Help with a (g)lmer code

Saudi Sadiq-2
Dear Sir/Madam,

Hope everyone is safe and sound. I appreciate your help a lot.

I am evaluating two Arabic subtitles of a humorous English scene and asked
263 participants (part) to evaluate the two subtitles (named Standard
Arabic, SA, and Egyptian Arabic, EA) via a questionnaire that asked them to
rank the two subtitles in terms of how much each subtitle is

2) more humorous (hum),

5) closer to Egyptian culture (cul)

The questionnaire contained two 1-10 linear scale questions regarding the 2
points clarified, with 1 meaning the most humorous and closest to Egyptian
culture, and 1 meaning the least humorous and furthest from Egyptian
culture. Also, the questionnaire had a general multiple-choice question
regarding which subtitle is better in general (better). General information
about the participants were also collected concerning gender (categorical
factor), age (numeric factor) and education (categorical factor).

Two versions of the questionnaire were relied on: one showing the ‘SA
subtitle first’ and another showing the ‘EA subtitle first’. Nearly half
the participants answered the first and nearly half answered the latter.

I am focusing on which social factor/s lead/s the participants to evaluate
one of the two subtitles as generally better and which subtitle is more
humorous and closer to Egyptian culture. Each of these points alone can be
the dependent factor, but the results altogether can be linked.

I thought that mixed effects analyses would clarify the picture and answer
the research questions (which  factor/s lead/s participants to favour a
subtitle over another?) and, so,  tried the lme4 package in R and ran many
models but all the codes I have used are not working.

I ran the following codes, which yielded Error messages, like:

model1<- lmer (better ~ gender + age + education + WF + (1 | part),
data=sub_data)

Error: number of levels of each grouping factor must be < number of
observations (problems: part)

Model2 <- glmer (better ~ gender + age + education + WF + (1 | part), data
= sub_data, family='binomial')

Error in mkRespMod(fr, family = family) :

  response must be numeric or factor

Model3 <- glmer (better ~ age + gender + education + WF + (1 | part), data
= sub_data, family='binomial', control=glmerControl(optimizer=c("bobyqa")))

Error in mkRespMod(fr, family = family) :

  response must be numeric or factor

Why does the model crash? Does the problem lie in the random factor part (which
is a code for participants)? Or is it something related to the mixed
effects analysis?

Best
Saudi Sadiq

Re: Help with a (g)lmer code

Jim Lemon-4
Hi Saudi,
I can only make a guess, but that is that a variable having a unique
value for each participant has been read in as a factor. I assume that
"better" is some combination of "hum" and "cul" and exactly what is
WF?

Jim

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 5:27 AM Saudi Sadiq <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> Hope everyone is safe and sound. I appreciate your help a lot.
>
> I am evaluating two Arabic subtitles of a humorous English scene and asked
> 263 participants (part) to evaluate the two subtitles (named Standard
> Arabic, SA, and Egyptian Arabic, EA) via a questionnaire that asked them to
> rank the two subtitles in terms of how much each subtitle is
>
> 2) more humorous (hum),
>
> 5) closer to Egyptian culture (cul)
>

> The questionnaire contained two 1-10 linear scale questions regarding the 2
> points clarified, with 1 meaning the most humorous and closest to Egyptian
> culture, and 1 meaning the least humorous and furthest from Egyptian
> culture. Also, the questionnaire had a general multiple-choice question
> regarding which subtitle is better in general (better). General information
> about the participants were also collected concerning gender (categorical
> factor), age (numeric factor) and education (categorical factor).
>
> Two versions of the questionnaire were relied on: one showing the ‘SA
> subtitle first’ and another showing the ‘EA subtitle first’. Nearly half
> the participants answered the first and nearly half answered the latter.
>
> I am focusing on which social factor/s lead/s the participants to evaluate
> one of the two subtitles as generally better and which subtitle is more
> humorous and closer to Egyptian culture. Each of these points alone can be
> the dependent factor, but the results altogether can be linked.
>
> I thought that mixed effects analyses would clarify the picture and answer
> the research questions (which  factor/s lead/s participants to favour a
> subtitle over another?) and, so,  tried the lme4 package in R and ran many
> models but all the codes I have used are not working.
>
> I ran the following codes, which yielded Error messages, like:
>
> model1<- lmer (better ~ gender + age + education + WF + (1 | part),
> data=sub_data)
>
> Error: number of levels of each grouping factor must be < number of
> observations (problems: part)
>

> Model2 <- glmer (better ~ gender + age + education + WF + (1 | part), data
> = sub_data, family='binomial')
>
> Error in mkRespMod(fr, family = family) :
>
>   response must be numeric or factor
>

> Model3 <- glmer (better ~ age + gender + education + WF + (1 | part), data
> = sub_data, family='binomial', control=glmerControl(optimizer=c("bobyqa")))
>
> Error in mkRespMod(fr, family = family) :
>
>   response must be numeric or factor
>

> Why does the model crash? Does the problem lie in the random factor part (which
> is a code for participants)? Or is it something related to the mixed
> effects analysis?
>
> Best
> Saudi Sadiq

Re: Help with a (g)lmer code

Saudi Sadiq-2
Hi Jim,

So many thanks for your reply. I actually made a mistake in presenting the
problem; I should have clarified that the 1-10 linear scale questions went
as: 10 most humorous/closest to Egyptian culture and 1 the least. Also, I
should have attached some examples so the participant issue could be clear.
Here is attached the dataset (if there is no problem or I am not going
against the rules of the R-help group).

Actually, I wanted better to be the only dependent factor and asking
participants 'which subtitle is better?' could be enough, but I wanted to
have detailed information of why a subtitle is better by asking
participants specific questions (regarding which subtitle is more humorous
and closer to Egyptian culture). Most of the time, the total of the hum +
cul = better, but sometimes it is not (e.g. the sum for subtitle EA could
be bigger than for SA, but the participant prefers SA in the better
column).

The WF (*watched first*) is the mode via which participants watched the two
subtitles; some participants watched the SA subtitle first and other
watched the EA first.

Does this make sense?

All the best

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 at 05:24, Jim Lemon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > model1<- lmer (better ~ gender + age + education + WF + (1 | part),
> > data=sub_data)
> >
> > Error: number of levels of each grouping factor must be < number of
> > observations (problems: part)
> >

> > Model2 <- glmer (better ~ gender + age + education + WF + (1 | part),
> data
> > = sub_data, family='binomial')
> >
> > Error in mkRespMod(fr, family = family) :
> >
> >   response must be numeric or factor
> >

> > Model3 <- glmer (better ~ age + gender + education + WF + (1 | part),
> data
> > = sub_data, family='binomial',
> control=glmerControl(optimizer=c("bobyqa")))
> >
> > Error in mkRespMod(fr, family = family) :
> >
> >   response must be numeric or factor
> >

> > Why does the model crash? Does the problem lie in the random factor part
> (which
> > is a code for participants)? Or is it something related to the mixed

Saudi Sadiq,

Lecturer, Minia University, Egypt

Academia <http://york.academia.edu/SaudiSadiq>, Reserachgate
<https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Saudi_Sadiq>, Google Scholar
<https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=h0latzcAAAAJ&hl=en>, Publons
<https://publons.com/researcher/2950905/saudi-sadiq/>

Certified Translator by (Egyta) <https://www.egyta.com/>

Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, UK
<https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/>

Re: Help with a (g)lmer code

Bert Gunter-2
Questions on mixed models methodology, which this is, should be posted on
the r-sig-mixed-models list, not here.
That's where both the interest and expertise are.

sticking things into it."

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 7:19 AM Saudi Sadiq <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > Error in mkRespMod(fr, family = family) :
> > >
> > >   response must be numeric or factor
> > >

> > > Why does the model crash? Does the problem lie in the random factor
> part
> > (which
> > > is a code for participants)? Or is it something related to the mixed
> > > effects analysis?
> > >
> > > Best
> > > Saudi Sadiq
> > >
> > >         [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

> Saudi Sadiq,
>
> Lecturer, Minia University, Egypt
>
> Academia <http://york.academia.edu/SaudiSadiq>, Reserachgate
> <https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Saudi_Sadiq>, Google Scholar
> <https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=h0latzcAAAAJ&hl=en>, Publons
> <https://publons.com/researcher/2950905/saudi-sadiq/>
>
> Certified Translator by (Egyta) <https://www.egyta.com/>
>
> Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, UK

Re: Help with a (g)lmer code

Jim Lemon-4
Hi Saudi,
Apologies for the delay. (also returning to the list)
In your initial code:

model1<- lmer (better ~ gender + age + education + WF + (1 | part),
> data=sub_data)

you have age as a fixed effect and there are also 36 levels. This
probably causing the error you describe above and I have changed it to
a random factor. Your response variable is "better", which has the
same levels as WF and is not numeric. This looks like a mistake. I
have written four models with the "hum" and "cul" variables as
response variables. This looks more sensible to me. The levels of the
"education" variable are not ordered correctly. The following code
runs okay, but there is a singular fit for EA_cul. The effects seem to
be of education, except for the EA_cul model. The following may get
you started:

sub_data<-read.csv("sub_data.csv",stringsAsFactors=FALSE)
# get the education factor into the correct order
sub_data$education<-factor(sub_data$education,
 levels=c("seconadry or below","university","postgrad"))
library(lme4)
modelSA_hum<-lmer(SA_hum~gender+education+WF+(1|age),data=sub_data)
modelSA_cul<-lmer(SA_cul~gender+education+WF+(1|age),data=sub_data)
modelEA_hum<-lmer(EA_hum~gender+education+WF+(1|age),data=sub_data)
modelEA_cul<-lmer(EA_cul~gender+education+WF+(1|age),data=sub_data)
summary(modelSA_hum)
summary(modelSA_cul)
summary(modelEA_hum)
summary(modelEA_cul)