How do I import packages with the package I've built?

How do I import packages with the package I've built?

nutterb
I have successfully completed building a package to contain the
functions I commonly use.  However, I need to have other packages
installed in order for some of my functions to work.  I've been studying
the instructions on installing packages for about a month now, but still
haven't figured this one out.  From what I do understand, to import
additional packages I need some combination of commands in my
DESCRIPTION and NAMESPACE files.  Currently, these are what mine look
like:

DESCRIPTION
Package: myPackage
Type: Package
Title: Commonly used functions.
Version: 1.0
Date: 2007-11-08
Author: My Name
Maintainer: My Name <[hidden email]>
License: R 2.3.0
Depends: MASS, survival

NAMESPACE
export(func1, func2, ... , funcx)

import(MASS, survival)

These pass all the checks, and the package installs just fine, but it
doesn't load MASS and survival when I load myPackage.  What am I doing
wrong?

Benjamin

in America by U.S. News & World Report (2007).
Visit us online at http://www.clevelandclinic.org for
locations.

Confidentiality Note:  This message is intended for use\...{{dropped:13}}

Re: How do I import packages with the package I've built?

Uwe Ligges
There is a difference between importing a namespace and loading a package:

If you import functions from a namespace into your package, these
functions are known within that namespace, i.e. functions from your
package's namespace know the other functions and can use them. The user
still won't see those imported functions while working on the top level.
If you want the latter, you have to load the other package explicitly,
e.g. in your .onLoad directives.

Uwe Ligges

Nutter, Benjamin wrote:

> I have successfully completed building a package to contain the
> functions I commonly use.  However, I need to have other packages
> installed in order for some of my functions to work.  I've been studying
> the instructions on installing packages for about a month now, but still
> haven't figured this one out.  From what I do understand, to import
> additional packages I need some combination of commands in my
> DESCRIPTION and NAMESPACE files.  Currently, these are what mine look
> like:
>
> DESCRIPTION
> Package: myPackage
> Type: Package
> Title: Commonly used functions.
> Version: 1.0
> Date: 2007-11-08
> Author: My Name
> Maintainer: My Name <[hidden email]>
> License: R 2.3.0
> Depends: MASS, survival
>

> NAMESPACE
> export(func1, func2, ... , funcx)
>
> import(MASS, survival)
>

> These pass all the checks, and the package installs just fine, but it
> doesn't load MASS and survival when I load myPackage.  What am I doing
> wrong?
>
> Benjamin

> Cleveland Clinic is ranked one of the top hospitals
> in America by U.S. News & World Report (2007).
> Visit us online at http://www.clevelandclinic.org for
> a complete listing of our services, staff and
> locations.
>

> Confidentiality Note:  This message is intended for use\...{{dropped:13}}

Re: How do I import packages with the package I've built?

nutterb
So if I understand you correctly, if I include in my namespace file the
command    importFrom(MASS, stepAIC),   whenever stepAIC is called from
my package, it will still run even if I haven't explicitly imported the
MASS package?

Or if I use the command      import(survival)   then the functions in
the survival package will work within my functions even without
explicitly loading the package?

Thanks for the help.

Benjamin

Nutter, Benjamin wrote:
> So if I understand you correctly, if I include in my namespace file the
> command    importFrom(MASS, stepAIC),   whenever stepAIC is called from
> my package, it will still run even if I haven't explicitly imported the
> MASS package?

Yes.