How to activate the R commands in SciViews

How to activate the R commands in SciViews

Felipe Carrillo
Please help, I have SciViews(svGUI) and Rcmdr but when the SciViews Console opens the R commander menu don't work. Any ideas anybody?

How to activate the R commands in SciViews

Liviu Andronic
Hello everybody,

I have a problem similar to that reported by Felipe. I installed R
2.5.0, Rcmdr from CRAN and SciViews-R 0.8-9 (with all the required and
optional components).

When accessing the R Commander menu from within
SciViews, the links cannot be clicked. When pointing at them, the mouse
transforms in a hand (as it normally does, similar to Internet
hyperlinks). However, the links cannot be activated. I had the
impression that in some way SciViews makes use of Internet Explorer in
its GUI, and that the problem was somewhere there. But I could not get
to the bottom of it.

Is there any way to make SciViews correctly use Rcmdr functionality?

Thanks in advance,
Liviu

--
Liviu

Re: How to activate the R commands in SciViews

Philippe Grosjean
As explained on the web page from where you downloaded SciViews 0.8-9,
this version is not compatible with R 2.5.0.
Best,

Philippe Grosjean
..............................................<∞}))><........
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Prof. Philippe Grosjean
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Numerical Ecology of Aquatic Systems
  ) ) ) ) )   Mons-Hainaut University, Belgium
( ( ( ( (

Liviu Andronic wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I have a problem similar to that reported by Felipe. I installed R
> 2.5.0, Rcmdr from CRAN and SciViews-R 0.8-9 (with all the required and
> optional components).
>
> When accessing the R Commander menu from within
> SciViews, the links cannot be clicked. When pointing at them, the mouse
> transforms in a hand (as it normally does, similar to Internet
> hyperlinks). However, the links cannot be activated. I had the
> impression that in some way SciViews makes use of Internet Explorer in
> its GUI, and that the problem was somewhere there. But I could not get
> to the bottom of it.
>
> Is there any way to make SciViews correctly use Rcmdr functionality?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Liviu
>

> On 6/20/07, Felipe Carrillo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Please help, I have SciViews(svGUI) and Rcmdr but when the SciViews Console opens the R commander menu don't work. Any ideas anybody?

How to activate the R commands in SciViews

Liviu Andronic
Thank you for the pointer.

On the SciViews official site
(http://www.sciviews.org/SciViews-R/index.html) I could not find any
indications on this incompatibility. At any rate, I would have two
questions related to the future of SciViews-R.

Are there any developments planned in some near future that would make
SciViews compatible with recent versions of R and Rcmdr? At the
Unviversity of Social Sciences of Toulouse, for example, the most
recent version of R is installed. And for statistics introductory
classes, SciViews would be an important advantage. R should be
downgraded to which version for the two to be compatible?

Secondly, is there any chance that SciViews become available on Linux,
again in some not so distant future? That is, would the tcltk2 package
be ported to other OS's and would SciViews be subsequently enhanced to
build on such systems? Last time I checked the net, no interesting
information was available as to such developments. Maybe there is some
beta version of tcltk2 that I don't know of..

Regards,
Liviu