How to create path for OpenBUGS into R using R2OpenBUGS with new Wineskin-Winery 1.8.4.1/Wineskin2.9.06-1 on MacOS Catalina 10.15.5

How to create path for OpenBUGS into R using R2OpenBUGS with new Wineskin-Winery 1.8.4.1/Wineskin2.9.06-1 on MacOS Catalina 10.15.5

Jordan Rogan
Hi!

I recently downloaded the new Wineskin-Winery 1.8.4.1/Wineskin2.9.06-1 onto
my mac adapted for the limitations for MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 that caused
old versions of Wine to no longer work. I downloaded it so that I could
download the Windows program OpenBUGS and use R2openBUGS in R to use the
program. I am not very experienced with R, and I am trying to figure out
how to call OpenBUGS into R with R2OpenBUGS with the new
wineskin/wineskin-winery version. I found older code using the Wine
argument in R2OpenBuGS, but I think the path has significantly changed with
the new version of Wineskin which is not downloaded using homebrew as old
versions of Wine were. I think I just need to figure out how to create the
correct path for the new version of wine--I do not know if this is possible
using the old wine argument designed for older versions of wine.

I downloaded the new Wineskin from here:
https://github.com/Gcenx/WineskinServer/releases

The old path for OpenBUGS and R2OpenBUGS for older versions of wine I found
were: WINE="/usr/local/Cellar/wine/2.0.4/bin/wine"
WINEPATH="/usr/local/Cellar/wine/2.0.4/bin/winepath"
OpenBUGS.pgm="/Applications/OpenBUGS323/OpenBUGS.exe"

But trying to do the same, I received the error message: "Error in
bugs(spp.data, inits, params, "model1.txt", debug = T, n.chains = nc, : *unused
argument (OpenBUGS.pgm = bugs)"*

Part of my confusion is what the difference is between the arguments "wine"
and "winepath". There is also an argument "newWINE" that says: "Use new
versions of Wine that have ‘winepath’ utility", but I don't know if my
version of wine has this, and how this argument is then written.

If I go to the "get info" on where my wineskin app is on my computer, the
path is (while redacting my name)
"/Users/firstname_lastname/Applications/Wineskin/Wineskin-2.9.0.7.app".
Maybe this would work? But I don't know if this would be in the argument
for wine, or winepath.

I think perhaps if I can adapt the path, it will work. But I'm not sure
exactly what is needed, particularly for the new version of wine for MacOS
Catalina, and if the old wine arguments even work with the new version of
wine. If anyone could help I would sincerely appreciate it. Thanks!!

--
Jordan Rogan

Ph.D. Candidate, Applied Biodiversity Sciences
Department of Ecology and Conservation Biology (ECCB)
Texas A&M University
Website: jordanrogan.wordpress.com | Twitter: @jordrogan | Skype: jord0123

Re: How to create path for OpenBUGS into R using R2OpenBUGS with new Wineskin-Winery 1.8.4.1/Wineskin2.9.06-1 on MacOS Catalina 10.15.5

Jeff Newmiller
While you might get lucky here, there are two indicators in your post that suggest a different venue would be appropriate: one is that your question is very specific regarding a contributed package... this venue is about the language and base packages. Second, your customized (Wine+MacOSX) platform is very non-standard, though the nearest hit in the mailing lists may be r-sig-mac or r-sig-debian, since users on either of those platforms might have been tempted to use Wine at some point. But really you may need to ask in a Wine-specific mailing list because this smells like Wine-vs-Catalina incompatibility rather than an R issue.