How to turn a LaTeX Sweave file (Rnw) into .HTML/.odf/.docx? (under windows)

How to turn a LaTeX Sweave file (Rnw) into .HTML/.odf/.docx? (under windows)

Tal Galili
Hello dear R help members,
I have found several references on how to do this, my question is if anyone
is actually using them - and if there are some strong points on what to use,
and how well it is working out.

My goal is to be able to easily create docs from R, but to be able to share
it with other researchers (who do not use LaTeX) so they could easily
copy/paste the tables and edit them for their needs (pdf is not solving this
for me).

The only reasonable solution I came by so far is to use HTML markup coupled
with R2HTML (or odfWeave or R2wd).  But nothing that can work with
LaTeX->HTML (easily)

I have asked a similar question here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7512897/how-to-turn-a-latex-sweave-file-rnw-into-html
And also noticed it was asked half a year ago here:
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/4145/workflow-for-converting-latex-into-open-office-ms-word-format
The general issue of TeX to HTML was discussed also in these places:
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/50/how-can-i-convert-math-less-latex-documents-into-microsoft-word

And obviously the following page offers other good resources to consider:
http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/ReproducibleResearch.html

p.s: I search the R-help for this topic, but "sweave html" didn't seem to
yield good results - my apologies if this has been heavily debated before -
links would be welcomed as well.

Tal

----------------Contact
Contact me: [hidden email] |  972-52-7275845
www.r-statistics.com (English)

Re: How to turn a LaTeX Sweave file (Rnw) into .HTML/.odf/.docx? (under windows)

Abhijit Dasgupta, PhD-2
So, I was playing around a bit on my Mac ----

LyX can do Sweave (see http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/LyxWithRThroughSweave), and will actually output HTML or ODT. However, on a cursory pass, I couldn't get the graphics to translate, since the Sweave driver translates the graphics as .ps or .pdf files, and I'm not sure the HTML translator looks for them or can accept them. The math actually translates nicely. So there is probably potential here.

Abhijit

On Sep 22, 2011, at 7:09 PM, Tal Galili wrote:

> Hello dear R help members,
> I have found several references on how to do this, my question is if anyone
> is actually using them - and if there are some strong points on what to use,
> and how well it is working out.
>
> My goal is to be able to easily create docs from R, but to be able to share
> it with other researchers (who do not use LaTeX) so they could easily
> copy/paste the tables and edit them for their needs (pdf is not solving this
> for me).
>
> The only reasonable solution I came by so far is to use HTML markup coupled
> with R2HTML (or odfWeave or R2wd).  But nothing that can work with
> LaTeX->HTML (easily)
>
> I have asked a similar question here:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7512897/how-to-turn-a-latex-sweave-file-rnw-into-html
> And also noticed it was asked half a year ago here:
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/4145/workflow-for-converting-latex-into-open-office-ms-word-format
> The general issue of TeX to HTML was discussed also in these places:
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/50/how-can-i-convert-math-less-latex-documents-into-microsoft-word
>
> And obviously the following page offers other good resources to consider:
> http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/ReproducibleResearch.html
>
> p.s: I search the R-help for this topic, but "sweave html" didn't seem to
> yield good results - my apologies if this has been heavily debated before -
> links would be welcomed as well.
>

> Tal
>

> ----------------Contact
> Details:-------------------------------------------------------
> Contact me: [hidden email] |  972-52-7275845
> Read me: www.talgalili.com (Hebrew) | www.biostatistics.co.il (Hebrew) |
> www.r-statistics.com (English)

Re: How to turn a LaTeX Sweave file (Rnw) into .HTML/.odf/.docx? (under windows)

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 11-09-22 8:38 PM, Abhijit Dasgupta wrote:
> So, I was playing around a bit on my Mac ----
>
> LyX can do Sweave (see http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/LyxWithRThroughSweave), and will actually output HTML or ODT. However, on a cursory pass, I couldn't get the graphics to translate,
 > since the Sweave driver translates the graphics as .ps or .pdf files,

Just a note:  Sweave is more flexible nowadays, thanks to some big
improvements by Brian Ripley.  It can produce png or jpeg figures if you
need those.

Can't help much with the original problem.  R doesn't use .tex when it
needs to produce HTML:  it uses .texi (texinfo) or its own  .Rd format.
  The latter is unlikely to suit general purpose documents, it's just
for help pages.  The former is a bit of a PITA to use.

Duncan Murdoch

and I'm not sure the HTML translator looks for them or can accept them.
The math actually translates nicely. So there is probably potential here.

> Abhijit
>

> On Sep 22, 2011, at 7:09 PM, Tal Galili wrote:
>
>> Hello dear R help members,
>> I have found several references on how to do this, my question is if anyone
>> is actually using them - and if there are some strong points on what to use,
>> and how well it is working out.
>>
>> My goal is to be able to easily create docs from R, but to be able to share
>> it with other researchers (who do not use LaTeX) so they could easily
>> copy/paste the tables and edit them for their needs (pdf is not solving this
>> for me).
>>
>> The only reasonable solution I came by so far is to use HTML markup coupled
>> with R2HTML (or odfWeave or R2wd).  But nothing that can work with
>> LaTeX->HTML (easily)
>>
>> I have asked a similar question here:
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7512897/how-to-turn-a-latex-sweave-file-rnw-into-html
>> And also noticed it was asked half a year ago here:
>> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/4145/workflow-for-converting-latex-into-open-office-ms-word-format
>> The general issue of TeX to HTML was discussed also in these places:
>> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/50/how-can-i-convert-math-less-latex-documents-into-microsoft-word
>>
>> And obviously the following page offers other good resources to consider:
>> http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/ReproducibleResearch.html
>>
>> p.s: I search the R-help for this topic, but "sweave html" didn't seem to
>> yield good results - my apologies if this has been heavily debated before -
>> links would be welcomed as well.
>>

>> Tal
>>

>> ----------------Contact
>> Details:-------------------------------------------------------
>> Contact me: [hidden email] |  972-52-7275845
>> Read me: www.talgalili.com (Hebrew) | www.biostatistics.co.il (Hebrew) |
>> www.r-statistics.com (English)

Re: How to turn a LaTeX Sweave file (Rnw) into .HTML/.odf/.docx? (under windows)

baptiste auguie-5
Have you tried asciidoc (ascii package)? It seems like a good fit for
your needs.

baptiste

On 23 September 2011 11:09, Tal Galili <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello dear R help members,
> I have found several references on how to do this, my question is if anyone
> is actually using them - and if there are some strong points on what to use,
> and how well it is working out.
>
> My goal is to be able to easily create docs from R, but to be able to share
> it with other researchers (who do not use LaTeX) so they could easily
> copy/paste the tables and edit them for their needs (pdf is not solving this
> for me).
>
> The only reasonable solution I came by so far is to use HTML markup coupled
> with R2HTML (or odfWeave or R2wd).  But nothing that can work with
> LaTeX->HTML (easily)
>
> I have asked a similar question here:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7512897/how-to-turn-a-latex-sweave-file-rnw-into-html
> And also noticed it was asked half a year ago here:
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/4145/workflow-for-converting-latex-into-open-office-ms-word-format
> The general issue of TeX to HTML was discussed also in these places:
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/50/how-can-i-convert-math-less-latex-documents-into-microsoft-word
>
> And obviously the following page offers other good resources to consider:
> http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/ReproducibleResearch.html
>
> p.s: I search the R-help for this topic, but "sweave html" didn't seem to
> yield good results - my apologies if this has been heavily debated before -
> links would be welcomed as well.
>

> Tal
>

> ----------------Contact
> Details:-------------------------------------------------------
> Contact me: [hidden email] |  972-52-7275845
> Read me: www.talgalili.com (Hebrew) | www.biostatistics.co.il (Hebrew) |
> www.r-statistics.com (English)

Re: How to turn a LaTeX Sweave file (Rnw) into .HTML/.odf/.docx? (under windows)

Michael Hannon
> I have found several references on how to do this, my question is if anyone
> is actually using them - and if there are some strong points on what to use,
> and how well it is working out.

> My goal is to be able to easily create docs from R, but to be able to share
> it with other researchers (who do not use LaTeX) so they could easily
> copy/paste the tables and edit them for their needs (pdf is not solving this
> for me).

> The only reasonable solution I came by so far is to use HTML markup coupled
> with R2HTML (or odfWeave or R2wd).  But nothing that can work with
> LaTeX->HTML (easily)

[...]

Hi, Tal.  This isn't an answer to the question you asked, but the Emacs
Org-Mode package is pretty good at exporting to various file formats (and the
source code, including tables, is purely text anyway).  Have a look at:

    http://orgmode.org/

and, in particular:

    http://orgmode.org/guide/Exporting.html#Exporting

Even if this does, in principle, solve your problem, it may be too big a gulp
to swallow if you're not already using Emacs.

-- Mike

Re: How to turn a LaTeX Sweave file (Rnw) into .HTML/.odf/.docx? (under windows)

Joshua Wiley-2
Hi Tal,

Just another note, I recently joined the R2HTML team.  I am still
slogging through the Sweave code trying to understand it better, but
in the coming months I will be working on implementing more of the
features in R's RweaveLatex() driver for HTML.  This will not
precisely help a LaTeX to HTML conversion, but will perhaps make a
pure HTML implementation more palatable.

HTML5 is theoretically supported on the latest browsers and has
supports mathml which *should* provide a means of including elegant
formulae in HTML pages.  In my experience, there seems to be
considerable cross-browser/version variability.  Here is an example
that seems to work fairly well for most browsers (thanks to mathjax):
http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/r/dae/rreg.htm

Cheers,

Josh

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Tal Galili <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello dear R help members,
> I have found several references on how to do this, my question is if anyone
> is actually using them - and if there are some strong points on what to use,
> and how well it is working out.
>
> My goal is to be able to easily create docs from R, but to be able to share
> it with other researchers (who do not use LaTeX) so they could easily
> copy/paste the tables and edit them for their needs (pdf is not solving this
> for me).
>
> The only reasonable solution I came by so far is to use HTML markup coupled
> with R2HTML (or odfWeave or R2wd).  But nothing that can work with
> LaTeX->HTML (easily)
>
> I have asked a similar question here:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7512897/how-to-turn-a-latex-sweave-file-rnw-into-html
> And also noticed it was asked half a year ago here:
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/4145/workflow-for-converting-latex-into-open-office-ms-word-format
> The general issue of TeX to HTML was discussed also in these places:
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/50/how-can-i-convert-math-less-latex-documents-into-microsoft-word
>
> And obviously the following page offers other good resources to consider:
> http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/ReproducibleResearch.html
>
> p.s: I search the R-help for this topic, but "sweave html" didn't seem to
> yield good results - my apologies if this has been heavily debated before -
> links would be welcomed as well.
>

> Tal
>

> ----------------Contact
> Details:-------------------------------------------------------
> Contact me: [hidden email] |  972-52-7275845
> Read me: www.talgalili.com (Hebrew) | www.biostatistics.co.il (Hebrew) |
> www.r-statistics.com (English)

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology
Programmer Analyst II, ATS Statistical Consulting Group
University of California, Los Angeles
https://joshuawiley.com/

Re: How to turn a LaTeX Sweave file (Rnw) into .HTML/.odf/.docx? (under windows)

Frank Harrell
Take a look at http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/SweaveConvert

The most general approach is to convert from PDF to word using one of the web sites.  An example is given (input + output) in the above site.

Frank

Joshua Wiley-2 wrote