How to use tapply with more than one variables grouped

12

How to use tapply with more than one variables grouped

noobmin
I'm studying alone the R language for data preparation. I found a course at MIT for data preparation that uses python but I'm using R to learning. The first exercise is the preparation of data from a database that shows the contributions made to candidates for U.S. president. The database is described in FORMART ftp://ftp.fec.gov/FEC/Presidential_Map/2012/DATA_DICTIONARIES/CONTRIBUTOR_FORMAT.txt link. I wonder how to print the table showing how many states are President Obama the top candidate (by full amount of donations received) with R language?

I try using tapply method but, i dont understand how to working with more than one variable grouped. Could anyone help me in advance of the studies?

Re: How to use tapply with more than one variables grouped

PIKAL Petr
Hi

How did you use tapply? Did you read help page? It points to ?aggregate which is maybe what you are looking for.

Regards
Petr

Re: How to use tapply with more than one variables grouped

noobmin
interTable <-data.frame (Tapply ($ contb_receipt_amt date, list ($ cand_nm date, $ contbr_st date), sum))

I got create a table with the sum total contribution (contb_receipt_amt) of each presidential candidate (cand_nm) in each state (contbr_st). How could from interTable create a table of  states where candidate 'Obama' has received greater Contribution?

thanks

Re: How to use tapply with more than one variables grouped

PIKAL Petr
Hi

Greater than what? How does the table look like? Sorry I forgot my crystal ball at home.

Maybe you want to look to

?"]"

Regards
Petr

> thanks

Re: How to use tapply with more than one variables grouped

Bert Gunter
Inline.

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 6:55 AM, PIKAL Petr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi

-- or ?"["  rather.  :-)

-- Bert

> Regards
> Petr
>

>> thanks
>>

>> --

Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics

Internal Contact Info:
Phone: 467-7374
Website:

Re: How to use tapply with more than one variables grouped

PIKAL Petr
Hi

THX
Correct, I forgot to check.
Regards
Petr

> -- Bert
>

> > Regards
> > Petr
> >

> >> thanks
> >>

> >> --

> Bert Gunter
> Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics
>
> Internal Contact Info:
> Phone: 467-7374
> Website:
> http://pharmadevelopment.roche.com/index/pdb/pdb-functional-groups/pdb-
> biostatistics/pdb-ncb-home.htm

Re: How to use tapply with more than one variables grouped

noobmin
I believe that previously could not be understood. To facilitate'll give you an example. Assuming my table is presented below with the amount received from each candidate for president in a particular country state.

                   AL  AR  CA  NY
Doug     250 250 250  NA
Jennifer  20 340 300 100
Michele  250 500 250  60
Obama     15  45 520 600

I would like to list the states where Obama has higher amount received (ie in CA and NY) and also the number of states, in this case 2. How to do this?

Thanks

Re: How to use tapply with more than one variables grouped

noobmin
I used these commands previously:

data <- read.csv("test.csv")
> tbl= data.frame(tapply(data$contb_receipt_amt,list(data$cand_nm,data$contbr_st),sum))
> tbl
                AL  AR  CA  NY
Doug     250 250 250  NA
Jennifer  20 340 300 100
Michele  250 500 250  60
Obama     15  45 520 600

Re: How to use tapply with more than one variables grouped

PIKAL Petr
Hi

and what is wrong?

Petr

arun kirshna

If the criteria is to pick which among the following states are the top 2 contributors for each candidate,
dat1<-read.table(text="

                  AL  AR  CA  NY
Doug    250 250 250  NA
Jennifer  20 340 300 100
Michele  250 500 250  60
Obama    15  45 520 600
",header=TRUE,stringsAsFactors=FALSE,sep="")

#for Obama
apply(dat1,1,function(x,n) x[which(rank(x)>length(x)-n)],n=2)[4]
#$Obama
# CA  NY
#520 600

Your question was to list the states where Obama has higher amount received compared to ??

A.K.

To take this example I reduced the number of records absurdly. In the original database there are 48 000 candidates and dozens of states. There is no way to analyze data visually. I would not put 400 mb of tables here. But based on the example how could list the states where obama received more contribution?

Re: How to use tapply with more than one variables grouped

arun kirshna

Suppose if you have a threshold (say >500), then:

dat1<-read.table(text="
                  AL  AR  CA  NY
Doug    250 250 250  NA
Jennifer  20 340 300 100
Michele  250 500 250  60
Obama    15  45 520 600
",header=TRUE,stringsAsFactors=FALSE,sep="")
 res<-unlist(lapply(split(dat1,rownames(dat1)),function(x) x[x[!is.na(x)]>500]))
 res
Obama.CA Obama.NY
     520      600

# And suppose the threshold is >400
res1<-unlist(lapply(split(dat1,rownames(dat1)),function(x) x[x[!is.na(x)]>400]))
 res1
#Michele.AR   Obama.CA   Obama.NY
  #     500        520        600

res1[grep("Obama",names(res1))] #amount received for Obama
#Obama.CA Obama.NY
  #   520      600
 length(res1[grep("Obama",names(res1))])
#[1] 2
A.K.

Re: How to use tapply with more than one variables grouped

noobmin
The criteria is to list where Obama has a higher number of contributions. The table shows the number of contribution that each presidential candidate received in a state of the country.

The table shown is an example, the query should be generic to a database with hundreds of candidates and dozens of states of the country. The original base has 450 mb, in real database I'm don't know  how many contry states Obama has more donations, but in sample is in CA and NA. Michelle wins more contribution on AR....

Thanks

Re: How to use tapply with more than one variables grouped

arun kirshna
Your statement
"The criteria is to list where Obama has a higher number of contributions."

"Higher" means higher than the highest of all the other candidates or  ....
Bit confused with the statement
A.K.

Re: How to use tapply with more than one variables grouped

noobmin
Thank you! This seems to work, just do not understand why you used a
threshold?

I will study your solution, thanks again!

Re: How to use tapply with more than one variables grouped

noobmin
I meant where obama has higher value compared to other candidates. Looking at the column NY, Obama has the highest. So to state that he wins. Looking for AR column, Michelle wins. I JUST want to list where obama wins.

Thank you! This seems to work, just do not understand why you used a threshold?

I will study your solution, thanks again!

Re: How to use tapply with more than one variables grouped

arun kirshna

Your question is not clear.

Suppose if you want to find the highest two contributions for each candidate:

dat1<-read.table(text="
                  AL  AR  CA  NY
Doug    250 250 250  NA
Jennifer  20 340 300 100
Michele  250 500 250  60
Obama    15  45 520 600
",header=TRUE,stringsAsFactors=FALSE,sep="")

res1<-unlist(lapply(split(dat1,rownames(dat1)),function(x) tail(apply(x,1,sort),2)))
nam1<-unlist(lapply(lapply(split(dat1,rownames(dat1)),function(x) tail(apply(x,1,sort),2)),function(x) dimnames(x)[1]),use.names=F)
names(res1)<-paste(names(res1),nam1,sep="_")
names(res1)<-gsub("\\d+","",names(res1))
res1
  #  Doug_AR     Doug_CA Jennifer_CA Jennifer_AR  Michele_CA  Michele_AR
    #    250         250         300         340         250         500
  # Obama_CA    Obama_NY
    #    520         600

#Contribution for Obama
res1[grep("Obama",names(res1))]
#Obama_CA Obama_NY
  #   520      600

A.K.

Re: How to use tapply with more than one variables grouped

You're posting on Nabble, so we don't see earlier messages in the thread here.

-- Bert

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 11:36 AM, noobmin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The criteria is to list where Obama has a higher number of contributions. The
> table shows the number of contribution that each presidential candidate
> received in a state of the country.
>
> The table shown is an example, the query should be generic to a database
> with hundreds of candidates and dozens of states of the country. The
> original base has 450 mb, in real database I'm don't know  how many contry
> states Obama has more donations, but in sample is in CA and NA. Michelle
> wins more contribution on AR....
>
> Thanks

Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics

Internal Contact Info:
Phone: 467-7374
Website:

Re: How to use tapply with more than one variables grouped

arun kirshna

HI,

I think I understand what you meant.  This will output all those states where contribution for Obama is higher than all the other candidates.

dat1<-read.table(text="
                  AL  AR  CA  NY
Doug    250 250 250  NA
Jennifer  20 340 300 100
Michele  250 500 250  60
Obama    15  45 520 600
",header=TRUE,stringsAsFactors=FALSE,sep="")
 res<-unlist(lapply(apply(dat1,2,function(x) x[!is.na(x)]),function(x) x[all(x["Obama"]>x[names(x)!=names(x)[grep("Obama",names(x))]])]))
res[grep("Obama",names(res))]
#CA.Obama NY.Obama
  #   520      600
A.K.

Re: How to use tapply with more than one variables grouped

noobmin
             AL  AR  CA  NY
Doug    250 250 250  NA
Jennifer  20 340 300 100
Michele  250 500 250  60
Obama    15  45 520 600

My English is not very good, I'll try again. I want to list ALL states in the country where Obama had greater contribution. The table above shows the total contribution received by each candidate in a given state. To AL state obama not received more than Doug. For the AR state he received no more than others candidates. For the CA state he received a total of $ 520, which is 520>300>250>=250 and should be selected. In NY also had the largest contribution, $ 600, 600>100>60 and should therefore be selected.

I want to make it to the N presidency candidates and M states of the country. The table above is only an example.

Sorry again, for me it was clear. = (
Thanks
12