IRkernel Installation Issues

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

IRkernel Installation Issues

PaulJr
Hello everyone,

I tried to get the IRkernel going doing the following:

install.packages(c('repr', 'IRdisplay', 'evaluate', 'crayon', 'pbdZMQ',
'devtools', 'uuid', 'digest'))

then taking care of proxy settings by doing:

library(devtools)

library(httr)

set_config(use_proxy(url="",port=8080,username="user",password="pswrd"))

then installed package install_github

then called library(githubinstall)

finally install_github(('IRkernel')

However the following error popped up: "Error in username %||%
getOption("github.user") %||% stop("Unknown username.") :
  Unknown username.

Any idea what could be wrong? I tried with buth my network username and
password and my github username and password without any success.

Regards,

Paul

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IRkernel Installation Issues

David Winsemius

> On Jan 5, 2017, at 11:16 AM, Paul Bernal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I tried to get the IRkernel going doing the following:
>
> install.packages(c('repr', 'IRdisplay', 'evaluate', 'crayon', 'pbdZMQ',
> 'devtools', 'uuid', 'digest'))
>
> then taking care of proxy settings by doing:
>
> library(devtools)
>
> library(httr)
>
> set_config(use_proxy(url="",port=8080,username="user",password="pswrd"))
>
> then installed package install_github
>
> then called library(githubinstall)
>
> finally install_github(('IRkernel')

The mismatch of parentheses makes me doubt this was an exact copy. I believe the username referred to in the error refers to the username of the author, not your username. Notice the form of all the examples on `?install_github` are of the form:  install_github("klutometis/roxygen")

 Why are you not trying the code suggested on the github page:
https://github.com/IRkernel/IRkernel

 install_github('IRkernel/IRkernel')

(Worked for me on a Mac. No other username or pwd needed)


>
> However the following error popped up: "Error in username %||%
> getOption("github.user") %||% stop("Unknown username.") :
>  Unknown username.
>
> Any idea what could be wrong? I tried with buth my network username and
> password and my github username and password without any success.
>
> Regards,
>
> Paul
>
> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

R-help is a plain text mailing list.

>
> ______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
> PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
> and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IRkernel Installation Issues

PaulJr
Dear friends,

Great news! I was able to install the IRkernel successfully and I am now
able to create R notebooks in Jupyter. Just in case anybody out there is
struggling with this too, here is what I did (I have Windows 8, but it will
probably work for Mac OS X as well):

1-Go to the page https://irkernel.github.io/installation
2-Open the R console (I have R version 3.3.2)
3-Go to the step where it says "Installing via supplied binary packages
(default on Windows + Mac OS X)
4-Instead of installing all the packages using one single command as
suggested in the installation instructions, go to the R console and install
all of the packages one by one, as follows
 >install.packages('repr')
 >install.packages('IRdisplay')
 >install.packages('evaluate')
 >install.packages('crayon')
 >install.packages('pbdZMQ')
 >install.packages('devtools')
 >install.packages('uuid')
 >install.packages('digest')
5-Connect to a CRAN mirror and select install packages, look for the
package githubinstall and clic on it to install it
6-Start loading each one of the packages installed like this:
 >library("repr")
 >library("IRdisplay")
 >library("evaluate")
 >library("crayon")
 >library("pbdZMQ")
 >library("devtools")
 >library("uuid")
 >library("digest")
 >library("githubinstall")
7-After this you have to update jsonlite which is a dependencie of package
githubinstall, you update jsonlite using the following command:
 >update.packages('jsonlite')
8-After this, you have to type the following commands:
 >library(httr)
 >set_config(use_proxy(url="the required IP", port=8080, username="your
network user", password="the password you use to unlock your computer"))
 >#you can get the required IP going to the command prompt and using the
command ping
 >#port has to be 8080
9-type use the command:
 >devtools::install_github('IRkernel/IRkernel')
10-Last but not least, type the following command:
 >IRkernel::installspec()

If you follow this instructions you should be able to install the IRkernel
successfully and start writing R notebooks in Jupyter.

Hope this helps,

Paul





2017-01-05 16:12 GMT-05:00 David Winsemius <[hidden email]>:

>
> > On Jan 5, 2017, at 11:16 AM, Paul Bernal <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I tried to get the IRkernel going doing the following:
> >
> > install.packages(c('repr', 'IRdisplay', 'evaluate', 'crayon', 'pbdZMQ',
> > 'devtools', 'uuid', 'digest'))
> >
> > then taking care of proxy settings by doing:
> >
> > library(devtools)
> >
> > library(httr)
> >
> > set_config(use_proxy(url="",port=8080,username="user",password="pswrd"))
> >
> > then installed package install_github
> >
> > then called library(githubinstall)
> >
> > finally install_github(('IRkernel')
>
> The mismatch of parentheses makes me doubt this was an exact copy. I
> believe the username referred to in the error refers to the username of the
> author, not your username. Notice the form of all the examples on
> `?install_github` are of the form:  install_github("klutometis/roxygen")
>
>  Why are you not trying the code suggested on the github page:
> https://github.com/IRkernel/IRkernel
>
>  install_github('IRkernel/IRkernel')
>
> (Worked for me on a Mac. No other username or pwd needed)
>
>
> >
> > However the following error popped up: "Error in username %||%
> > getOption("github.user") %||% stop("Unknown username.") :
> >  Unknown username.
> >
> > Any idea what could be wrong? I tried with buth my network username and
> > password and my github username and password without any success.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Paul
> >
> >       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]
>
> R-help is a plain text mailing list.
>
> >
> > ______________________________________________
> > [hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
> > https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
> > PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/
> posting-guide.html
> > and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
>
> David Winsemius
> Alameda, CA, USA
>
>

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.