In which application areas is R used?

John Maindonald
If anyone has a list of application areas where there is
extensive use of R, I'd like to hear of it. My current
short list is:

Bioinformatics
Epidemiology
Geophysics
Agriculture and crop science

John Maindonald
Mathematical Sciences Institute, Australian National University.

Re: In which application areas is R used?

Rajarshi Guha

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 06:35:00 +1100, "John Maindonald" wrote:

> If anyone has a list of application areas where there is
> extensive use of R, I'd like to hear of it. My current
> short list is:
>
> Bioinformatics
> Epidemiology
> Geophysics
> Agriculture and crop science

Cheminformatics and QSAR

Rajarshi Guha
<[hidden email]>
<http://jijo.cjb.net>

Re: In which application areas is R used?

Philippe Grosjean
You could probably add:
- Fisheries modelling
- Oceanography

Although there is still resistance of other software there, R is gaining
more and more users in these fields.
Best,

Philippe Grosjean

P.S.: if you need actual examples, just ask... ;-)

John Maindonald wrote:

> If anyone has a list of application areas where there is
> extensive use of R, I'd like to hear of it. My current
> short list is:
>
> Bioinformatics
> Epidemiology
> Geophysics
> Agriculture and crop science
>
> John Maindonald
> Mathematical Sciences Institute, Australian National University.

Re: In which application areas is R used?

Francisco J. Zagmutt
If it hasn't been mentioned yet, and if you want to consider this as a
separate discipline from the ones mentioned below, we also use it for
simulation modeling and risk analysis.

Francisco

>From: "John Maindonald" <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: [R] In which application areas is R used?
>Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 06:35:00 +1100 (EST)
>
>If anyone has a list of application areas where there is
>extensive use of R, I'd like to hear of it. My current
>short list is:
>
>Bioinformatics
>Epidemiology
>Geophysics
>Agriculture and crop science
>
>John Maindonald
>Mathematical Sciences Institute, Australian National University.
>[hidden email]

Re: In which application areas is R used?

Charles Annis, P.E.
Please don't forget engineering!  (e.g. fatigue and reliability - censored
regression and survival; quantitative nondestructive evaluation - GLM)

Charles Annis, P.E.

[hidden email]
phone: 561-352-9699
eFax:  614-455-3265
http://www.StatisticalEngineering.com

Re: In which application areas is R used?

Define "extensive."

I think your answers depend on your definition. I know a bunch of folks in
pharmaceutical preclinical R&D who use R for all sorts of stuff (analysis
and visualization of tox and efficacy animal studies, dose/response
modeling, PK work, IC50 determination, stability data analysis, etc.). Is
"bunch" a majority? I strongly doubt that it's near. Is it 5%, 10%, 30% ??
Dunno. Excel is still the Big Boy in most of these arenas I would bet. But I
would also bet that there are at least 1 or 2 folks in dozens of companies
who use R in for these things.

Is there a subtext to your query? -- i.e. are you trying to make an argument
for something?

-- Bert

Jim Porzak
& my favorites: customer/marketing analytics

--
HTH,
Jim Porzak

Re: In which application areas is R used?

John Maindonald
In this context "extensive" might be use of R in at least maybe 2% or 5%
of the published analyses in the area, enough to make waves and stir
awareness.

The immediate subtext is the demand of a book publisher for a list of
journals to which a new edition of a certain book might be sent for
review, and for a list of conferences where it might be given exposure.
For myself, in the medium to longer term, I am more interested in other
subtexts such as you mention, to which the answer might have relevance.

I've wondered what support there'd be for starting a database of
bibliographic information on papers where R was used for the analysis.
Authors might supply the information, or readers of a paper suggest its
addition to the database. Once well populated, this would provide a useful
indication of the range of application areas and journals where R is
finding use.  [Or has someone, somewhere, already started such a
database?]

Finance and biostatistics are obvious areas that I'd omitted.  Other areas
drawn to my attention have been telephony and electronic networks, solid
state etc manufacturing, computer system performance, oceanography and
fisheries research, risk analysis, process engineering and marketing. (I
hope my summaries are acceptably accurate).  I'm not sure what force these
other respondents have given the word "extensive".

Berton Gunter wrote:
> Define "extensive."
>
> I think your answers depend on your definition. I know a bunch of folks
in pharmaceutical preclinical R&D who use R for all sorts of stuff
(analysis and visualization of tox and efficacy animal studies,
dose/response modeling, PK work, IC50 determination, stability data
analysis, etc.). Is "bunch" a majority? I strongly doubt that it's near.
Is it 5%, 10%, 30% ?? Dunno. Excel is still the Big Boy in most of  these
arenas I would bet. But I would also bet that there are at  least 1 or 2
folks in dozens of companies who use R in for these things.

> Is there a subtext to your query? -- i.e. are you trying to make an
argument for something?

> -- Bert

Spencer Graves
          Might it be reasonable to connect this with the recent thread on a
possible "R Wiki"?  (See, e.g., "www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki/doku.php".)
  Am I correct that anyone can add an entry to a Wikipedia?  If yes, we
just need to invite people with manuscripts and publications using R to
post an entry.

          What do you think?
          spencer graves

John Maindonald wrote:

> In this context "extensive" might be use of R in at least maybe 2% or 5%
> of the published analyses in the area, enough to make waves and stir
> awareness.
>
> The immediate subtext is the demand of a book publisher for a list of
> journals to which a new edition of a certain book might be sent for
> review, and for a list of conferences where it might be given exposure.
> For myself, in the medium to longer term, I am more interested in other
> subtexts such as you mention, to which the answer might have relevance.
>
> I've wondered what support there'd be for starting a database of
> bibliographic information on papers where R was used for the analysis.
> Authors might supply the information, or readers of a paper suggest its
> addition to the database. Once well populated, this would provide a useful
> indication of the range of application areas and journals where R is
> finding use.  [Or has someone, somewhere, already started such a
> database?]
>
> Finance and biostatistics are obvious areas that I'd omitted.  Other areas
> drawn to my attention have been telephony and electronic networks, solid
> state etc manufacturing, computer system performance, oceanography and
> fisheries research, risk analysis, process engineering and marketing. (I
> hope my summaries are acceptably accurate).  I'm not sure what force these
> other respondents have given the word "extensive".
> John Maindonald
> Mathematical Sciences Institute
> Australian National University.
> [hidden email]
>

> Berton Gunter wrote:
>
>>Define "extensive."
>>
>>I think your answers depend on your definition. I know a bunch of folks
>
> in pharmaceutical preclinical R&D who use R for all sorts of stuff
> (analysis and visualization of tox and efficacy animal studies,
> dose/response modeling, PK work, IC50 determination, stability data
> analysis, etc.). Is "bunch" a majority? I strongly doubt that it's near.
> Is it 5%, 10%, 30% ?? Dunno. Excel is still the Big Boy in most of  these
> arenas I would bet. But I would also bet that there are at  least 1 or 2
> folks in dozens of companies who use R in for these things.
>
>>Is there a subtext to your query? -- i.e. are you trying to make an
>
> argument for something?
>
>>-- Bert

Fox, John
Dear John,

By this definition, I'm confident that you could add sociology and political
science to your list.

Regards,
 John

--------------------------------
John Fox
Department of Sociology
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario
Canada L8S 4M4
905-525-9140x23604
http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox
--------------------------------

Michael Kubovy
On Jan 23, 2006, at 9:24 PM, John Maindonald wrote:

> In this context "extensive" might be use of R in at least maybe 2%
> or 5%
> of the published analyses in the area, enough to make waves and stir
> awareness.

It's hard to estimate, but the number of researchers in psychology
using R is growing. See, for example, http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/ ,
Jonathan Baron's site, and William Revelle's http://personality-
project.org/r/r.guide.html .

> I've wondered what support there'd be for starting a database of
> bibliographic information on papers where R was used for the analysis.

Good idea.
_____________________________
Professor Michael Kubovy
University of Virginia
Department of Psychology
USPS:     P.O.Box 400400    Charlottesville, VA 22904-4400
Parcels:    Room 102        Gilmer Hall
         McCormick Road    Charlottesville, VA 22903
Office:    B011    +1-434-982-4729
Lab:        B019    +1-434-982-4751
Fax:        +1-434-982-4766
WWW:    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mk9y/

Re: In which application areas is R used?

John:

> In this context "extensive" might be use of R in at least
> maybe 2% or 5%
> of the published analyses in the area, enough to make waves and stir
         ^^^^^^^^^

So publication is the criterion by which you wish to define things?
Personally, I think it's rather narrow -- perhaps even myopic. More to the
point, it excludes a large portion of the industrial (maybe I should say,
non-academic -- though neither term is quite right) user base, who generally
do not publish (a large part of) their work. While I would consider my use
of R  (economically, certainly) important, by your definition it does not
count. So I suspect that your application list would narrow.

> awareness.
>
> The immediate subtext is the demand of a book publisher for a list of
> journals to which a new edition of a certain book might be sent for
> review, and for a list of conferences where it might be given
> exposure.
> For myself, in the medium to longer term, I am more
> interested in other
> subtexts such as you mention, to which the answer might have
> relevance.

Your definition would likely also exclude quite a few industrial
pharmaceutical conferences where R users meet and, **even** occasionally
present (but not publish).

Cheers,
Bert

> I've wondered what support there'd be for starting a database of
> bibliographic information on papers where R was used for the analysis.
> Authors might supply the information, or readers of a paper
> suggest its
> addition to the database. Once well populated, this would
> provide a useful
> indication of the range of application areas and journals where R is
> finding use.  [Or has someone, somewhere, already started such a
> database?]
>
> Finance and biostatistics are obvious areas that I'd omitted.
>  Other areas
> drawn to my attention have been telephony and electronic
> networks, solid
> state etc manufacturing, computer system performance, oceanography and
> fisheries research, risk analysis, process engineering and
> marketing. (I
> hope my summaries are acceptably accurate).  I'm not sure
> what force these
> other respondents have given the word "extensive".
> John Maindonald
> Mathematical Sciences Institute
> Australian National University.
> [hidden email]
>

> Berton Gunter wrote:
> > Define "extensive."
> >
> > I think your answers depend on your definition. I know a
> bunch of folks
> in pharmaceutical preclinical R&D who use R for all sorts of stuff
> (analysis and visualization of tox and efficacy animal studies,
> dose/response modeling, PK work, IC50 determination, stability data
> analysis, etc.). Is "bunch" a majority? I strongly doubt that
> it's near.
> Is it 5%, 10%, 30% ?? Dunno. Excel is still the Big Boy in
> most of  these
> arenas I would bet. But I would also bet that there are at
> least 1 or 2
> folks in dozens of companies who use R in for these things.
> >
> > Is there a subtext to your query? -- i.e. are you trying to make an
> argument for something?
> >
> > -- Bert

Gavin Simpson
On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 13:24 +1100, John Maindonald wrote:
> In this context "extensive" might be use of R in at least maybe 2% or 5%
> of the published analyses in the area, enough to make waves and stir
> awareness.

Given that description, then ecology would more than likely make the
grade.

All the best,

Gav

> The immediate subtext is the demand of a book publisher for a list of
> journals to which a new edition of a certain book might be sent for
> review, and for a list of conferences where it might be given exposure.
> For myself, in the medium to longer term, I am more interested in other
> subtexts such as you mention, to which the answer might have relevance.
>
> I've wondered what support there'd be for starting a database of
> bibliographic information on papers where R was used for the analysis.
> Authors might supply the information, or readers of a paper suggest its
> addition to the database. Once well populated, this would provide a useful
> indication of the range of application areas and journals where R is
> finding use.  [Or has someone, somewhere, already started such a
> database?]
>
> Finance and biostatistics are obvious areas that I'd omitted.  Other areas
> drawn to my attention have been telephony and electronic networks, solid
> state etc manufacturing, computer system performance, oceanography and
> fisheries research, risk analysis, process engineering and marketing. (I
> hope my summaries are acceptably accurate).  I'm not sure what force these
> other respondents have given the word "extensive".
> John Maindonald
> Mathematical Sciences Institute
> Australian National University.
> [hidden email]
>

> Berton Gunter wrote:
> > Define "extensive."
> >
> > I think your answers depend on your definition. I know a bunch of folks
> in pharmaceutical preclinical R&D who use R for all sorts of stuff
> (analysis and visualization of tox and efficacy animal studies,
> dose/response modeling, PK work, IC50 determination, stability data
> analysis, etc.). Is "bunch" a majority? I strongly doubt that it's near.
> Is it 5%, 10%, 30% ?? Dunno. Excel is still the Big Boy in most of  these
> arenas I would bet. But I would also bet that there are at  least 1 or 2
> folks in dozens of companies who use R in for these things.
> >
> > Is there a subtext to your query? -- i.e. are you trying to make an
> argument for something?
> >
> > -- Bert

Gavin Simpson                     [T] +44 (0)20 7679 5522
ENSIS Research Fellow             [F] +44 (0)20 7679 7565
ENSIS Ltd. & ECRC                 [E] gavin.simpsonATNOSPAMucl.ac.uk
UCL Department of Geography       [W] http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucfagls/cv/
26 Bedford Way                    [W] http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucfagls/
London.  WC1H 0AP.