Inference Syntax

Shivi82
Hi All,

This is my first post in the community.
I am currently working on finding some inferences from my sample data and the code I have used is:
inference(y = nc$weight, x = nc$habit, est = "mean", type = "ht", null = 0, method = "theoretical"). While researching more on the code as I have just started using R, online I found alternative also as a keyword for the syntax which has option as either less, greater or two sided. I am unsure what it is referring to.
If someone would please explain the alterative keyword. Thank you.

Re: Inference Syntax

Rolf Turner
On 30/04/15 23:22, Shivi82 wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> This is my first post in the community.
> I am currently working on finding some inferences from my sample data and
> the code I have used is:
> inference(y = nc$weight, x = nc$habit, est = "mean", type = "ht", null = 0,
> method = "theoretical"). While researching more on the code as I have just
> started using R, online I found alternative also as a keyword for the syntax
> which has option as either less, greater or two sided. I am unsure what it
> is referring to.
> If someone would please explain the alterative keyword. Thank you.

The word "alternative" refers to the alternative hypothesis in the test
that you are carrying out.

Where does the function inference() come from?  I can find no trace of
it in a standard R installation, and the term is too broad to search for
effectively.  Please do not expect the R-help list to be telepathic.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Rolf Turner
Technical Editor ANZJS

Re: Inference Syntax

Jim Lemon-4
Hi Shiv82,
This doesn't look like it comes from the SharpeR, iBATGCH, inference
packages and there are too many other packages using the term to
easily identify it. As Rolf pointed out, alternative hypotheses are
typically framed as:

"two-sided" - non-directional, only specifies that the comparison of
statistics shows a difference.

"less" or "greater" - specifies that one particular statistic (usually
that of an experimental group) in the comparison must be less or
greater than the other (usually the reference group).

Jim

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 7:46 AM, Rolf Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30/04/15 23:22, Shivi82 wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> This is my first post in the community.
>> I am currently working on finding some inferences from my sample data and
>> the code I have used is:
>> inference(y = nc$weight, x = nc$habit, est = "mean", type = "ht", null =
>> 0,
>> method = "theoretical"). While researching more on the code as I have just
>> started using R, online I found alternative also as a keyword for the
>> syntax
>> which has option as either less, greater or two sided. I am unsure what it
>> is referring to.
>> If someone would please explain the alterative keyword. Thank you.
>

> The word "alternative" refers to the alternative hypothesis in the test that
> you are carrying out.
>
> Where does the function inference() come from?  I can find no trace of it in
> a standard R installation, and the term is too broad to search for
> effectively.  Please do not expect the R-help list to be telepathic.
>
> cheers,
>
> Rolf Turner
>
> --
> Rolf Turner
> Technical Editor ANZJS
> Department of Statistics
> University of Auckland
> Phone: +64-9-373-7599 ext. 88276
> Home phone: +64-9-480-4619

Re: Inference Syntax

Shivi82
Hi All,
Thanks for extending help on this one. I am able to understand how what it refers to.
I am using R studio as I think it comes as an inbuilt capability.