Installing Perl For Use in R

Philip
I’m getting nowhere with this.  From the website below  I clicked on the ActivePerl 5.26 button which seems to lead me into creating projects on the Cloud rather than downloading the software to my hard drive.

    https://www.activestate.com/products/perl/downloads/

Can someone give me some advise?  What the website is trying to do seems rather shady.

Thanks,
Philip

Re: Installing Perl For Use in R

R help mailing list-2
Hi,

What OS are you on?

It has been years since I used ActiveState, but it looks like you now need to create an account with them prior to downloading the installation files. They seem to give you the option of creating an account with them, or using Github. I would opt for the former, even though I have a Github account.

If you are on Windows, an alternative Perl distribution is Strawberry Perl:

  http://strawberryperl.com

Regards,

Marc Schwartz

> On Oct 6, 2020, at 11:21 AM, Philip <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’m getting nowhere with this.  From the website below  I clicked on the ActivePerl 5.26 button which seems to lead me into creating projects on the Cloud rather than downloading the software to my hard drive.
>
>    https://www.activestate.com/products/perl/downloads/
>
> Can someone give me some advise?  What the website is trying to do seems rather shady.
>
> Thanks,
> Philip

Re: Installing Perl For Use in R

R help mailing list-2
Hi Philip,

"Perl Download"
https://www.perl.org/get.html

The above link gives you the option to install from source or from
ActiveState. The first link below (source) proudly proclaims, "Perl
compiles on over 100 platforms..." and the second link below (binary)
similarly proclaims, "Perl supports over 100 platforms!":

"Perl Source"
https://www.cpan.org/src/README.html

"Perl Ports (Binary Distributions)"
https://www.cpan.org/ports/index.html

HTH, Bill.

W. Michels, Ph.D.

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 8:32 AM Marc Schwartz via R-help