Installing R, R packages

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Installing R, R packages

David Arnold
This post was updated on .
All,

Consider this attempt:
> install.packages("car")
trying URL 'http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu/bin/macosx/contrib/3.0/car_2.0-19.tgz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 1326903 bytes (1.3 Mb)
opened URL
==========================================
downloaded 1.1 Mb

car/data/Rdata.rdb: Truncated tar archive
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.

The downloaded binary packages are in
        /var/folders/qE/qEavkZWTFMmxjncuY+HnqE+++TI/-Tmp-//Rtmpnxi1hV/downloaded_packages
Warning messages:
1: In download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb", ...) :
  downloaded length 1126960 != reported length 1326903
2: 'tar' returned non-zero exit code 1
>

This seems to be happening frequently at the cran berkeley site. I've also had students try to install R from the Berkeley site and it just doesn't work for them.

I had another student tell me today he tried all sorts of mirrors and could not get R and knitr installed until he tried the Washington site.

Is there some sort of corruption going on at the CRAN mirrors?

For example, if I switch mirrors, I get this result:

> install.packages("car")
trying URL 'http://cran.stat.ucla.edu/bin/macosx/contrib/3.0/car_2.0-19.tgz'
Content type 'application/x-tar' length 1326903 bytes (1.3 Mb)
opened URL
==================================================
downloaded 1.3 Mb


The downloaded binary packages are in
        /var/folders/qE/qEavkZWTFMmxjncuY+HnqE+++TI/-Tmp-//Rtmpnxi1hV/downloaded_packages
Warning message:
'.find.package' is deprecated.
Use 'find.package' instead.
See help("Deprecated")


D.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Installing R, R packages

Jeff Newmiller
I have stopped using the Berkeley mirror, and just automatically use UCLA due to missing packages. However, I feel no compulsion to extrapolate and say that there is "some sort of corruption going on at CRAN mirrors" because it is only one data point.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeff Newmiller                        The     .....       .....  Go Live...
DCN:<[hidden email]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing
Research Engineer (Solar/Batteries            O.O#.       #.O#.  with
/Software/Embedded Controllers)               .OO#.       .OO#.  rocks...1k
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent from my phone. Please excuse my brevity.

David Arnold <[hidden email]> wrote:

>All,
>
>Consider this attempt:
>> install.packages("car")
>trying URL
>'http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu/bin/macosx/contrib/3.0/car_2.0-19.tgz'
>Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 1326903 bytes (1.3 Mb)
>opened URL
>==========================================
>downloaded 1.1 Mb
>
>car/data/Rdata.rdb: Truncated tar archive
>tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
>
>The downloaded binary packages are in
>
>/var/folders/qE/qEavkZWTFMmxjncuY+HnqE+++TI/-Tmp-//Rtmpnxi1hV/downloaded_packages
>Warning messages:
>1: In download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb", ...) :
>  downloaded length 1126960 != reported length 1326903
>2: 'tar' returned non-zero exit code 1
>>
>
>This seems to be happening frequently at the cran berkeley site. I've
>also
>had students try to install R from the Berkeley site and it just
>doesn't
>work for them.
>
>I had another student tell me today he tried all sorts of mirrors and
>could
>not get R and knitr installed until he tried the Washington site.
>
>Is there some sort of corruption going on at the CRAN mirrors?
>
>D.
>
>
>
>--
>View this message in context:
>http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/Installing-R-R-packages-tp4676808.html
>Sent from the R help mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
>______________________________________________
>[hidden email] mailing list
>https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
>PLEASE do read the posting guide
>http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
>and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Installing R, R packages

David Winsemius

On Sep 24, 2013, at 12:47 AM, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

> I have stopped using the Berkeley mirror, and just automatically use  
> UCLA due to missing packages. However, I feel no compulsion to  
> extrapolate and say that there is "some sort of corruption going on  
> at CRAN mirrors" because it is only one data point.

I have not been having this sort of difficulty with the Berkeley  
mirror. Never have seen this particular error. Occasionally see the  
mirror down on a weekend, but that happens with all mirrors. (I do use  
Berkeley as my standard mirror and I do download a relatively large  
number of packages especially at the point where I call  
`update.packages`.)


--
David.

> Sent from my phone. Please excuse my brevity.
>
> David Arnold <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Consider this attempt:
>>> install.packages("car")
>> trying URL
>> 'http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu/bin/macosx/contrib/3.0/car_2.0-19.tgz'
>> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 1326903 bytes (1.3 Mb)
>> opened URL
>> ==========================================
>> downloaded 1.1 Mb
>>
>> car/data/Rdata.rdb: Truncated tar archive
>> tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
>>
>> The downloaded binary packages are in
>>
>> /var/folders/qE/qEavkZWTFMmxjncuY+HnqE+++TI/-Tmp-//Rtmpnxi1hV/
>> downloaded_packages
>> Warning messages:
>> 1: In download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb", ...) :
>> downloaded length 1126960 != reported length 1326903
>> 2: 'tar' returned non-zero exit code 1
>>>
>>
>> This seems to be happening frequently at the cran berkeley site. I've
>> also
>> had students try to install R from the Berkeley site and it just
>> doesn't
>> work for them.
>>
>> I had another student tell me today he tried all sorts of mirrors and
>> could
>> not get R and knitr installed until he tried the Washington site.
>>
>> Is there some sort of corruption going on at the CRAN mirrors?
>>
>> D.
>>
>


David Winsemius, MD
Alameda, CA, USA

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Installing R, R packages

szehnder@uni-bonn.de
Had yesterday something pretty similar on the 73 installing benchmark:

Error in untar2(tarfile, files, list, exdir, restore_times) :
  incomplete block on file

The downloaded source packages are in
        ‘/private/var/folders/n9/zxfxcd01557dc06bf3c1njy00000gn/T/RtmpkwQyuQ/downloaded_packages’
Warning messages:
1: In download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb", ...) :
  downloaded length 247786 != reported length 474551
2: In download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb", ...) :
  downloaded length 280942 != reported length 403808
3: In install.packages("benchmark") :
  installation of package ‘relations’ had non-zero exit status
4: In install.packages("benchmark") :
  installation of package ‘benchmark’ had non-zero exit status

Today doing the same worked perfectly.


On Sep 24, 2013, at 6:10 PM, David Winsemius <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Sep 24, 2013, at 12:47 AM, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
>
>> I have stopped using the Berkeley mirror, and just automatically use UCLA due to missing packages. However, I feel no compulsion to extrapolate and say that there is "some sort of corruption going on at CRAN mirrors" because it is only one data point.
>
> I have not been having this sort of difficulty with the Berkeley mirror. Never have seen this particular error. Occasionally see the mirror down on a weekend, but that happens with all mirrors. (I do use Berkeley as my standard mirror and I do download a relatively large number of packages especially at the point where I call `update.packages`.)
>
>
> --
> David.
>
>> Sent from my phone. Please excuse my brevity.
>>
>> David Arnold <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Consider this attempt:
>>>> install.packages("car")
>>> trying URL
>>> 'http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu/bin/macosx/contrib/3.0/car_2.0-19.tgz'
>>> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 1326903 bytes (1.3 Mb)
>>> opened URL
>>> ==========================================
>>> downloaded 1.1 Mb
>>>
>>> car/data/Rdata.rdb: Truncated tar archive
>>> tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
>>>
>>> The downloaded binary packages are in
>>>
>>> /var/folders/qE/qEavkZWTFMmxjncuY+HnqE+++TI/-Tmp-//Rtmpnxi1hV/downloaded_packages
>>> Warning messages:
>>> 1: In download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb", ...) :
>>> downloaded length 1126960 != reported length 1326903
>>> 2: 'tar' returned non-zero exit code 1
>>>>
>>>
>>> This seems to be happening frequently at the cran berkeley site. I've
>>> also
>>> had students try to install R from the Berkeley site and it just
>>> doesn't
>>> work for them.
>>>
>>> I had another student tell me today he tried all sorts of mirrors and
>>> could
>>> not get R and knitr installed until he tried the Washington site.
>>>
>>> Is there some sort of corruption going on at the CRAN mirrors?
>>>
>>> D.
>>>
>>
>
>
> David Winsemius, MD
> Alameda, CA, USA
>
> ______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
> PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
> and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.