Installing dyplr on Linux requires a ton of chasing down dependencies

Installing dyplr on Linux requires a ton of chasing down dependencies

addem
I just got a new Linux computer running Pop!_OS.  If I download R from the
repository, which is basically he same as on Ubuntu, I get an outdated
version that can't run ggplot2.  So I went to the R download page and
downloaded the newest version.  It has make and config files but they
require an intense number of dependencies and I couldn't figure out how to
ever get the X11 dependency resolved.  Some places suggested installing
packages related to xorg, but I didn't find `xorg-x11*` in my package
manager at all.  I tried installing `xorg-*` but this didn't resolve the
problem.

I tried installing Anaconda and doing everything within there.  It delivers
the latest version of R but still to run `install.packages("dplyr",
dependencies=T)` throws a ton of errors about unmet dependencies, one of
which is again X11.  So at this point I'm feeling kind of stuck on this ...

And it just seems wild to me that it's this hard to get R working with
dplyr.  Is there an easier way?

I also tried guessing that maybe `conda install r-dplyr` might do something
but no luck, package not found.  Might have something to do with
environments, I'm not really clear on how those work.

Anyway, for details: My OS is Pop!_OS 19.04, my R version is 3.6.1, RStudio
1.1.456 running by way of Anaconda.  Recently ran an update on every R
package.

Re: Installing dyplr on Linux requires a ton of chasing down dependencies

Jeff Newmiller
https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/

On October 12, 2019 1:46:29 PM PDT, Adam Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I just got a new Linux computer running Pop!_OS.  If I download R from
>the
>repository, which is basically he same as on Ubuntu, I get an outdated
>version that can't run ggplot2.  So I went to the R download page and
>downloaded the newest version.  It has make and config files but they
>require an intense number of dependencies and I couldn't figure out how
>ever get the X11 dependency resolved.  Some places suggested installing
>packages related to xorg, but I didn't find `xorg-x11*` in my package
>manager at all.  I tried installing `xorg-*` but this didn't resolve
>the
>problem.
>
>I tried installing Anaconda and doing everything within there.  It
>delivers
>the latest version of R but still to run `install.packages("dplyr",
>dependencies=T)` throws a ton of errors about unmet dependencies, one
>of
>which is again X11.  So at this point I'm feeling kind of stuck on this
>
>And it just seems wild to me that it's this hard to get R working with
>dplyr.  Is there an easier way?
>
>I also tried guessing that maybe `conda install r-dplyr` might do
>something
>but no luck, package not found.  Might have something to do with
>environments, I'm not really clear on how those work.
>
>Anyway, for details: My OS is Pop!_OS 19.04, my R version is 3.6.1,
>RStudio
>1.1.456 running by way of Anaconda.  Recently ran an update on every R
>package.

Re: Installing dyplr on Linux requires a ton of chasing down dependencies

WU Degang
Sorry to digress here. Having used CRAN and conda to manage R packages, I find that using conda to install R packages will cause more troubles than CRAN. I would stick with CRAN.

________________________________

Re: Installing dyplr on Linux requires a ton of chasing down dependencies

David Winsemius
Generally problems involving Ubuntu are sent to r-sig-Debian but maybe your new OS is not in that heritage. If not, you may get a more informed audience at r-devel. (Technically this is more on-topic there than on rhelp.) But you should read the Posting Guide, subscribe, post in plain text, and include more of the text from the errors.

David

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 13, 2019, at 3:46 AM, Adam Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just got a new Linux computer running Pop!_OS.  If I download R from the
> repository, which is basically he same as on Ubuntu, I get an outdated
> version that can't run ggplot2.  So I went to the R download page and
> downloaded the newest version.  It has make and config files but they
> require an intense number of dependencies and I couldn't figure out how to
> ever get the X11 dependency resolved.  Some places suggested installing
> packages related to xorg, but I didn't find `xorg-x11*` in my package
> manager at all.  I tried installing `xorg-*` but this didn't resolve the
> problem.
>
> I tried installing Anaconda and doing everything within there.  It delivers
> the latest version of R but still to run `install.packages("dplyr",
> dependencies=T)` throws a ton of errors about unmet dependencies, one of
> which is again X11.  So at this point I'm feeling kind of stuck on this ...
>
> And it just seems wild to me that it's this hard to get R working with
> dplyr.  Is there an easier way?
>
> I also tried guessing that maybe `conda install r-dplyr` might do something
> but no luck, package not found.  Might have something to do with
> environments, I'm not really clear on how those work.
>
> Anyway, for details: My OS is Pop!_OS 19.04, my R version is 3.6.1, RStudio
> 1.1.456 running by way of Anaconda.  Recently ran an update on every R
> package.

Re: Installing dyplr on Linux requires a ton of chasing down dependencies

Dirk Eddelbuettel

Adam,

You may find this blog post and the video instructive:

  http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2019/06/09#022_rocker_and_ppas

It illustrates how 'installing tidyverse' (or rstan) can be a single and done
in under two minutes == on Linux, with the appropriate distribution and
settings.  In short:  some have binaries prebuilt, some don't.

My blog has a few post in the 'r4' section on that as well as on other
approaches to this.

  http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/code/r4/

Now, you choose a somewhat non-standard distro. The price of that choice may
indeed be that you have to install everything (R/CRAN-related) from source.

Hope this helps, Dirk

Re: Installing dyplr on Linux requires a ton of chasing down dependencies

Collin Lynch-2
Adam, while I am not familiar with that particular variant of linux,
it sounds like a package manager mismatch in that the ubuntu package
looks for specific libraries which are named differently on your
system.  If you can run a GUI then you have some form of X but the
libraries may be named differently.  It looks like Pop uses apt so you
might try apt-get for R and see if that works or consider compiling
from source.

Collin Lynch.

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 7:36 AM Dirk Eddelbuettel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Adam,
>
> You may find this blog post and the video instructive:
>
>   http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2019/06/09#022_rocker_and_ppas
>
> It illustrates how 'installing tidyverse' (or rstan) can be a single and done
> in under two minutes == on Linux, with the appropriate distribution and
> settings.  In short:  some have binaries prebuilt, some don't.
>
> My blog has a few post in the 'r4' section on that as well as on other
> approaches to this.
>
>   http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/code/r4/
>
> Now, you choose a somewhat non-standard distro. The price of that choice may
> indeed be that you have to install everything (R/CRAN-related) from source.
>
> Hope this helps, Dirk
>
> --
> http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | [hidden email]

ArgLab & Center for Educational Informatics
Department of Computer Science
North Carolina State University

https://research.csc.ncsu.edu/arglab/people/cflynch.html