License question

Uwe Schmitt

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right mailing list for my question,
so please redirect me if this is the wrong place for the
following question:

Am I allowed to include R.dll and Rblas.dll in other software ?

In my case I'm want to run some R commands from a Python script
and save the results. I tried RPy2 which has some trouble running
on Windows.

Regards, Uwe

--

Dr. rer. nat. Uwe Schmitt
Forschung & Entwicklung Mathematik

mineway GmbH
Gebäude 4
Im Helmerswald 2
66121 Saarbrücken

Telefon: +49 (0)681 8390 5334
Telefax: +49 (0)681 830 4376

[hidden email]
www.mineway.de

Geschäftsführung: Dr.-Ing. Mathias Bauer
Amtsgericht Saarbrücken HRB 12339

Re: License question

Kevin Wright-5
With open source software, you can do anything you want on your own
computer.  The difficult questions arise when you want to re-distribute
software.

You have provided very little context for your question, so the standard
answer on this email list is "Talk to your lawyer".

Kevin

Am 16.08.2011 22:23, schrieb Kevin Wright:
> With open source software, you can do anything you want on your own
> computer.  The difficult questions arise when you want to
> re-distribute software.
>
> You have provided very little context for your question, so the
> standard answer on this email list is "Talk to your lawyer".

Hi,

I'm working on a Python based suite for processing mass spectroscopy
data. The software will be open source.
My goal is to glue good solutions together, one of them is the R based
XCMS library.

The question is, if I am allowed to distribute the R.dll and the related
libraries together with my software, or
if it is better to ask the user to install these himself.

Regards,

Uwe

> Kevin
>

> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 7:44 AM, Uwe Schmitt <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     Hi,
>
>     I'm not sure if this is the right mailing list for my question,
>     so please redirect me if this is the wrong place for the
>     following question:
>
>     Am I allowed to include R.dll and Rblas.dll in other software ?
>
>     In my case I'm want to run some R commands from a Python script
>     and save the results. I tried RPy2 which has some trouble running
>     on Windows.
>
>     Regards, Uwe
>

>     --
>
>     Dr. rer. nat. Uwe Schmitt
>     Forschung & Entwicklung Mathematik
>
>     mineway GmbH
>     Gebäude 4
>     Im Helmerswald 2
>     66121 Saarbrücken
>
>     Telefon: +49 (0)681 8390 5334 <tel:%2B49%20%280%29681%208390%205334>
>     Telefax: +49 (0)681 830 4376 <tel:%2B49%20%280%29681%20830%204376>
>
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     www.mineway.de <http://www.mineway.de>
>
>     Geschäftsführung: Dr.-Ing. Mathias Bauer
>     Amtsgericht Saarbrücken HRB 12339

Re: License question

Pierre-Yves Chibon
On Tue, 2011-08-16 at 22:33 +0200, Uwe Schmitt wrote:
> The question is, if I am allowed to distribute the R.dll and the
> related libraries together with my software, or
> if it is better to ask the user to install these himself.

By principle it is better *not* to bundle libraries into the software.
This allows your user to benefits from bug-fixes and improvement which
are done upstream.
A list of reasons to discourage bundle library can be found there:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries

Regards,
Pierre

Re: License question

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 11-08-16 4:33 PM, Uwe Schmitt wrote:

> Am 16.08.2011 22:23, schrieb Kevin Wright:
>> With open source software, you can do anything you want on your own
>> computer.  The difficult questions arise when you want to
>> re-distribute software.
>>
>> You have provided very little context for your question, so the
>> standard answer on this email list is "Talk to your lawyer".
>>
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a Python based suite for processing mass spectroscopy
> data. The software will be open source.
> My goal is to glue good solutions together, one of them is the R based
> XCMS library.
>
> The question is, if I am allowed to distribute the R.dll and the related
> libraries together with my software, or
> if it is better to ask the user to install these himself.

You are allowed to bundle those with your software as long as it is
licenced under version 2 or 3 of the GPL, or under a compatible license.
  You need to be prepared to distribute the R source of whatever version
you distribute, as well as the full source of your own project.

Duncan Murdoch