Locating MiKTeX

Gabor Grothendieck
I came across this program to locate MiKTeX file:

http://docs.miktex.org/2.7/sdk/findfile_8cpp-example.html

If the exe of this were included with R then it seems it might
provide a reliable way to locate MiKTeX which we don't currently have
since AFAIK there is no adequate registry key for MiKTeX.
Since its a tiny program it would not substantially affect the
R download.

(There is also a perl version of the same program there although
it relies on certain perl packages which would also have to be
present complicating things.)

Re: Locating MiKTeX

Spencer Graves
Hi, Gabor, et al.:

      Could you also please ensure 'plflatex wrapper.tex' work with
whatever MikTeX installation you include, for 'wrapper.tex' mentioned in
the "Submissions" instructions for R News?

      This bombed for me when I tried it recently, because I was missing
multiple LaTeX packages:  When I found one, it asked for another that I
couldn't easily find.  So I did a maximal install of the latest version
of MiKTeX.  That involved downloading more that a gigabyte of stuff,
then cleaning space on my hard drive so I could actually install it.
The whole process took several days, in between my other work.  It would
help if it were all part of the standard install.

      Thanks,
      Spencer

Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> I came across this program to locate MiKTeX file:
>
> http://docs.miktex.org/2.7/sdk/findfile_8cpp-example.html
>
> If the exe of this were included with R then it seems it might
> provide a reliable way to locate MiKTeX which we don't currently have
> since AFAIK there is no adequate registry key for MiKTeX.
> Since its a tiny program it would not substantially affect the
> R download.
>
> (There is also a perl version of the same program there although
> it relies on certain perl packages which would also have to be
> present complicating things.)

Re: Locating MiKTeX

Gabor Grothendieck
MiKTeX automatically downloads additional required packages
that your *.tex files use.  Something is wrong with your installation
if it did not try to do that automatically for you.

Although the following should not be necessary, if you do
want to download and install additional MiKTeX packages
yourself without a massive download just invoke the
MiKTeX package manager by entering at the Windows
command line:

mpm

or, if you don't have MiKTeX on your path you can run

rtools.bat
mpm

where rtools.bat, which is from http://batchfiles.googlecode.com ,
will temporarily add MiKTeX to your path so that you can run mpm
and other MiKTeX tools.

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 11:41 AM, Spencer Graves <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, Gabor, et al.:
>     Could you also please ensure 'plflatex wrapper.tex' work with whatever
> MikTeX installation you include, for 'wrapper.tex' mentioned in the
> "Submissions" instructions for R News?
>     This bombed for me when I tried it recently, because I was missing
> multiple LaTeX packages:  When I found one, it asked for another that I
> couldn't easily find.  So I did a maximal install of the latest version of
> MiKTeX.  That involved downloading more that a gigabyte of stuff, then
> cleaning space on my hard drive so I could actually install it.  The whole
> process took several days, in between my other work.  It would help if it
> were all part of the standard install.
>     Thanks,
>     Spencer
> Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>>
>> I came across this program to locate MiKTeX file:
>>
>> http://docs.miktex.org/2.7/sdk/findfile_8cpp-example.html
>>
>> If the exe of this were included with R then it seems it might
>> provide a reliable way to locate MiKTeX which we don't currently have
>> since AFAIK there is no adequate registry key for MiKTeX.
>> Since its a tiny program it would not substantially affect the
>> R download.
>>
>> (There is also a perl version of the same program there although
>> it relies on certain perl packages which would also have to be
>> present complicating things.)

Re: Locating MiKTeX

Spencer Graves
Hi, Gabor:

<in line>

Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> MiKTeX automatically downloads additional required packages
> that your *.tex files use.  Something is wrong with your installation
> if it did not try to do that automatically for you.
>
> Although the following should not be necessary, if you do
> want to download and install additional MiKTeX packages
> yourself without a massive download just invoke the
> MiKTeX package manager by entering at the Windows
> command line:
>
> mpm
>
> or, if you don't have MiKTeX on your path you can run
>
> rtools.bat
> mpm
>
> where rtools.bat, which is from http://batchfiles.googlecode.com ,
> will temporarily add MiKTeX to your path so that you can run mpm
> and other MiKTeX tools.

      Thanks.  What should I have done to obtain the information you
just provided?

      When 'pdflatex wrapper.tex' failed for me, I tried several things,
including consulting my
local Info Tech wizards.  What you suggest sounds reasonable, except
that my attempts to
find information like that failed.

      Thanks again,
      Spencer

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 10:13 PM, Spencer Graves <[hidden email]> wrote:
>     Thanks.  What should I have done to obtain the information you just
> provided?

Google for MiKTeX Manual and look at the R batch utilities and info at:
http://batchfiles.googlecode.com

Re: Locating MiKTeX

MarkBravington
I've recently had a very similar experience to Spencer. The MikTex project page assumes you know what you want; I don't, so it seemed best to download the whole thing. Ouch.

Would it be straightforward for Duncan Murdoch to add some brief instructions on "what bit of MikTex to get" to the excellent "Building R for Windows" page?

Mark

--
Mark Bravington
CSIRO Mathematical & Information Sciences

ph (+61) 3 6232 5118
fax (+61) 3 6232 5012
mob (+61) 438 315 623