Longitudinal categorical response data

Rasanga Ruwanthi
Dear List,

I have some longitudinal data, each patient was followed at times 0, 12, 16, 24 weeks and measure severity of a illness (0-worse, 1-same, 2-better). So, longitudinal response is categorical.  I was wondering whether lmer in R can fit a model for this type of data. If so, how we code? Or any other function in R that can fit this type of longitudinal data? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ruwanthi

Re: Longitudinal categorical response data

Ingmar Visser
package msm has some examples with this type of type, ie modeling disease
state transitions in continuous time, using multi-state markov models.
hth, Ingmar

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Rasanga Ruwanthi <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I have some longitudinal data, each patient was followed at times 0, 12,
> 16, 24 weeks and measure severity of a illness (0-worse, 1-same, 2-better).
> So, longitudinal response is categorical.  I was wondering whether lmer in R
> can fit a model for this type of data. If so, how we code? Or any
> other function in R that can fit this type of longitudinal data? Any
> suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Ruwanthi

Re: Longitudinal categorical response data

Rune Haubo-2
lmer is not designed for ordered categorical data as yours are. You could
take a look at the ordinal package which is designed for this type of data
including mixed models (function clmm) which you probably want to use.

Best,
Rune

Den 24/03/2011 21.03 skrev "Rasanga Ruwanthi" <[hidden email]>:

> Dear List,
>
> I have some longitudinal data, each patient was followed at times 0, 12,
16, 24 weeks and measure severity of a illness (0-worse, 1-same, 2-better).
So, longitudinal response is categorical.  I was wondering whether lmer in R
can fit a model for this type of data. If so, how we code? Or any
other function in R that can fit this type of longitudinal data? Any
suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks
> Ruwanthi

Re: Longitudinal categorical response data

Frank Harrell
Random effects models of the type fitted by ordinal assume something akin to compound symmetry, which is not realistic when time between measurements is long or irregular.
Frank
Rune Haubo-2 wrote
lmer is not designed for ordered categorical data as yours are. You could
take a look at the ordinal package which is designed for this type of data
including mixed models (function clmm) which you probably want to use.

Best,
Rune

Den 24/03/2011 21.03 skrev "Rasanga Ruwanthi" <[hidden email]>:

> Dear List,
>
> I have some longitudinal data, each patient was followed at times 0, 12,
16, 24 weeks and measure severity of a illness (0-worse, 1-same, 2-better).
So, longitudinal response is categorical.  I was wondering whether lmer in R
can fit a model for this type of data. If so, how we code? Or any
other function in R that can fit this type of longitudinal data? Any
suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks
> Ruwanthi

Frank Harrell