Mac OS X 10.4.11 - R2.6.2 - Problem with proxy

Mac OS X 10.4.11 - R2.6.2 - Problem with proxy

Vincent Alcouffe
Hello,

    I have 60 Macintoshs on Mac OS X 10.4.11 for learn "R" to studient
of University and i want to Install New Packages. I click on the button
"access list Mirrors" and it propose me a list of mirrors. None work
correctly. All the mirrors take an error. For exemple for the Lyon
(France) Mirror, it write :
 > trying URL 'http://cran.univ-lyon1.fr/bin/macosx/2.1/PACKAGES'
 > Error in download.file(url = paste(contriburl, "PACKAGES", sep =
"/"),  :
 >    cannot open URL 'http://cran.univ-lyon1.fr/bin/macosx/2.1/PACKAGES'
 > In addition: Warning messages:
 > 1: unable to load shared library
'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/modules/R_X11.so':
 >  dlcompat: dyld: /Applications/R.app/Contents/MacOS/R can't open
library: /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.6.dylib  (No such file or directory, errno
= 2)
 > 2: unable to connect to 'cran.univ-lyon1.fr' on port 80.

I'm of course Administrator on the computer for try to install packages.

We use a proxy inside the University who is configure on the général
préférences on Network of the Macintosh. No problem for come on internet
with help of mathématica for example or others Internet Browser.

I can't imagine install 20 ou 30 packages by hand on all the Macintosh.
And i want the studient learn hows it's easy to use "R". So i hope you
can help me ...

Thanks for all.
Bye
Vincent

Re: Mac OS X 10.4.11 - R2.6.2 - Problem with proxy

Liviu Andronic
Hello Vincent,

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Vincent Alcouffe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>     I have 60 Macintoshs on Mac OS X 10.4.11 for learn "R" to studient
>  of University and i want to Install New Packages. I click on the button
>  "access list Mirrors" and it propose me a list of mirrors. None work
>  correctly. All the mirrors take an error.

Recent versions of R have introduced some bug related to accessing the
Internet through a transparent proxy. It has been discussed recently,
twice, for the Windows and Linux platforms. Please check these threads
[1] [2].

Basically, you would need to install wget, make sure that it can
access the Internet (tweak the config files and make it aware of the
transparent proxy) and use method="wget" when installing packages
within R.

Regards,
Liviu

[1] http://www.nabble.com/internet-proxy-settings-(win)-td15956010.html