Make installed packages available to new R version

Make installed packages available to new R version

jroyrobertson
After installing a new version of R, how do I make the packages that I
have already installed and use on the old version available to the new
version?

Thank you,

Roy Robertson

Re: Make installed packages available to new R version

Vitalie S.
Have a look at this http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general/87014/focus=133050
it is safer to have all you packages reinstalled once you have updated R.

HTH.

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 18:47:33 +0100, Roy Robertson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After installing a new version of R, how do I make the packages that I
> have already installed and use on the old version available to the new
> version?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Roy Robertson

Re: Make installed packages available to new R version

Mike Prager
Roy Robertson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After installing a new version of R, how do I make the packages that I
> have already installed and use on the old version available to the new
> version?

Here is my solution. It has worked over many releases of R,
though it will probably require one initial re-installation of
packages.

Set environment variable R_LIBS to some permanent directory
before installing a version of R. (That is, NOT a directory
under the tree of your current R version.) When you subsequently
install packages, they will go into that location and won't need
re-installation with each new version of R.

It's still necessary to run update.packages() periodically --
such as after installing a new R version -- to keep the
installed packages current.

--
Mike Prager, NOAA, Beaufort, NC

Re: Make installed packages available to new R version

Prof Brian Ripley
You have not told us your OS (despite the posting guide).

For Windows this is covered in the rw-FAQ.  Similar advice would apply on
a Unix-alike.

For Mac OS X, see the recent archives of the R-sig-mac list. E.g. the
strangely titled threads (look in a threaded view) around

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2008-November/005565.html

(probably using the Package Installer).