Mapping

Tom Detzel
Hey Folks,

Apologies in advance if this has been covered.

I'm taking on a simple mapping project. What packages, tutorials and examples would you recommend for a beginning mapper in R?

Thanks, Tom

Re: Mapping

glsnow
What type of mapping?

Do you want to add points to an existing map?  Color in polygons of a
downloaded map?  Create a completely new map? other?

our advice to you depends on what you want to do.

Also please read the posting guide linked to at the bottom of all
emails and don't post in HTML, this is a plain text list.

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Tom Detzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Folks,
>
> Apologies in advance if this has been covered.
>
> I'm taking on a simple mapping project. What packages, tutorials and examples would you recommend for a beginning mapper in R?
>
> Thanks, Tom

Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.

Re: Mapping

Roger Bivand
Tom Detzel <Tom.Detzel <at> propublica.org> writes:

> Hey Folks,
>
> Apologies in advance if this has been covered.
>
> I'm taking on a simple mapping project. What packages, tutorials and
> examples would you recommend for a
> beginning mapper in R?

The general advice is to look for CRAN Task Views, and in your case the
Spatial one is probably the most helpful, as it gives a dense overview to
start from. Also look at the R-bloggers aggregation service, for example
blogs by Oscar Perpigñán or James Cheshire, and others. The examples will
vary a lot depending on your application area.

Roger

> Thanks, Tom

Roger Bivand
Department of Economics
NHH Norwegian School of Economics
Helleveien 30
N-5045 Bergen, Norway

Re: Mapping

David Winsemius

On Jun 6, 2014, at 3:15 AM, Roger Bivand wrote:

> Tom Detzel <Tom.Detzel <at> propublica.org> writes:
>

>> Hey Folks,
>>
>> Apologies in advance if this has been covered.
>>
>> I'm taking on a simple mapping project. What packages, tutorials and
>> examples would you recommend for a
>> beginning mapper in R?
>
> The general advice is to look for CRAN Task Views, and in your case the
> Spatial one is probably the most helpful, as it gives a dense overview to
> start from. Also look at the R-bloggers aggregation service, for example
> blogs by Oscar Perpigñán or James Cheshire, and others. The examples will
> vary a lot depending on your application area.
>
> Roger

Roger is perhaps being too modest. I think many people would say that the first resource to acquire would be "Applied Spatial Data Analysis with R", for which Bivand is the first author. The first half of the book lays out the data structures in the 'sp' package which forms the core of most other spatial/mapping packages and presents the technical background that will be needed.

--

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA