Matrix install fails because of defunct save in require

Matrix install fails because of defunct save in require

Thomas Petzoldt
Dear R-Devel,

I've just tried to compile the fresh R-devel and found that the install
of package Matrix failed:

** help
*** installing help indices
** building package indices ...
Error in require(Matrix, save = FALSE) :
   unused argument(s) (save = FALSE)
ERROR: installing package indices failed

possible reason: Matrix/data/*.R

News.Rd says:

The \code{save} argument of \code{require()} is defunct.

Thomas Petzoldt

Re: Matrix install fails because of defunct save in require

Uwe Ligges-3

On 17.09.2010 16:04, Thomas Petzoldt wrote:

> Dear R-Devel,
>
> I've just tried to compile the fresh R-devel and found that the install
> of package Matrix failed:

> ** help
> *** installing help indices
> ** building package indices ...
> Error in require(Matrix, save = FALSE) :
> unused argument(s) (save = FALSE)
> ERROR: installing package indices failed

Have you got the Matrix package from the appropriate 2.12/recommended
repository or installed via

make rsync-recommended
make recommended

In that case it works for me.

Uwe

> possible reason: Matrix/data/*.R
>
> News.Rd says:
>
> The \code{save} argument of \code{require()} is defunct.
>

> Thomas Petzoldt

Re: Matrix install fails because of defunct save in require

Berwin A Turlach
G'day Uwe,

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 19:22:04 +0200
Uwe Ligges <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17.09.2010 16:04, Thomas Petzoldt wrote:
> > Dear R-Devel,
> >
> > I've just tried to compile the fresh R-devel and found that the
> > install of package Matrix failed:

> > ** help
> > *** installing help indices
> > ** building package indices ...
> > Error in require(Matrix, save = FALSE) :
> > unused argument(s) (save = FALSE)
> > ERROR: installing package indices failed
>

> Have you got the Matrix package from the appropriate 2.12/recommended
> repository or installed via
>
> make rsync-recommended
> make recommended

Are those the commands that should now be used?  My script is
essentially doing:

        svn up
        tools/rsync-recommended
        make
        make check FORCE=FORCE

Running the script now, I experience the same problem as Thomas.  But I
note that Thomas did not state exactly what he is compiling.  My 'svn
up' updates the version checked out from:
        https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk
which I think of as R-devel.
Now after the svn up the file VERSION in the source directory says:
        2.13.0 Under development (unstable)
The SVN-REVISION file in my build directory says:
        Revision: 52938
        Last Changed Date: 2010-09-17
And I have Matrix_0.999375-44.tar.gz in src/library/Recommended of my
source directory.

As you refer to 2.12/recommended, you and Thomas might talk about
different versions when talking about R-devel.

Cheers,

        Berwin

On 17.09.2010 19:54, Berwin A Turlach wrote:

> G'day Uwe,
>
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 19:22:04 +0200
> Uwe Ligges<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>

>> On 17.09.2010 16:04, Thomas Petzoldt wrote:
>>> Dear R-Devel,
>>>
>>> I've just tried to compile the fresh R-devel and found that the
>>> install of package Matrix failed:

>>> ** help
>>> *** installing help indices
>>> ** building package indices ...
>>> Error in require(Matrix, save = FALSE) :
>>> unused argument(s) (save = FALSE)
>>> ERROR: installing package indices failed
>>

>> Have you got the Matrix package from the appropriate 2.12/recommended
>> repository or installed via
>>
>> make rsync-recommended
>> make recommended
>
> Are those the commands that should now be used?  My script is
> essentially doing:
>
> svn up
> tools/rsync-recommended
> make
> make check FORCE=FORCE
>
> Running the script now, I experience the same problem as Thomas.  But I
> note that Thomas did not state exactly what he is compiling.  My 'svn
> up' updates the version checked out from:
> https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk
> which I think of as R-devel.
> Now after the svn up the file VERSION in the source directory says:
> 2.13.0 Under development (unstable)
> The SVN-REVISION file in my build directory says:
> Revision: 52938
> Last Changed Date: 2010-09-17
> And I have Matrix_0.999375-44.tar.gz in src/library/Recommended of my
> source directory.
>
> As you refer to 2.12/recommended, you and Thomas might talk about
> different versions when talking about R-devel.

Indeed, I referred to R-prerelease (alpha / to be R-2.12.0 in October)
rather than R-devel (perhaps to be R-2.13.0 next April or so).

Uwe

On 17.09.2010 19:22, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> On 17.09.2010 16:04, Thomas Petzoldt wrote:
>> Dear R-Devel,
>>
>> I've just tried to compile the fresh R-devel and found that the install
>> of package Matrix failed:

>> ** help
>> *** installing help indices
>> ** building package indices ...
>> Error in require(Matrix, save = FALSE) :
>> unused argument(s) (save = FALSE)
>> ERROR: installing package indices failed
>

> Have you got the Matrix package from the appropriate 2.12/recommended
> repository or installed via
>
> make rsync-recommended
> make recommended
>

> In that case it works for me.
>
> Uwe

Yes, I did it this way, but did you use svn version before 52932 or a
version equal or newer than 52940?

The svn log shows that in the meantime Brian Ripley added a workaround:

Revision: 52940
Author: ripley
Date: 19:31:48, Freitag, 17. September 2010
Message:
keep dummy require(save=FALSE) for now
----
Modified : /trunk/doc/NEWS.Rd
Modified : /trunk/src/library/base/R/library.R
Modified : /trunk/src/library/base/man/library.Rd

Is solved for now.

Thanks, Thomas P.

Re: Matrix install fails because of defunct save in require

Prof Brian Ripley
I'm not sure why end users would be using R-devel rather than R-alpha
at this point, but I have already changed R-devel to allow Matrix to
get updated before it fails.

Warning: R-devel tends to be particularly unstable during the period
when we are in alpha/beta/RC phases.

On 17.09.2010 20:04, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> I'm not sure why end users would be using R-devel rather than R-alpha at
> this point, but I have already changed R-devel to allow Matrix to get
> updated before it fails.

Yes I realized the update and successfully recompiled it. Many thanks.

"End users" or package developers want to keep own packages compatible
with future versions, so maintaining svn syncs is much more efficient
than downloading snapshoots. In the current case it would have been much
easier for me, of course, to go back to an older svn release (as I
sometimes do). However, I felt to be responsible for reporting issues as
contribution to the open source development process.

O.K., I'll wait a little bit longer in the future and many thanks for
developing this great software.

ThPe

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010, Thomas Petzoldt wrote:

> On 17.09.2010 20:04, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> I'm not sure why end users would be using R-devel rather than R-alpha at
>> this point, but I have already changed R-devel to allow Matrix to get
>> updated before it fails.
>
> Yes I realized the update and successfully recompiled it. Many thanks.
>
> "End users" or package developers want to keep own packages compatible with
> future versions, so maintaining svn syncs is much more efficient than
> downloading snapshoots. In the current case it would have been much easier

But many of us svn sync e.g. R-2-12-branch rather than use snapshots.

> for me, of course, to go back to an older svn release (as I sometimes do).
> However, I felt to be responsible for reporting issues as contribution to the
> open source development process.
>
> O.K., I'll wait a little bit longer in the future and many thanks for
> developing this great software.

I think the advice in the Windows binary download page

'This is a development version of R. It likely contains bugs, so be
careful if you use it. Please don't report bugs in this version
through the usual R bug reporting system, please report them on the
r-devel mailing list---but only if they persist for a few days.'

is spot-on. It takes at least several hours, maybe a couple of days,
for the package checks to reveal problems with changes in R-devel,
especially platform-specific ones.