Missing libpthread in RTools

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Missing libpthread in RTools

Davor Cubranic
It appears that Mingw gcc included in RTools is missing a dependent
library. If I compile a program with '-lgomp' switch (for OpenMP
support), I get a errors about undefined references to functions like
'_imp__pthread_mutex_destroy'. Adding the '-static' switch, I get the
following error:

    c:/rtools/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe:
cannot find -lpthread

Sure enough, there is neither libpthread.a nor libpthread.dll under
RTools' installation directory. I think these library are standard in
Cygwin. Is there any chance to include them in RTools, too?

Davor

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Missing libpthread in RTools

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 15/10/2010 4:53 PM, Davor Cubranic wrote:

> It appears that Mingw gcc included in RTools is missing a dependent
> library. If I compile a program with '-lgomp' switch (for OpenMP
> support), I get a errors about undefined references to functions like
> '_imp__pthread_mutex_destroy'. Adding the '-static' switch, I get the
> following error:
>
>      c:/rtools/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe:
> cannot find -lpthread
>
> Sure enough, there is neither libpthread.a nor libpthread.dll under
> RTools' installation directory. I think these library are standard in
> Cygwin. Is there any chance to include them in RTools, too?

Rtools is for building R, and that library isn't needed in R.  If you
want it for some particular purpose, can't you just install a copy on
your machine?

Duncan Murdoch

>
> Davor
>
> ______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Missing libpthread in RTools

Davor Cubranic
On 2010-10-15, at 4:39 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 15/10/2010 4:53 PM, Davor Cubranic wrote:
>> It appears that Mingw gcc included in RTools is missing a dependent
>> library. If I compile a program with '-lgomp' switch (for OpenMP
>> support), I get a errors about undefined references to functions like
>> '_imp__pthread_mutex_destroy'. Adding the '-static' switch, I get the
>> following error:
>>
>>     c:/rtools/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe:
>> cannot find -lpthread
>>
>> Sure enough, there is neither libpthread.a nor libpthread.dll under
>> RTools' installation directory. I think these library are standard in
>> Cygwin. Is there any chance to include them in RTools, too?
>
> Rtools is for building R, and that library isn't needed in R.  If you want it for some particular purpose, can't you just install a copy on your machine?

Yes, I can. But does it make sense for the compiler to have support for OpenMP (i.e., allow -fopenmp), but not include its library dependency so that it fails in the linking phase?

Davor
______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Missing libpthread in RTools

Prof Brian Ripley
On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Davor Cubranic wrote:

> On 2010-10-15, at 4:39 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>
>> On 15/10/2010 4:53 PM, Davor Cubranic wrote:
>>> It appears that Mingw gcc included in RTools is missing a dependent
>>> library. If I compile a program with '-lgomp' switch (for OpenMP
>>> support), I get a errors about undefined references to functions like
>>> '_imp__pthread_mutex_destroy'. Adding the '-static' switch, I get the
>>> following error:
>>>
>>>     c:/rtools/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe:
>>> cannot find -lpthread
>>>
>>> Sure enough, there is neither libpthread.a nor libpthread.dll under
>>> RTools' installation directory. I think these library are standard in
>>> Cygwin. Is there any chance to include them in RTools, too?
>>
>> Rtools is for building R, and that library isn't needed in R.  If you want it for some particular purpose, can't you just install a copy on your machine?
>
> Yes, I can. But does it make sense for the compiler to have support
> for OpenMP (i.e., allow -fopenmp), but not include its library
> dependency so that it fails in the linking phase?

For the MinGW project, yes.  The 'Min' stands for 'minimal'.

Note that there are a lot of issues with gcc using pthreads for OMP on
Windows, and the gcc developers are working on a different solution.

>
> Davor
> ______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
>

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  [hidden email]
Professor of Applied Statistics,  http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~ripley/
University of Oxford,             Tel:  +44 1865 272861 (self)
1 South Parks Road,                     +44 1865 272866 (PA)
Oxford OX1 3TG, UK                Fax:  +44 1865 272595

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel