New Work Based on R

Ogbos
Dear Contributors,
Some of us that use the end product of R could pay for your services
if asked to do so. While all your help is free, I am a little
disturbed that there is no archive or repository where publications
employing R tools are deposited for those interested in  the
usefulness of R.

I have, with your great assistance, produced 4 papers this year and
more are under way. While I have never failed to cite R in the papers,
I feel like always saying additional thank you for your invaluable but
free time.

Many, many, many thanks to all of you.

Okike_2019_ApJ_882_15-1.pdf (1M) Download Attachment

Re: New Work Based on R

David Winsemius

On 8/28/19 6:13 AM, Ogbos Okike wrote:
> Dear Contributors,
> Some of us that use the end product of R could pay for your services
> if asked to do so. While all your help is free, I am a little
> disturbed that there is no archive or repository where publications
> employing R tools are deposited for those interested in  the
> usefulness of R.

CRAN would qualify as an "archive or repository where publications

employing R tools are deposited for those interested in  the
usefulness of R."  There are also efforts to provide

There is a focused search site called Rseek and there is a suite of CRAN
Task Views.

--

David.

> I have, with your great assistance, produced 4 papers this year and
> more are under way. While I have never failed to cite R in the papers,
> I feel like always saying additional thank you for your invaluable but
> free time.
>
> Many, many, many thanks to all of you.

Re: New Work Based on R

Rainer Krug-3

> On 29 Aug 2019, at 03:32, David Winsemius <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 8/28/19 6:13 AM, Ogbos Okike wrote:
>> Dear Contributors,
>> Some of us that use the end product of R could pay for your services
>> if asked to do so. While all your help is free, I am a little
>> disturbed that there is no archive or repository where publications
>> employing R tools are deposited for those interested in  the
>> usefulness of R.
>
> CRAN would qualify as an "archive or repository where publications

I think you are misunderstanding the OP. Ogbos is, as I understand, looking for a repository for publications using R (as in scientific publications) and not that much.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am not aware that CRAN hosts a bibliography of publications using R (which would be an interesting thing to have…).

Cheers,

Rainer

> employing R tools are deposited for those interested in  the
> usefulness of R."  There are also efforts to provide
>
> There is a focused search site called Rseek and there is a suite of CRAN Task Views.
>

> --
>
> David.
>

>> I have, with your great assistance, produced 4 papers this year and
>> more are under way. While I have never failed to cite R in the papers,
>> I feel like always saying additional thank you for your invaluable but
>> free time.
>>
>> Many, many, many thanks to all of you.

Department of Evolutionary Biology and Environmental Studies
University of Zürich

Re: New Work Based on R

Rich Shepard
On Thu, 29 Aug 2019, Rainer M Krug wrote:

> I think you are misunderstanding the OP. Ogbos is, as I understand,
> looking for a repository for publications using R (as in scientific
> publications) and not that much.

Rainer, et al.:

I agree with your interpretation of the request and suggest that the request
is most likely unreasonable. How many publications explicitly name the
software used to produce anaytical results or plots (or the document
itself)?

I've been out of academia for a very long time yet read many articles and
techical reports in my work as an environmental consultant. I don't recall
seeing software mentioned in any of them. The focus of the author(s) is on
the subject of the document and not the tools used to create it. Unless, of
course, the document is about statistics or data analyses.

Regards,

Rich

Re: New Work Based on R

Eric Berger
Rich writes: " I've been out of academia for a very long time ... "
He may not be aware that currently authors are encouraged to support
reproducible research, which includes making available (where possible)
both the data and the software programs that were used in the analysis.
I think the OP's suggestion leads to a number of interesting use cases.
There are certainly cases where research is copyrighted with the publishing
journal so full access for all articles would not be possible. Food for
thought.

Eric

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 3:48 PM Rich Shepard <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Aug 2019, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>
> > I think you are misunderstanding the OP. Ogbos is, as I understand,
> > looking for a repository for publications using R (as in scientific
> > publications) and not that much.
>
> Rainer, et al.:
>
> I agree with your interpretation of the request and suggest that the
> request
> is most likely unreasonable. How many publications explicitly name the
> software used to produce anaytical results or plots (or the document
> itself)?
>
> I've been out of academia for a very long time yet read many articles and
> techical reports in my work as an environmental consultant. I don't recall
> seeing software mentioned in any of them. The focus of the author(s) is on
> the subject of the document and not the tools used to create it. Unless, of
> course, the document is about statistics or data analyses.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rich

Re: New Work Based on R

Patrick (Malone Quantitative)
Perhaps rather than re-inventing the wheel, some current open science
repository(ies) would work, just with an encouragement to use subject
tagging to indicate the software.

Pat

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 9:38 AM Eric Berger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rich writes: " I've been out of academia for a very long time ... "
> He may not be aware that currently authors are encouraged to support
> reproducible research, which includes making available (where possible)
> both the data and the software programs that were used in the analysis.
> I think the OP's suggestion leads to a number of interesting use cases.
> There are certainly cases where research is copyrighted with the publishing
> journal so full access for all articles would not be possible. Food for
> thought.
>
> Eric
>

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 3:48 PM Rich Shepard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 29 Aug 2019, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> >
> > > I think you are misunderstanding the OP. Ogbos is, as I understand,
> > > looking for a repository for publications using R (as in scientific
> > > publications) and not that much.
> >
> > Rainer, et al.:
> >
> > I agree with your interpretation of the request and suggest that the
> > request
> > is most likely unreasonable. How many publications explicitly name the
> > software used to produce anaytical results or plots (or the document
> > itself)?
> >
> > I've been out of academia for a very long time yet read many articles and
> > techical reports in my work as an environmental consultant. I don't recall
> > seeing software mentioned in any of them. The focus of the author(s) is on
> > the subject of the document and not the tools used to create it. Unless, of
> > course, the document is about statistics or data analyses.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Rich

Re: New Work Based on R

Rich Shepard
On Thu, 29 Aug 2019, Eric Berger wrote:

> He may not be aware that currently authors are encouraged to support
> reproducible research, which includes making available (where possible)
> both the data and the software programs that were used in the analysis.

Eric,

You're correct: I did not know this. I retract my comment as it's
inappropriate.

Mea culpa,

Rich

Re: New Work Based on R

Sarah Goslee
Hi R folks,

After following this thread, I got curious, and tried to do a Web of
Science search to see how many citations of R there are. It's a
*mess*. Even limiting it to "R Core Team" as first author, there are
so many variations in citation that WoS eventually gave up and told me
that I couldn't add any more.

Google Scholar gives  "Cited by 134011 - All 118 versions."

I think trying to create a repository might also be a mess!

But it's clear from this attempt that it's harder than it should be to
consistently and clearly cite R, even with the handy citation()
function, or there wouldn't be such a mess in WoS.

Perhaps it's time to create a DOI for R itself, to help standardize
the mess. (If there is a DOI, it doesn't show up in citation().)
Versioning would be a slight pain, but according to Zenodo at least,
they maintain a DOI for each version, and a master DOI.

Also, of course, make sure your students and colleagues cite R and the
R packages they use! The authors should be properly credited, and it
makes it possible for interested people to see where and how the
software is used.

And if you want to support R financially, there are worse things to do
than donate to the R Foundation. https://www.r-project.org/foundation/

Sarah

---
Sarah Goslee