New York Times Article: Data Analysts Captivated by R's Power

New York Times Article: Data Analysts Captivated by R's Power

Arthur Burke
Readers of this list might be interested in the following article in the
New York Times and might find amusing the notion that "Some people
familiar with R describe it as a supercharged version of Microsoft's
Excel spreadsheet software...".

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/technology/business-computing/07progra
m.html?_r=1&ref=technology

Art

Art Burke
Northwest Regional Educational Laboratory
101 SW Main St, Suite 500
Portland, OR 97204-3213

Phone:  503-275-9592 / 800-547-6339

Fax: 503-275-0450

Re: New York Times Article: Data Analysts Captivated by R's Power

Tom Backer Johnsen
Sure, that statement is in it self somewhat amusing.  But the article
itself is very good PR.  I am sending off copies of the link to many of
my colleagues, some sceptic, others not sceptic at all.  Thanks!

Tom

Arthur Burke wrote:

> Readers of this list might be interested in the following article in the
> New York Times and might find amusing the notion that "Some people
> familiar with R describe it as a supercharged version of Microsoft's
> Excel spreadsheet software...".
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/technology/business-computing/07progra
> m.html?_r=1&ref=technology
>
> Art
>
> Art Burke
> Northwest Regional Educational Laboratory
> 101 SW Main St, Suite 500
> Portland, OR 97204-3213
>
> Phone:  503-275-9592 / 800-547-6339
>
> Fax: 503-275-0450

Re: New York Times Article: Data Analysts Captivated by R's Power

Simon Blomberg-4
> "Some people familiar with R describe it as a supercharged version of
>  Microsoft's Excel spreadsheet software..."

Maybe it's my dry Australian humour, but I think this should go into the
fortunes package.

Simon.
--
Simon Blomberg, BSc (Hons), PhD, MAppStat.
Lecturer and Consultant Statistician

Policies:
1.  I will NOT analyse your data for you.
2.  Your deadline is your problem.

The combination of some data and an aching desire for
an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can
be extracted from a given body of data. - John Tukey.

Re: New York Times Article: Data Analysts Captivated by R's Power

Bill.Venables
But wait, there's more...  The bit I think deserves a fortunes listing is the SAS jibe:

"I think it addresses a niche market for high-end data analysts that want free, readily available code," said Anne H. Milley, director of technology product marketing at SAS. She adds, "We have customers who build engines for aircraft. I am happy they are not using freeware when I get on a jet."

I love it.

Bill Venables
http://www.cmis.csiro.au/bill.venables/

> "Some people familiar with R describe it as a supercharged version of
>  Microsoft's Excel spreadsheet software..."

Maybe it's my dry Australian humour, but I think this should go into the
fortunes package.

Simon.
--
Simon Blomberg, BSc (Hons), PhD, MAppStat.
Lecturer and Consultant Statistician
Faculty of Biological and Chemical Sciences
The University of Queensland
St. Lucia Queensland 4072
Australia
Room 320 Goddard Building (8)
T: +61 7 3365 2506
http://www.uq.edu.au/~uqsblomb
email: S.Blomberg1_at_uq.edu.au

Policies:
1.  I will NOT analyse your data for you.
2.  Your deadline is your problem.

The combination of some data and an aching desire for
an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can
be extracted from a given body of data. - John Tukey.

Re: New York Times Article: Data Analysts Captivated by R's Power

Achim Zeileis
On Thu, 8 Jan 2009, [hidden email] wrote:

> But wait, there's more...  The bit I think deserves a fortunes listing
> is the SAS jibe:

Yep, both added to the devel-version on R-Forge (fortunes 222 and 223).
Additionally, there is

R> fortune(224)

It's interesting that SAS Institute feels that non-peer-reviewed software
with hidden implementations of analytic methods that cannot be reproduced
by others should be trusted when building aircraft engines.
    -- Frank Harrell (in response to the statement of the SAS director of
       technology product marketing: "We have customers who build engines
       for aircraft. I am happy they are not using freeware when I get on a
       jet.")
       R-help (January 2009)

grx,

Re: New York Times Article: Data Analysts Captivated by R's Power

Kingsford Jones
On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Simon Blomberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> "Some people familiar with R describe it as a supercharged version of
>>  Microsoft's Excel spreadsheet software..."
>
> Maybe it's my dry Australian humour, but I think this should go into the
> fortunes package.

The irony of that quote is great, but I'd guess it's also an effective
bit of advertising. Akin to Gary Larson's famous "what dogs hear"
cartoon (link below), I can envision many managers reading the article
and seeing something like:

"blah blah blah blah supercharged version of Microsoft's Excel
spreadsheet software that can help illuminate data trends more clearly
blah blah blah blah ...."

;-)

Kingsford Jones

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sluggerotoole/153603564/

> Simon.
> --
> Simon Blomberg, BSc (Hons), PhD, MAppStat.
> Lecturer and Consultant Statistician
> Faculty of Biological and Chemical Sciences
> The University of Queensland
> St. Lucia Queensland 4072
> Australia
> Room 320 Goddard Building (8)
> T: +61 7 3365 2506
> http://www.uq.edu.au/~uqsblomb
> email: S.Blomberg1_at_uq.edu.au
>
> Policies:
> 1.  I will NOT analyse your data for you.
> 2.  Your deadline is your problem.
>
> The combination of some data and an aching desire for
> an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can
> be extracted from a given body of data. - John Tukey.

Re: New York Times Article: Data Analysts Captivated by R's Power

Patrick Burns
Simon Blomberg wrote:
>> "Some people familiar with R describe it as a supercharged version of
>>  Microsoft's Excel spreadsheet software..."
>>

> Maybe it's my dry Australian humour, but I think this should go into the
> fortunes package.

It is somewhat humourous even in damper London.
But I think what the sentence was trying to say is that
a WHOLE LOT of what is done in Excel would be
better done in R.

Patrick Burns
[hidden email]
+44 (0)20 8525 0696