New installation

jax200-2
Hi

I'm starting off with both R and Linux Mint.  During a recent R course, I
had multiple difficulties with installing updates needed for the course.

As such, I'd like to hit the restart button with fresh installs of Linux
and R.  I would appreciate your help with which Linux platform works best
with R, and how to go about getting all the updates installed for both
programs.

Many thanks,  Jack

Re: New installation

Bert Gunter-2
I suggest that you post to the r-sig-debian list instead of here. I
think you are more likely to get good answers to your query there.

Cheers,
Bert

and sticking things into it."

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 1:44 PM, jax200 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm starting off with both R and Linux Mint.  During a recent R course, I
> had multiple difficulties with installing updates needed for the course.
>
> As such, I'd like to hit the restart button with fresh installs of Linux
> and R.  I would appreciate your help with which Linux platform works best
> with R, and how to go about getting all the updates installed for both
> programs.
>
> Many thanks,  Jack

Re: New installation

Ista Zahn
Perhaps r-sig-debian is more appropriate, though it is not clear to me that
a debian based linux is in fact the best for running R. Of course "best" is
not clearly defined here, but I highly recommend Archlinux.

Best,
Ista
On Jun 9, 2016 6:47 PM, "Bert Gunter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I suggest that you post to the r-sig-debian list instead of here. I
> think you are more likely to get good answers to your query there.
>
> Cheers,
> Bert
> Bert Gunter

> and sticking things into it."
>

> On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 1:44 PM, jax200 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm starting off with both R and Linux Mint.  During a recent R course, I
> > had multiple difficulties with installing updates needed for the course.
> >
> > As such, I'd like to hit the restart button with fresh installs of Linux
> > and R.  I would appreciate your help with which Linux platform works best
> > with R, and how to go about getting all the updates installed for both
> > programs.
> >
> > Many thanks,  Jack

Re: New installation

Leonardo Ferreira Fontenelle
I have tried many Linux distributions before, and never looked back
after switching for Arch Linux. It is one of the best distributions with
regard to having an up to date but still reasonably stable system. Other
options are Fedora  Rawhide (there's a Fedora SIG mailing list) or
Debian Sid (as others mentioned, there's a Debian SIG mailing list), but
I don't know how dependable those versions are.

Leonardo Ferreira Fontenelle
Former GNOME translator

Em Qui 9 jun. 2016, às 20:08, Ista Zahn escreveu:

> Perhaps r-sig-debian is more appropriate, though it is not clear to me
> that
> a debian based linux is in fact the best for running R. Of course "best"
> is
> not clearly defined here, but I highly recommend Archlinux.
>
> Best,
> Ista
> On Jun 9, 2016 6:47 PM, "Bert Gunter" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I suggest that you post to the r-sig-debian list instead of here. I
> > think you are more likely to get good answers to your query there.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Bert
> > Bert Gunter
> >
> > "The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along
> > and sticking things into it."
> > -- Opus (aka Berkeley Breathed in his "Bloom County" comic strip )
> >

> > On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 1:44 PM, jax200 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I'm starting off with both R and Linux Mint.  During a recent R course, I
> > > had multiple difficulties with installing updates needed for the course.
> > >
> > > As such, I'd like to hit the restart button with fresh installs of Linux
> > > and R.  I would appreciate your help with which Linux platform works best
> > > with R, and how to go about getting all the updates installed for both
> > > programs.
> > >
> > > Many thanks,  Jack
> > >
> > >         [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: New installation

Clint Bowman
I "experiment" with the Fedora distribution at home but am very satisfied
with the Scientific Linux distribution here at work--I'm currently using
SL7.2.

Clint Bowman INTERNET: [hidden email]
Air Quality Modeler INTERNET: [hidden email]
Department of Ecology VOICE: (360) 407-6815
PO Box 47600 FAX: (360) 407-7534
Olympia, WA 98504-7600

         USPS:           PO Box 47600, Olympia, WA 98504-7600
         Parcels:        300 Desmond Drive, Lacey, WA 98503-1274

On Thu, 9 Jun 2016, Leonardo Ferreira Fontenelle wrote:

> I have tried many Linux distributions before, and never looked back
> after switching for Arch Linux. It is one of the best distributions with
> regard to having an up to date but still reasonably stable system. Other
> options are Fedora  Rawhide (there's a Fedora SIG mailing list) or
> Debian Sid (as others mentioned, there's a Debian SIG mailing list), but
> I don't know how dependable those versions are.
>
> Leonardo Ferreira Fontenelle
> Former GNOME translator
>
> Em Qui 9 jun. 2016, às 20:08, Ista Zahn escreveu:
>> Perhaps r-sig-debian is more appropriate, though it is not clear to me
>> that
>> a debian based linux is in fact the best for running R. Of course "best"
>> is
>> not clearly defined here, but I highly recommend Archlinux.
>>
>> Best,
>> Ista
>> On Jun 9, 2016 6:47 PM, "Bert Gunter" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > I suggest that you post to the r-sig-debian list instead of here. I
>> > think you are more likely to get good answers to your query there.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Bert
>> > Bert Gunter
>> >
>> > "The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along
>> > and sticking things into it."
>> > -- Opus (aka Berkeley Breathed in his "Bloom County" comic strip )

>> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: New installation

Rainer Krug-3
Clint Bowman <[hidden email]> writes:

I am really wondering, why nobody mentioned Ubuntu so far?

Ubuntu is a really nice distro, I never had problems with it, many
programs are available for Ubuntu, and it is build on Debian
(stable). Don't worry about Unity Window manager - there are many other
options available (Xubuntu being one of the better known ones - Ubuntu
just packed with a different Windows Manager).

If you are new to Linux, I would really suggest Ubuntu.

Cheers,

Rainer

> I "experiment" with the Fedora distribution at home but am very
> satisfied with the Scientific Linux distribution here at work--I'm
> currently using SL7.2.
>
> Clint Bowman INTERNET: [hidden email]
> Air Quality Modeler INTERNET: [hidden email]
> Department of Ecology VOICE: (360) 407-6815
> PO Box 47600 FAX: (360) 407-7534
> Olympia, WA 98504-7600
>
>         USPS:           PO Box 47600, Olympia, WA 98504-7600
>         Parcels:        300 Desmond Drive, Lacey, WA 98503-1274
>
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2016, Leonardo Ferreira Fontenelle wrote:
>
>> I have tried many Linux distributions before, and never looked back
>> after switching for Arch Linux. It is one of the best distributions with
>> regard to having an up to date but still reasonably stable system. Other
>> options are Fedora  Rawhide (there's a Fedora SIG mailing list) or
>> Debian Sid (as others mentioned, there's a Debian SIG mailing list), but
>> I don't know how dependable those versions are.
>>
>> Leonardo Ferreira Fontenelle
>> Former GNOME translator
>>
>> Em Qui 9 jun. 2016, às 20:08, Ista Zahn escreveu:
>>> Perhaps r-sig-debian is more appropriate, though it is not clear to me
>>> that
>>> a debian based linux is in fact the best for running R. Of course "best"
>>> is
>>> not clearly defined here, but I highly recommend Archlinux.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Ista

Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de
PGP: 0x0F52F982

Re: New installation

zadig
I use opensuse linux with R , no problems, easy to install, added R repositories .

Re: New installation

Jeff Newmiller
Re this thread: Please stop with the "my favorite Linux" messages. If you have concrete direction as to why R is well supported (preferably links to detailed instructions), that could be construed as "R-help", but "I like it" is unlikely to be useful to an inexperienced user.

Em Sex 10 jun. 2016, às 03:58, Rainer M Krug escreveu:

> Clint Bowman <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> I am really wondering, why nobody mentioned Ubuntu so far?
>
> Ubuntu is a really nice distro, I never had problems with it, many
> programs are available for Ubuntu, and it is build on Debian
> (stable). Don't worry about Unity Window manager - there are many other
> options available (Xubuntu being one of the better known ones - Ubuntu
> just packed with a different Windows Manager).
>
> If you are new to Linux, I would really suggest Ubuntu.

I believe any major Linux distribution will provide decent support for
R, and I agree there are plenty of reasons for preferring Ubuntu or
other Linux distributions over Arch Linux. The reason why I suggested
Arch Linux was how up to date the package is, because that was the
motivation of the original post.

R 3.3.0 was released by the R Core Team on 2016-05-03, and on 2016-05-04
it was available in Arch Linux's "testing" repository. On 2016-05-17,
after at least one week with no (packaging) bug reports, the package was
moved to the "extra". This is the usual rhythm. Don't be fooled by the
repository name, it is the repository for popular software like Firefox,
GNOME and LibreOffice, and it is maintained by official Arch Linux
developers / package maintainers.

Hope that helps,

Leonardo Ferreira Fontenelle

Re: New installation

JohnDee
On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 13:44:52 -0700
jax200 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm starting off with both R and Linux Mint.  During a recent R
> course, I had multiple difficulties with installing updates needed
> for the course.
>
> As such, I'd like to hit the restart button with fresh installs of
> Linux and R.  I would appreciate your help with which Linux platform
> works best with R, and how to go about getting all the updates
> installed for both programs.
>
> Many thanks,  Jack

Any Linux distribution is likely to work well with R.  The chief hick-up
is keeping you R release up to date.  Typical linux releases including
Ubuntu, Opensuse and Fedora R versions available through their system
updates all tend to lag behind the R release version available on CRAN.
Asking for help will inevitably result in responders asking about the R
version you used, and, if it is significantly older than the current
version, you will be asked to update R and retry your problem
procedure.  That means that you will probably want to handle updating R
manually to remain current rather than rely on the Linux release
updating system.

JDougherty

Re: New installation

jax200-2
Following up on this thread, I went with ubuntu.  All is good....

Many thanks for your responses,

Jack