New to R

lalitha.kristipati
Hi,

In our data we have 10 people with 10 different attributes , we want to rank the people based on the weightage of these attributes.

Suggest the best statistical method to do this.

Does Revolution R solves my problem??

Regards,
Lalitha Kristipati
Associate Software Engineer

Disclaimer:  This message and the information contained herein is proprietary and confidential and subject to the Tech Mahindra policy statement, you may review the policy at http://www.techmahindra.com/Disclaimer.html externally http://tim.techmahindra.com/tim/disclaimer.html internally within TechMahindra.

Re: New to R

Jeff Newmiller
Please don't cross-post to multiple lists. There is a Posting Guide mentioned in the footer that you probably won't see because you are using Nabble. It would have informed you that the R-devel mailing list was for people interested in modifying R, definitely not this topic.

As to your question, Revolution R would probably be overkill, and if you chose to go that route then asking the Revolution R support people for help would be appropriate. This list is for the open source R software that RR builds on.

Your problem  statement suggests you already know the weights... in which case this is a straightforward linear algebra calculation that is trivial in R.

But your question mentions selecting statistics methods, which is not on topic here in the R-help mailing list, since methods are independent of the software used to apply them. If you know what methods you want to apply, and have read the introductory R documentation, then this is an appropriate place to ask for help on how to apply R to your problem. If that is the case, then DO read the Posting Guide and try again with some example data and if possible some sample results you expect to get. We can then show you how to connect the dots using R.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing

On February 2, 2015 10:14:28 PM PST, Lalitha Kristipati <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi,
>

>In our data we have 10 people with 10 different attributes , we want to
>rank the people based on the weightage of these attributes.
>
>Suggest the best statistical method to do this.
>
>Does Revolution R solves my problem??
>

>Regards,
>Lalitha Kristipati
>Associate Software Engineer
>

>============================================================================================================================
>Disclaimer:  This message and the information contained herein is
>proprietary and confidential and subject to the Tech Mahindra policy
>statement, you may review the policy at
>http://www.techmahindra.com/Disclaimer.html externally
>http://tim.techmahindra.com/tim/disclaimer.html internally within
>TechMahindra.

Re: New to R

Jim Lemon-4
Hi Lalitha,
Your description is more like calculating a composite score from the
values observed on ten attributes, which can then be ranked. Perhaps
you want to standardize the observed values to insure that the result
is not dominated by the attribute with the numerically highest
variance. For example:

V1<-rnorm(10,5,5)
Z1<-scale(V1)

You can then combine your ten standardized (Z) scores to form a
composite score and rank your subjects on that.

Jim