Notational derivative in R

Bogaso
Hi,

I was wondering if R can perform notational derivative something like
Mathematica does as explained in
https://reference.wolfram.com/language/howto/TakeADerivative.html

Any pointer will be highly appreciated.

Re: Notational derivative in R

Eric Berger
Hi Christofer,
Look at https://cran.r-project.org/web/views/NumericalMathematics.html
and within that page search for Symbolic Mathematics. It shows two
packages: Ryacas and rSymPy.
I have no experience with them but they may be a good place to start.

HTH,
Eric

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 8:43 PM Christofer Bogaso <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if R can perform notational derivative something like
> Mathematica does as explained in
> https://reference.wolfram.com/language/howto/TakeADerivative.html
>
> Any pointer will be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

Re: Notational derivative in R

Jeff Newmiller
FWIW I have found all such tools to require babysitting... and for interactive use I prefer wxMaxima and some manual translation to R.

On May 14, 2020 10:50:56 AM PDT, Eric Berger <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi Christofer,
>Look at https://cran.r-project.org/web/views/NumericalMathematics.html
>and within that page search for Symbolic Mathematics. It shows two
>packages: Ryacas and rSymPy.
>I have no experience with them but they may be a good place to start.
>
>HTH,
>Eric
>

>On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 8:43 PM Christofer Bogaso <
>[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering if R can perform notational derivative something like
>> Mathematica does as explained in
>> https://reference.wolfram.com/language/howto/TakeADerivative.html
>>
>> Any pointer will be highly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,

Re: Notational derivative in R

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 14/05/2020 1:50 p.m., Eric Berger wrote:
> Hi Christofer,
> Look at https://cran.r-project.org/web/views/NumericalMathematics.html
> and within that page search for Symbolic Mathematics. It shows two
> packages: Ryacas and rSymPy.
> I have no experience with them but they may be a good place to start.

There's also `D` and related functions in base R.

Duncan Murdoch

> HTH,
> Eric
>

> On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 8:43 PM Christofer Bogaso <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering if R can perform notational derivative something like
>> Mathematica does as explained in
>> https://reference.wolfram.com/language/howto/TakeADerivative.html
>>
>> Any pointer will be highly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,

Re: Notational derivative in R

Jialin Ma

There is a new package published on CRAN called symengine (I am the
maintainer). That might be suitable for your need.

Best,
Jialin

On Thursday, May 14, 2020 2:00:20 PM EDT Jeff Newmiller wrote:

> FWIW I have found all such tools to require babysitting... and for
> interactive use I prefer wxMaxima and some manual translation to R.
> On May 14, 2020 10:50:56 AM PDT, Eric Berger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >Hi Christofer,
> >Look at https://cran.r-project.org/web/views/NumericalMathematics.html
> >and within that page search for Symbolic Mathematics. It shows two
> >packages: Ryacas and rSymPy.
> >I have no experience with them but they may be a good place to start.
> >
> >HTH,
> >Eric
> >

> >On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 8:43 PM Christofer Bogaso <
> >
> >[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I was wondering if R can perform notational derivative something like
> >> Mathematica does as explained in
> >> https://reference.wolfram.com/language/howto/TakeADerivative.html
> >>
> >> Any pointer will be highly appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks,

Re: Notational derivative in R

Eric Berger
Hi Jialin,
I was not aware of symengine. I just did a search and found that you were
recognized by the 'John Chambers Statistical Software Award' committee for
2020 for your work on the symengine package. Congratulations!