Off-topic -- an eye on a stats presentation for clinicians?

Off-topic -- an eye on a stats presentation for clinicians?

Mitchell Maltenfort
I've got a 20 slide Powerpoint set up against the expected day someone
says "Mitch, could you talk for a short while to the residents on how
to use statistics?"

It looks good at this end, but I'd love to get at least one more pair
of eyes on it.

Any volunteers?

--
Due to the recession, requests for instant gratification will be
deferred until arrears in scheduled gratification have been satisfied.

Re: Off-topic -- an eye on a stats presentation for clinicians?

Frank Harrell
Mitchell Maltenfort wrote:
> I've got a 20 slide Powerpoint set up against the expected day someone
> says "Mitch, could you talk for a short while to the residents on how
> to use statistics?"
>
> It looks good at this end, but I'd love to get at least one more pair
> of eyes on it.
>
> Any volunteers?

I would be glad to take an extremely quick look.  I would avoid
concentrating on distributions and emphasize confidence limits and box
plots.

Take a look at http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/ClinStat for a lot of
material.  A handout for a brief presentation to such an audience is at
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/twiki/pub/Main/FHHandouts/radiology.stat.issues.pdf

Note that my affiliation on those slides has not been updated since I
left my previous university.

Frank

--
Frank E Harrell Jr   Professor and Chair           School of Medicine

Frank Harrell

Re: Off-topic -- an eye on a stats presentation for clinicians?

Christopher W. Ryan
I'd love to take a look at it. I run journal club for our family
practice residents and have to do this all the time (with more or less
success; often less, it seems.)

--Chris
Christopher W. Ryan, MD
40 Arch Street, Johnson City, NY  13790
cryanatbinghamtondotedu
PGP public keys available at http://home.stny.rr.com/ryancw/

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
vast and endless sea."  [Antoine de St. Exupery]