On Windows, need external access to the BLAS, LAPACK and LINPACK linear algebra functions included in R

On Windows, need external access to the BLAS, LAPACK and LINPACK linear algebra functions included in R

Andre_Mikulec

Hi,

For my use, outside of the R environment, I am trying access the
BLAS, LAPACK and LINPACK linear algebra functions included in R

I am following the instructions here . . .

6.17 Using these functions in your own C code
https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-exts.html#Standalone-Mathlib
AND
9.1 Unix-alike
https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Unix_002dalike-standalone

to get . . .

6.7 Numerical analysis subroutines
https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-exts.html#Numerical-analysis-subroutines

However, when I run configure, I (eventually) get this error, and configure stops . . .

```
ComputerUser@COMPUTER MINGW64 /c/APPLICATIONS/r-source-R-4-0-branch
$ ./configure --with-x=no

checking for BSD networking... configure: error: BSD networking functions are required
```

What do I need to do next?

Thanks,
Andre Mikulec

Re: On Windows, need external access to the BLAS, LAPACK and LINPACK linear algebra functions included in R

Ivan Krylov
Hello Andre Mikulec!

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 00:20:35 +0000
Andre Mikulec <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ComputerUser@COMPUTER MINGW64 /c/APPLICATIONS/r-source-R-4-0-branch
>
> checking for BSD networking... configure: error: BSD networking
> functions are required
>
> What do I need to do next?

MinGW64 seems to be not sufficiently Unix-alike for ./configure to
conclude that it has sockets API (WinSock header names and some type
definitions are different from its expectations). You seem to be on
Windows. What happens if you follow the Windows workflow from the next
section?

https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Windows-standalone

Apologies if I'm missing some context, but it seems to me that the
Windows workflow is what's needed here.

--
Best regards,
Ivan

Re: On Windows, need external access to the BLAS, LAPACK and LINPACK linear algebra functions included in R

Andre_Mikulec
Ivan and all,

Thanks,

I compiled R from source on windows.

Next, I followed:
https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Windows-standalone

That works.

Thanks,
Andre Mikulec

________________________________
LINPACK linear algebra functions included in R

Hello Andre Mikulec!

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 00:20:35 +0000
Andre Mikulec <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ComputerUser@COMPUTER MINGW64 /c/APPLICATIONS/r-source-R-4-0-branch
>
> checking for BSD networking... configure: error: BSD networking
> functions are required
>
> What do I need to do next?

MinGW64 seems to be not sufficiently Unix-alike for ./configure to
conclude that it has sockets API (WinSock header names and some type
definitions are different from its expectations). You seem to be on

section?

Apologies if I'm missing some context, but it seems to me that the

--
Best regards,
Ivan

Re: On Windows, need external access to the BLAS, LAPACK and LINPACK linear algebra functions included in R

Andre_Mikulec
All,

Actually, I mis-read the instructions, I now have access to many R functions, but not  BLAS, LAPACK and LINPACK (directly).

That is something else I am still working on.