Package names

Hadley Wickham-2
Currently, writing R extensions states: "The ‘Package’ and ‘Version’
fields give the name and the version of the package, respectively. The
name should consist of letters, numbers, and the dot character and
start with a letter. "

Now that _ is no longer an assignment operator, could it be added to this list?

Hadley

--
http://had.co.nz/

Re: Package names

Kurt Hornik-5

> Currently, writing R extensions states: "The ‘Package’ and ‘Version’
> fields give the name and the version of the package, respectively. The
> name should consist of letters, numbers, and the dot character and
> start with a letter. "

> Now that _ is no longer an assignment operator, could it be added to
> this list?

This would make it trickier to parse PACKAGE_VERSION.tar.gz et al file
names, and break lots of code based on this naming scheme.

-k

> Hadley

> --
> http://had.co.nz/

Re: Package names

Hadley Wickham-2
>> Currently, writing R extensions states: "The ‘Package’ and ‘Version’
>> fields give the name and the version of the package, respectively. The
>> name should consist of letters, numbers, and the dot character and
>> start with a letter. "
>
>> Now that _ is no longer an assignment operator, could it be added to
>> this list?
>
> This would make it trickier to parse PACKAGE_VERSION.tar.gz et al file
> names, and break lots of code based on this naming scheme.

Oh, good point.

Hadley

--
http://had.co.nz/

Re: Package names

Uwe Ligges-3

Hadley Wickham wrote:
> Currently, writing R extensions states: "The ‘Package’ and ‘Version’
> fields give the name and the version of the package, respectively. The
> name should consist of letters, numbers, and the dot character and
> start with a letter. "
>
> Now that _ is no longer an assignment operator, could it be added to this list?

Hadley, it is used as the separator between packagename and version
number in the name of a package. And (at least my) code relies on the
fact that there is exactly one "_" in the filename.

Best,
Uwe

> Hadley

Re: Package names

Henrik Bengtsson
2009/9/3 Uwe Ligges <[hidden email]>:

> Hadley Wickham wrote:
>>
>> Currently, writing R extensions states: "The ‘Package’ and ‘Version’
>> fields give the name and the version of the package, respectively. The
>> name should consist of letters, numbers, and the dot character and
>> start with a letter. "
>>
>> Now that _ is no longer an assignment operator, could it be added to this
>> list?
>

> Hadley, it is used as the separator between packagename and version number
> in the name of a package. And (at least my) code relies on the fact that
> there is exactly one "_" in the filename.

I agree that this opens up for potential problems, but that one should
be possible to solve using correct regular expressions, just like it
was done to allow for periods ('.') in package names.

My $.02

/Henrik