Package "hse" has been REPLACED by package "dbd".

Package "hse" has been REPLACED by package "dbd".

Rolf Turner

A reviewer of a paper that I wrote, of which the "hse" package was
a central consideration, thought that users might find the name "hse"
("hope springs eternal") to be indicative of a lack of seriousness.

Consequently I have changed the name of the package to "dbd"
("discretised beta distribution").  The underlying distribution, on
which the package is focussed, is now called "db" ("discretised beta").

The "hse" package still exists, *only* in order to produce a message
(when the package is loaded) to the effect that the package is
deprecated and that users should install and utilse the dbd package
instead.

The dbd package includes a number of modifications which (it is to be
hoped) make it an improvement over the hse package that it replaces.

I would be grateful to anyone who points out any problems with or
errors in the dbd package.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Honorary Research Fellow
Department of Statistics

Re: Package "hse" has been REPLACED by package "dbd".

Abbs Spurdle
Previously, I disliked some of R's names.
e.g. Action of the Toes.
But then later realized toes are really important.

I don't want to disagree with a 'reviewer'.
But I would say subtle references to literature and philosophy
demonstrate 'depth'.

Was your reviewer a member of the (A)merican (S)tatistical (S)ociety...?
Who came up with that name...?

It's all subjective really...

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 10:39 AM Rolf Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A reviewer of a paper that I wrote, of which the "hse" package was
> a central consideration, thought that users might find the name "hse"
> ("hope springs eternal") to be indicative of a lack of seriousness.
>
> Consequently I have changed the name of the package to "dbd"
> ("discretised beta distribution").  The underlying distribution, on
> which the package is focussed, is now called "db" ("discretised beta").
>
> The "hse" package still exists, *only* in order to produce a message
> (when the package is loaded) to the effect that the package is
> deprecated and that users should install and utilse the dbd package
> instead.
>
> The dbd package includes a number of modifications which (it is to be
> hoped) make it an improvement over the hse package that it replaces.
>
> I would be grateful to anyone who points out any problems with or
> errors in the dbd package.
>
> cheers,
>
> Rolf Turner
>
> --
> Honorary Research Fellow
> Department of Statistics
> University of Auckland
> Phone: +64-9-373-7599 ext. 88276

Re: Package "hse" has been REPLACED by package "dbd".

Rolf Turner

On Mon, 3 May 2021 12:42:30 +1200
Abbs Spurdle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Previously, I disliked some of R's names.
> e.g. Action of the Toes.
> But then later realized toes are really important.
>
> I don't want to disagree with a 'reviewer'.
> But I would say subtle references to literature and philosophy
> demonstrate 'depth'.

Well, I thought so too. :-)  OTOH I recognise that I have a tendency to
be flippant, and perhaps it is just as well to curb this tendency.

> Was your reviewer a member of the (A)merican (S)tatistical
> (S)ociety...? Who came up with that name...?

Isn't it called the 'American Statistical *Association*"?  (Presumably
just so as to avoid that unfortunate acronym.)

I of course have no idea who the (anonymous) reviewer is.

> It's all subjective really...

Or a matter of taste.  And (as my late older brother was fond of
saying) there is no accounting for taste, or the lack thereof. :-)

cheers,

Rolf

--
Honorary Research Fellow