Playwith-problem with loading

Fencl, Martin
Helllo,
I am having trouble with running the library Playwith in the R-2.12.0. running under 32bit Windows XP. After calling the library the error message "The procedure entry point gdk_cairo_reset_clip could not be located in the dynamic library libgdk-win32-2.0-0.dll." occurs and the R asks for instaling the GTK+ package. However the instalation of GTK+ thorugh the R fails. I have installed GTK+ by installing GIMP 2.0 version 2.6.10 and set the path of environment variables. But it still does not work. It seems to be that the problem is in gtk2 (which I also installed).
Thank you for any hints!

> library(playwith)
Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
  unable to load shared object 'C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-212~1.0/library/RGtk2/libs/i386/RGtk2.dll':
  LoadLibrary failure:  The specified procedure could not be found.

Failed to load RGtk2 dynamic library, attempting to install it.
trying URL 'http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gtk-win/gtk2-runtime-2.22.0-2010-10-21-ash.exe?download'
Content type 'application/x-msdos-program' length 7820679 bytes (7.5 Mb)
opened URL
downloaded 7.5 Mb

Learn more about GTK+ at http://www.gtk.org
If the package still does not load, please ensure that GTK+ is installed and that it is on your PATH environment variable
IN ANY CASE, RESTART R BEFORE TRYING TO LOAD THE PACKAGE AGAIN
Error : .onAttach failed in attachNamespace() for 'gWidgetsRGtk2', details:
  call: .Call(name, ..., PACKAGE = PACKAGE)
  error: C symbol name "S_gtk_icon_factory_new" not in DLL for package "RGtk2"
Error: package 'gWidgetsRGtk2' could not be loaded

Re: Playwith-problem with loading

jverzaniNWBKZ
Fencl, Martin <Martin.Fencl <at> eawag.ch> writes:

> Helllo,
> I am having trouble with running the library Playwith in the R-2.12.0. running
under 32bit Windows XP.
> After calling the library the error message "The procedure entry point
gdk_cairo_reset_clip could not
> be located in the dynamic library libgdk-win32-2.0-0.dll." occurs and the R
asks for instaling the GTK+
> package. However the instalation of GTK+ thorugh the R fails. I have installed
GTK+ by installing GIMP 2.0
> version 2.6.10 and set the path of environment variables. But it still does
not work. It seems to be that the

> problem is in gtk2 (which I also installed).
> Thank you for any hints!
>
> > library(playwith)
> Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
>   unable to load shared object
'C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-212~1.0/library/RGtk2/libs/i386/RGtk2.dll':
>   LoadLibrary failure:  The specified procedure could not be found.

This is an issue that has arisen with the new RGtk2 package. For most (but not
all) the solution has been to a) remove the current gtk libraries b) install the
newest ones from sourceforge and c) reinstall RGtk2. For you, it may be that you
need only to set the path appropriately.

> Failed to load RGtk2 dynamic library, attempting to install it.
> trying URL
'http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gtk-win/gtk2-runtime-2.22.0-2010-10-21-ash.exe?download'
> Content type 'application/x-msdos-program' length 7820679 bytes (7.5 Mb)
> opened URL
> downloaded 7.5 Mb
>
> Learn more about GTK+ at http://www.gtk.org
> If the package still does not load, please ensure that GTK+ is installed and
that it is on your PATH
> environment variable
> IN ANY CASE, RESTART R BEFORE TRYING TO LOAD THE PACKAGE AGAIN
> Error : .onAttach failed in attachNamespace() for 'gWidgetsRGtk2', details:
>   call: .Call(name, ..., PACKAGE = PACKAGE)
>   error: C symbol name "S_gtk_icon_factory_new" not in DLL for package "RGtk2"
> Error: package 'gWidgetsRGtk2' could not be loaded

Re: Playwith-problem with loading

Michael Lawrence-3
On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Fencl, Martin <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Helllo,
> I am having trouble with running the library Playwith in the R-2.12.0.
> running under 32bit Windows XP. After calling the library the error message
> "The procedure entry point gdk_cairo_reset_clip could not be located in the
> dynamic library libgdk-win32-2.0-0.dll." occurs and the R asks for instaling
> the GTK+ package. However the instalation of GTK+ thorugh the R fails. I
> have installed GTK+ by installing GIMP 2.0 version 2.6.10 and set the path
> of environment variables. But it still does not work. It seems to be that
> the problem is in gtk2 (which I also installed).
> Thank you for any hints!

The GIMP binary of GTK+ has been known not to work well with R, and probably
simply is not new enough in this case. What do you mean the GTK+ installer
fails? Some details on that would be helpful.

Thanks,
Michael

> > library(playwith)
> Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
>  unable to load shared object
> 'C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-212~1.0/library/RGtk2/libs/i386/RGtk2.dll':
>  LoadLibrary failure:  The specified procedure could not be found.
>

> Failed to load RGtk2 dynamic library, attempting to install it.
> trying URL '
> http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gtk-win/gtk2-runtime-2.22.0-2010-10-21-ash.exe?download
> '
> Content type 'application/x-msdos-program' length 7820679 bytes (7.5 Mb)
> opened URL
> downloaded 7.5 Mb
>
> Learn more about GTK+ at http://www.gtk.org
> If the package still does not load, please ensure that GTK+ is installed
> and that it is on your PATH environment variable
> IN ANY CASE, RESTART R BEFORE TRYING TO LOAD THE PACKAGE AGAIN
> Error : .onAttach failed in attachNamespace() for 'gWidgetsRGtk2', details:
>  call: .Call(name, ..., PACKAGE = PACKAGE)
>  error: C symbol name "S_gtk_icon_factory_new" not in DLL for package
> "RGtk2"
> Error: package 'gWidgetsRGtk2' could not be loaded

Re: Playwith-problem with loading

Fencl, Martin
At the end it seems to be that the failure of R is not connected with instaling GTK+, because it occures after loading playwith library no matter if I confirm the GTK+ installation or not.  In fact it does not fail imediatelly you can even continue to input commands to the comand line but it fails after scolling left e.g. to see some longer expression.

The error message looks like this: "R for Windowa GUI front-end has encountered a problem and needs to close...."

The details of error are specified like this: "AppName: rgui.exe AppVer: 2.120.53317.0 ModName: msvcrt.dll  ModVer: 7.0.2600.5512 Offset: 00037fd4"

If I confirm the instalation of GTK+ after calling the library playwith it the instalation proceed ("the GTK2-Runtime" with banch of dll files occures on disk) but I cannot say if it is really completed  succesfuly.

After running the R again and calling the playwith library the same problem occurs no matter if there is GTK+ installed or not.

Thanks,
Martin