Plotting contour & filled.contour in one graph

Plotting contour & filled.contour in one graph

Abdul Rahman bin Kassim (Dr.)

Dear All,

I have a question on overlaying a filled.contour (e.g. on soil properties data) and contour (by elevation) in one graph. Both have the same z matrix dimension. I'm able to overlay both graph, but the plots dimension did not overlap well on the same plots. How can I have both filled.contour and contour on the same graph? The commands that I have written are as follows:

filled.contour(0:15,0:10,t(matrix(Total.C,nrow=11,ncol=16)))
contour(0:15,0:10,as.matrix(elev),add=T)

Thanks for anay assistance.

Regards.

Abd Rahman Kassim
Forest Research Institute Malaysia
Kepong 52109
Selangor, MALAYSIA

Re: Plotting contour & filled.contour in one graph

Romain François
Le 13.02.2006 05:12, Abd Rahman Kassim a écrit :

> Dear All,
>
> I have a question on overlaying a filled.contour (e.g. on soil properties data) and contour (by elevation) in one graph. Both have the same z matrix dimension. I'm able to overlay both graph, but the plots dimension did not overlap well on the same plots. How can I have both filled.contour and contour on the same graph? The commands that I have written are as follows:
>
> filled.contour(0:15,0:10,t(matrix(Total.C,nrow=11,ncol=16)))
> contour(0:15,0:10,as.matrix(elev),add=T)
>
> Thanks for anay assistance.
>
> Regards.
>

> Abd Rahman Kassim
> Forest Research Institute Malaysia
> Kepong 52109
> Selangor, MALAYSIA

Hi,

The trick is to use the argument plot.axes of filled.contour
There are examples of that in ?filled.contour

See also : http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/RGraphGallery.php?graph=128

Romain

--
visit the R Graph Gallery : http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques
mixmod 1.7 is released : http://www-math.univ-fcomte.fr/mixmod/index.php

Re: Plotting contour & filled.contour in one graph

Abdul Rahman bin Kassim (Dr.)

Dear Romain,

Thanks a lot for the suggested website and program code. I got it run.

Thanks.

Abd. Rahman Kassim
> Le 13.02.2006 05:12, Abd Rahman Kassim a écrit :
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I have a question on overlaying a filled.contour (e.g. on soil properties
>> data) and contour (by elevation) in one graph. Both have the same z
>> matrix dimension. I'm able to overlay both graph, but the plots dimension
>> did not overlap well on the same plots. How can I have both
>> filled.contour and contour on the same graph? The commands that I have
>> written are as follows:
>>
>> filled.contour(0:15,0:10,t(matrix(Total.C,nrow=11,ncol=16)))
>> contour(0:15,0:10,as.matrix(elev),add=T)
>>
>> Thanks for anay assistance.
>>
>> Regards.
>>

>> Abd Rahman Kassim
>> Forest Research Institute Malaysia
>> Kepong 52109
>> Selangor, MALAYSIA
>>
> Hi,
>
> The trick is to use the argument plot.axes of filled.contour
> There are examples of that in ?filled.contour
>
> See also :
> http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/RGraphGallery.php?graph=128
>
> Romain
>
> --
> visit the R Graph Gallery : http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques
> mixmod 1.7 is released : http://www-math.univ-fcomte.fr/mixmod/index.php
> | Romain FRANCOIS - http://francoisromain.free.fr               |
> | Doctorant INRIA Futurs / EDF                                  |

Re: Plotting contour & filled.contour in one graph

Mike Prager
Besides the answers you already have, you might look at my "4D" graph
example (with code) on the R Graphics Gallery:

http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/RGraphGallery.php?graph=90

I think it does exactly what you are asking, and therefore it might fit
your needs with only slight code modification.

Mike Prager

Abd Rahman Kassim wrote on 2/12/2006 11:12 PM:

> Dear All,
>
> I have a question on overlaying a filled.contour (e.g. on soil properties data) and contour (by elevation) in one graph. Both have the same z matrix dimension. I'm able to overlay both graph, but the plots dimension did not overlap well on the same plots. How can I have both filled.contour and contour on the same graph? The commands that I have written are as follows:
>
> filled.contour(0:15,0:10,t(matrix(Total.C,nrow=11,ncol=16)))
> contour(0:15,0:10,as.matrix(elev),add=T)
>
> Thanks for anay assistance.
>
> Regards.
>

> Abd Rahman Kassim
> Forest Research Institute Malaysia
> Kepong 52109
> Selangor, MALAYSIA

Michael H. Prager, Ph.D.
Population Dynamics Team
NOAA Center for Coastal Habitat and Fisheries Research
NMFS Southeast Fisheries Science Center
Beaufort, North Carolina  28516  USA
http://shrimp.ccfhrb.noaa.gov/~mprager/

Re: Plotting contour & filled.contour in one graph

Gabor Grothendieck
Could you walk us through, in detail, what that graph is showing?

On 2/12/06, Michael Prager <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Besides the answers you already have, you might look at my "4D" graph
> example (with code) on the R Graphics Gallery:
>
> http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/RGraphGallery.php?graph=90
>
> I think it does exactly what you are asking, and therefore it might fit
> your needs with only slight code modification.
>
> Mike Prager
>

> Abd Rahman Kassim wrote on 2/12/2006 11:12 PM:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I have a question on overlaying a filled.contour (e.g. on soil properties data) and contour (by elevation) in one graph. Both have the same z matrix dimension. I'm able to overlay both graph, but the plots dimension did not overlap well on the same plots. How can I have both filled.contour and contour on the same graph? The commands that I have written are as follows:
> >
> > filled.contour(0:15,0:10,t(matrix(Total.C,nrow=11,ncol=16)))
> > contour(0:15,0:10,as.matrix(elev),add=T)
> >
> > Thanks for anay assistance.
> >
> > Regards.
> >

> > Abd Rahman Kassim
> > Forest Research Institute Malaysia
> > Kepong 52109
> > Selangor, MALAYSIA

> Michael H. Prager, Ph.D.
> Population Dynamics Team
> NOAA Center for Coastal Habitat and Fisheries Research
> NMFS Southeast Fisheries Science Center
> Beaufort, North Carolina  28516  USA
> http://shrimp.ccfhrb.noaa.gov/~mprager/

Re: Plotting contour & filled.contour in one graph

Spencer Graves
Hi Michael and Gabor:

GABOR:  Prager's '4D' graph looks to me like superimposed contours of
both z and zz vs. (x, y), where z is indicated by the colors and pale
lines, while "black contour lines are values of zz" (as indicated by the
labeling).  I once wrote a crudely similar function to prepare contour
plots showing any number of z variables vs. (x, y), with each z variable
using different colors of contours and filling not with solid colors but
with cross hatching at different angles.  A reagion of acceptability
satisfying multiple inequality constraints would appear as all white,
i.e., with no cross hatching, in such a plot.  (Unfortunately, I never
found the time to get the function adequately dubugged and packaged so
others could easily use it.)

MICHAEL:  The "Addicted to R" web site with it's "R Graph Gallery" are
pretty.  Is a companion package downloadable from CRAN, or are they
still looking for volunteers to create the necessary help files, etc.?

          Best Wishes,
          spencer graves

Le 12.02.2006 18:20, Spencer Graves a écrit :
> Hi Michael and Gabor:
>
> (...)
>
> MICHAEL:  The "Addicted to R" web site with it's "R Graph Gallery" are
> pretty.  Is a companion package downloadable from CRAN
Not yet. That's something i've wanted to do in a long time (since the
beginning I think), but ...
> , or are they
> still looking for volunteers to create the necessary help files, etc.?

Anyone with ideas could volonteer something. Recently, i've done
something so that users can make comments about specified regions of a
graphic. See graph 29 for a first use of that toy, move the mouse on top
of the graphic, you should see it .. . (I hope that works ok with
several browsers, because javascript is involved)

A little sister of the R Graph Gallery could be a movie gallery created
with R. For example :
* illustration of the CLT
* convergence of the EM algorithm (there is an example here :
http://addictedtor.free.fr/misc/smalEM.avi )
* kernel density estimation varying the bandwidth
* etc ....

Let me know if you feel like you want to help doing something

Romain

--
visit the R Graph Gallery : http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques
mixmod 1.7 is released : http://www-math.univ-fcomte.fr/mixmod/index.php

Re: Plotting contour & filled.contour in one graph

Mike Prager
GG

Yes, gladly.  It is an idealized example of the following data
situation:  There are two control or "independent variables."  They are
represented here as x and y, on the horizontal and vertical axes
respectively.  There are two different responses or "dependent"
variables plotted as different types of contours.  The filled contours
show response z.  The heavy lines show response zz.

Thus such a plot displays two different responses from a two-dimensional
range of conditions.  As an example, in fishery biology, x might be the
age at which fish are first subject to capture, y might be the fishing
mortality rate (intensity) applied, z might be the resulting yield per
fish, and zz might be the resulting spawning per fish.  There is usually
a trade-off between yield and spawning potential, and such a graph (if
done with real data) allows one to look at that trade-off.

The OP seemed to be seeking a way of contouring two responses against
two independent variables, and that's what this graph does.

Is that clearer?  Would the graph would be better if I used real data?

MHP

Gabor Grothendieck wrote on 2/12/2006 11:31 AM:

> Could you walk us through, in detail, what that graph is showing?
>

> On 2/12/06, Michael Prager <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Besides the answers you already have, you might look at my "4D" graph
>> example (with code) on the R Graphics Gallery:
>>
>> http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/RGraphGallery.php?graph=90
>>
>> I think it does exactly what you are asking, and therefore it might fit
>> your needs with only slight code modification.
>>
>> Mike Prager
>>

>> Abd Rahman Kassim wrote on 2/12/2006 11:12 PM:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I have a question on overlaying a filled.contour (e.g. on soil properties data) and contour (by elevation) in one graph. Both have the same z matrix dimension. I'm able to overlay both graph, but the plots dimension did not overlap well on the same plots. How can I have both filled.contour and contour on the same graph? The commands that I have written are as follows:
>>>
>>> filled.contour(0:15,0:10,t(matrix(Total.C,nrow=11,ncol=16)))
>>> contour(0:15,0:10,as.matrix(elev),add=T)
>>>
>>> Thanks for anay assistance.
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>>

>>> Abd Rahman Kassim
>>> Forest Research Institute Malaysia
>>> Kepong 52109
>>> Selangor, MALAYSIA

>> --
>> Michael H. Prager, Ph.D.
>> Population Dynamics Team
>> NOAA Center for Coastal Habitat and Fisheries Research
>> NMFS Southeast Fisheries Science Center
>> Beaufort, North Carolina  28516  USA
>> http://shrimp.ccfhrb.noaa.gov/~mprager/

Michael H. Prager, Ph.D.
Population Dynamics Team
NOAA Center for Coastal Habitat and Fisheries Research
NMFS Southeast Fisheries Science Center
Beaufort, North Carolina  28516  USA
http://shrimp.ccfhrb.noaa.gov/~mprager/

Re: Plotting contour & filled.contour in one graph

Spencer Graves
Hi, Michael:

          I'm sure the example would be clearer AND more interesting if you
used real data AND accompanied it with a description like you gave
below.  To help motivate the usage, you could add a few words of
interpretation, e.g., that if you want both z and zz less than 2, x and
y must be in the upper right corner.

          Thanks for this.
          spencer graves

Michael Prager wrote:

> GG
>
> Yes, gladly.  It is an idealized example of the following data
> situation:  There are two control or "independent variables."  They are
> represented here as x and y, on the horizontal and vertical axes
> respectively.  There are two different responses or "dependent"
> variables plotted as different types of contours.  The filled contours
> show response z.  The heavy lines show response zz.
>
> Thus such a plot displays two different responses from a two-dimensional
> range of conditions.  As an example, in fishery biology, x might be the
> age at which fish are first subject to capture, y might be the fishing
> mortality rate (intensity) applied, z might be the resulting yield per
> fish, and zz might be the resulting spawning per fish.  There is usually
> a trade-off between yield and spawning potential, and such a graph (if
> done with real data) allows one to look at that trade-off.
>
> The OP seemed to be seeking a way of contouring two responses against
> two independent variables, and that's what this graph does.
>
> Is that clearer?  Would the graph would be better if I used real data?
>
> MHP
>

> Gabor Grothendieck wrote on 2/12/2006 11:31 AM:
>
>>Could you walk us through, in detail, what that graph is showing?
>>

>>On 2/12/06, Michael Prager <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>>Besides the answers you already have, you might look at my "4D" graph
>>>example (with code) on the R Graphics Gallery:
>>>
>>>http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/RGraphGallery.php?graph=90
>>>
>>>I think it does exactly what you are asking, and therefore it might fit
>>>your needs with only slight code modification.
>>>
>>>Mike Prager

>>>--
>>>Michael H. Prager, Ph.D.
>>>Population Dynamics Team
>>>NOAA Center for Coastal Habitat and Fisheries Research
>>>NMFS Southeast Fisheries Science Center
>>>Beaufort, North Carolina  28516  USA
>>>http://shrimp.ccfhrb.noaa.gov/~mprager/

Re: Plotting contour & filled.contour in one graph

Abdul Rahman bin Kassim (Dr.)

Dear Spencer,

Thanks for the assistance and the website. It will be very helpful for my
future code programming on graph in R.

Abd. Rahman

<[hidden email]>; "Abd Rahman Kassim" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2006 12:40 PM