Principal component analysis with EQUAMAX rotation

Principal component analysis with EQUAMAX rotation

Wagner
Hello,
I need to do a principal component analysis with EQUAMAX-rotation. Unfortunately the function principal() I use normally for PCA does not offer this rotation specification. I could find out that this might be possible somehow with the package GPArotation but until now I could not figure out how to use this in the principal component analysis.
Maybe someone can give an example on how to do an equamax-rotation PCA?
Or is there a function in another package that offers the use of equamax-rotation directly?
Thank you for your help!

Re: Principal component analysis with EQUAMAX rotation

William Revelle
Dear Wagner,
  I added the equamax rotation option to the psych package in version 1.4.6.  This was requested by Sagnik Chakravarty, with a solution by Gunter Nickel.

Unfortunately, the version on CRAN  is 1.4.5, but you can get 1.4.6 from the alternate repository  http://personality-project.org/r/  (if using a Mac) or  http://personality-project.org/r/src/contrib/   if using a PC.

Thus,

p3 <- principal(Thurstone,3,rotate="equamax”)  #will extract the first three components and rotate them using equamax.

Let me know if this does what you want.

Bill

William Revelle           http://personality-project.org/revelle.html
Professor           http://personality-project.org
Department of Psychology   http://www.wcas.northwestern.edu/psych/
Northwestern University   http://www.northwestern.edu/
Use R for psychology             http://personality-project.org/r
It is 5 minutes to midnight   http://www.thebulletin.org

Re: Principal component analysis with EQUAMAX rotation

William Revelle
Dear Wagner,
  I added the equamax rotation option to the psych package in version 1.4.6.  This was requested by Sagnik Chakravarty, with a solution by Gunter Nickel.

Unfortunately, the version on CRAN  is 1.4.5, but you can get the working prerelease of 1.4.6 (1.4.6.20)  from the alternate repository  http://personality-project.org/r/  (if using a Mac) or  http://personality-project.org/r/src/contrib/   if using a PC.

Thus,

 p3e <- principal(Thurstone,3,rotate="equamax")  #will extract the first three components and rotate them using equamax.
 p3n <- principal(Thurstone,3,rotate="none")   #will give you the unrotated 3 component solution
 p3v <- principal(Thurstone,3,rotate="varimax") #for the varimax solution

 factor.congruence(list(p3e,p3n,p3v))  #compares the Burt/Tucker congruence coefficients for these three solutions

Let me know if this does what you want.

Bill

On Jun 19, 2014, at 2:07 AM, Wagner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> I need to do a principal component analysis with EQUAMAX-rotation.
> Unfortunately the function principal() I use normally for PCA does not offer
> this rotation specification. I could find out that this might be possible
> somehow with the package GPArotation but until now I could not figure out
> how to use this in the principal component analysis.
> Maybe someone can give an example on how to do an equamax-rotation PCA?
> Or is there a function in another package that offers the use of
> equamax-rotation directly?
> Thank you for your help!

William Revelle           http://personality-project.org/revelle.html
Professor           http://personality-project.org
Department of Psychology   http://www.wcas.northwestern.edu/psych/
Northwestern University   http://www.northwestern.edu/
Use R for psychology             http://personality-project.org/r
It is 5 minutes to midnight   http://www.thebulletin.org

Re: Principal component analysis with EQUAMAX rotation

Orvalho Augusto
Dear!

I get this error when I try to install it on my linux PC:
root@orvaquimcism:~# R CMD INSTALL
/mnt/disco/downloads/R/psych_1.4.6.20.tar.gz
Error in rawToChar(block[seq_len(ns)]) :
  embedded nul in string:
'\037\x8b\b\0\0\0\0\0\0\003\xec\xbdk{\xe3Ƒ(\x9c\xaf\xc2\xf3\xf0?\xb4\xa9I\x86\x90
\x8a\0uq\xbc\x86\xf3N&\xb1\xd79\xb6ck\xc6\xde=\xab(\xfb@$$\xc1C\0024@J
\x94gy~\xfb[\xb7\xbe\0\004%\xcdxf\xe2d5\x89E\xa0\xd1]}\xab\xae\xae\xaa\xae\xae\x9aU\xb7\xa3\xab\xfd?\xfd\xf9\xc5\xf3'

My PC is:
Xubuntu 12.04 64-bit with R version 3.1.0 (2014-04-10).

Thanks
Orvalho

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 6:36 PM, William Revelle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Wagner,
>   I added the equamax rotation option to the psych package in version
> 1.4.6.  This was requested by Sagnik Chakravarty, with a solution by Gunter
> Nickel.
>
> Unfortunately, the version on CRAN  is 1.4.5, but you can get the working
> prerelease of 1.4.6 (1.4.6.20)  from the alternate repository
> http://personality-project.org/r/  (if using a Mac) or
> http://personality-project.org/r/src/contrib/   if using a PC.
>
> Thus,
>
>  p3e <- principal(Thurstone,3,rotate="equamax")  #will extract the first
> three components and rotate them using equamax.
>  p3n <- principal(Thurstone,3,rotate="none")   #will give you the
> unrotated 3 component solution
>  p3v <- principal(Thurstone,3,rotate="varimax") #for the varimax solution
>
>  factor.congruence(list(p3e,p3n,p3v))  #compares the Burt/Tucker
> congruence coefficients for these three solutions
>

> Let me know if this does what you want.
>
> Bill
>

> On Jun 19, 2014, at 2:07 AM, Wagner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I need to do a principal component analysis with EQUAMAX-rotation.
> > Unfortunately the function principal() I use normally for PCA does not
> offer
> > this rotation specification. I could find out that this might be possible
> > somehow with the package GPArotation but until now I could not figure out
> > how to use this in the principal component analysis.
> > Maybe someone can give an example on how to do an equamax-rotation PCA?
> > Or is there a function in another package that offers the use of
> > equamax-rotation directly?
> > Thank you for your help!
> >

> > --
> >

> William Revelle
> http://personality-project.org/revelle.html
> Professor                                  http://personality-project.org
> Department of Psychology   http://www.wcas.northwestern.edu/psych/
> Northwestern University    http://www.northwestern.edu/
> Use R for psychology             http://personality-project.org/r
> It is 5 minutes to midnight        http://www.thebulletin.org

Re: Principal component analysis with EQUAMAX rotation

William Revelle
Dear Orvalo Augusto,
  If you are using a PC, you need to get the zip file, not the tar.gz file.

It is at http://personality-project.org/r/src/contrib/

For Macs it is an “other repository”  (source option) at http://personality-project.org/r/

Bill

On Jun 21, 2014, at 12:36 AM, Orvalho Augusto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >

> > --
> >

> William Revelle                    http://personality-project.org/revelle.html
> Professor                                  http://personality-project.org
> Department of Psychology   http://www.wcas.northwestern.edu/psych/
> Northwestern University    http://www.northwestern.edu/
> Use R for psychology             http://personality-project.org/r
> It is 5 minutes to midnight        http://www.thebulletin.org

William Revelle           http://personality-project.org/revelle.html
Professor           http://personality-project.org
Department of Psychology   http://www.wcas.northwestern.edu/psych/
Northwestern University   http://www.northwestern.edu/
Use R for psychology             http://personality-project.org/r
It is 5 minutes to midnight   http://www.thebulletin.org

Re: Principal component analysis with EQUAMAX rotation

That's what I was looking for, thank you very much!