Problem Installing R to SuSE 10 via RPM

Matthew Pettis
Hi,

I'm trying to install R from an rpm locally to my account (the reason I'm
not doing it through yast/yast2/zypper is that the sys admin isn't yet
willing to install it, and doesn't want to support it, but will help me
support it if I install it locally -- in short, policy problems rather than
technical).  Below is the SuSE version, Kernel version, and rpm install
error I'm getting, as well as the error...

Can anyone help me with the error?  I'm trying to install R-base 2.14.1,
but it is telling me that I need R-base version 2.14.1 as a dependency.  Am
I using the wrong rpm for an installation starting from scratch?

I got the rpm from:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/R:/base/SLE_10/x86_64/

Thanks,
Matt

pettis@swat:~/bin> cat /etc/*-release
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86_64)
VERSION = 10
PATCHLEVEL = 2

pettis@swat:~/bin> uname -a
Linux swat 2.6.16.60-0.34-smp #1 SMP Fri Jan 16 14:59:01 UTC 2009 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

pettis@swat:~/bin> rpm -ivh R-base-devel-2.14.1-30.1.x86_64.rpm
warning: R-base-devel-2.14.1-30.1.x86_64.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature:
NOKEY, key ID 793371fe
error: Failed dependencies:
        R-base = 2.14.1 is needed by R-base-devel-2.14.1-30.1.x86_64

Re: Problem Installing R to SuSE 10 via RPM

Gavin Blackburn
I think it's saying you need to install R-base before R-base-devel.

You'll need to add a cran repository as SUSE might not have the most up-to-date version of R.

This is the code for Ubuntu I assume it's the same, just change the distro and keyserver:

sudo apt-get update
sudo add-apt-repository 'deb http://cran.ma.imperial.ac.uk/bin/linux/ubuntu oneiric/'
gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key E084DAB9
gpg -a --export E084DAB9 | sudo apt-key add -

You may also want to get Sun java, again, change distro and keyserver:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ferramroberto/java
sudo apt-key adv --recv-key --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com B725097B3ACC3965
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-plugin

Then run:

sudo apt-get install r-base r-base-dev
sudo R CMD javareconf

Cheers,

Gavin.

Re: Problem Installing R to SuSE 10 via RPM

Matthew Pettis
Thanks, will do!  I thought devel included base, but evidently, that's not
the case...

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Gavin Blackburn <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think it's saying you need to install R-base before R-base-devel.
>
> You'll need to add a cran repository as SUSE might not have the most
> up-to-date version of R.
>
> This is the code for Ubuntu I assume it's the same, just change the distro
> and keyserver:
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo add-apt-repository 'deb
> http://cran.ma.imperial.ac.uk/bin/linux/ubuntu oneiric/'
> gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key E084DAB9
> gpg -a --export E084DAB9 | sudo apt-key add -
>

> You may also want to get Sun java, again, change distro and keyserver:
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ferramroberto/java
> sudo apt-key adv --recv-key --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.comB725097B3ACC3965
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-plugin
>
> Then run:
>

> sudo apt-get install r-base r-base-dev
> sudo R CMD javareconf
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gavin.

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise men of old. Seek what
they sought.

- Matsuo Munefusa (”Basho”)

Re: Problem Installing R to SuSE 10 via RPM

Marc Schwartz-3
Two things:

1. Looking at the sizes of the RPMs at the URL provided, the 'R-base-devel' RPM is only 84k. So as with other Linux distros, that is likely to contain R header files and other such things to enable compilation of CRAN packages during their installation using the source tarballs. The 'R-base' RPM is 33Mb, so that is your primary install for R. You will want both.

2. I don't know about the configuration of the RPMs on SUSE, but presume that as with RH/Fedora, the RPMs can be created in such a fashion that they are not relocatable. That means that they are configured to be only installed 'system-wide', not to a specific user's directory tree. You may have issues trying to install them without root access on your computer, thus may get other permission related errors when you get the correct RPM. Whether they are or are not relocatable would be a question for the SUSE maintainer for the R package. If they are, there are 'rpm' command line arguments that are relevant. So use 'man rpm' for more details. If the RPMs are not relocatable, you will be left with the option of building R from source in order to install R locally and will want to read the R Installation and Administration manual for details.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz

On Jan 13, 2012, at 11:00 AM, Matthew Pettis wrote:

> Thanks, will do!  I thought devel included base, but evidently, that's not
> the case...
>
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Gavin Blackburn <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I think it's saying you need to install R-base before R-base-devel.
>>
>> You'll need to add a cran repository as SUSE might not have the most
>> up-to-date version of R.
>>
>> This is the code for Ubuntu I assume it's the same, just change the distro
>> and keyserver:
>>
>> sudo apt-get update
>> sudo add-apt-repository 'deb
>> http://cran.ma.imperial.ac.uk/bin/linux/ubuntu oneiric/'
>> gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key E084DAB9
>> gpg -a --export E084DAB9 | sudo apt-key add -
>>

>> You may also want to get Sun java, again, change distro and keyserver:
>>
>> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ferramroberto/java
>> sudo apt-key adv --recv-key --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.comB725097B3ACC3965
>> sudo apt-get update
>> sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-plugin
>>
>> Then run:
>>

>> sudo apt-get install r-base r-base-dev
>> sudo R CMD javareconf
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Gavin.

Ken Hutchison
apt-get wont run on Suse unless you have aptitude, also your distribution won't compile a deb without some intervention. You won't be able to query the package regardless of key if your local proxy settings won't let you because of admin. Perhaps see if there is a tool to convert the deb package to rpm locally to install after downloading the deb, although building from source shouldn't be that challenging unless you have ridiculous Fortran compiler problems like I do with Linux.
     Hope that helps,
       Ken

On Jan 13, 2012, at 1:13 PM, Marc Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Two things:
>
> 1. Looking at the sizes of the RPMs at the URL provided, the 'R-base-devel' RPM is only 84k. So as with other Linux distros, that is likely to contain R header files and other such things to enable compilation of CRAN packages during their installation using the source tarballs. The 'R-base' RPM is 33Mb, so that is your primary install for R. You will want both.
>
> 2. I don't know about the configuration of the RPMs on SUSE, but presume that as with RH/Fedora, the RPMs can be created in such a fashion that they are not relocatable. That means that they are configured to be only installed 'system-wide', not to a specific user's directory tree. You may have issues trying to install them without root access on your computer, thus may get other permission related errors when you get the correct RPM. Whether they are or are not relocatable would be a question for the SUSE maintainer for the R package. If they are, there are 'rpm' command line arguments that are relevant. So use 'man rpm' for more details. If the RPMs are not relocatable, you will be left with the option of building R from source in order to install R locally and will want to read the R Installation and Administration manual for details.
>
> HTH,
>
> Marc Schwartz
>
> On Jan 13, 2012, at 11:00 AM, Matthew Pettis wrote:
>
>> Thanks, will do!  I thought devel included base, but evidently, that's not
>> the case...
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Gavin Blackburn <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I think it's saying you need to install R-base before R-base-devel.
>>>
>>> You'll need to add a cran repository as SUSE might not have the most
>>> up-to-date version of R.
>>>
>>> This is the code for Ubuntu I assume it's the same, just change the distro
>>> and keyserver:
>>>
>>> sudo apt-get update
>>> sudo add-apt-repository 'deb
>>> http://cran.ma.imperial.ac.uk/bin/linux/ubuntu oneiric/'
>>> gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key E084DAB9
>>> gpg -a --export E084DAB9 | sudo apt-key add -
>>>

>>> You may also want to get Sun java, again, change distro and keyserver:
>>>
>>> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ferramroberto/java
>>> sudo apt-key adv --recv-key --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.comB725097B3ACC3965
>>> sudo apt-get update
>>> sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-plugin
>>>
>>> Then run:
>>>

>>> sudo apt-get install r-base r-base-dev
>>> sudo R CMD javareconf
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Gavin.

Peter Dalgaard-2

On Jan 13, 2012, at 17:43 , Matthew Pettis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install R from an rpm locally to my account (the reason I'm
> not doing it through yast/yast2/zypper is that the sys admin isn't yet
> willing to install it, and doesn't want to support it, but will help me
> support it if I install it locally -- in short, policy problems rather than
> technical).  Below is the SuSE version, Kernel version, and rpm install
> error I'm getting, as well as the error...

As others have said, installing from RPM outside the system folders could be a no-go. Another option is to install from source, this works fine if you have all the relevant packages installed (compilers, libraries, header files...). If you don't already have them get your sysadm to install them (say, one per day over a couple of weeks, until he sees the error of his ways...).

But really, the painless option for both of you is just to install it from the official SUSE sources with yast, keep it updated automagically, and keep all add-on packages in your own home directory. The sysadmin workload for R on SUSE (and most other Linuxen) should be essentially nil.

> Can anyone help me with the error?  I'm trying to install R-base 2.14.1,
> but it is telling me that I need R-base version 2.14.1 as a dependency.  Am
> I using the wrong rpm for an installation starting from scratch?
>
> I got the rpm from:
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/R:/base/SLE_10/x86_64/
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>

> pettis@swat:~/bin> cat /etc/*-release
> SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86_64)
> VERSION = 10
> PATCHLEVEL = 2
>
> pettis@swat:~/bin> uname -a
> Linux swat 2.6.16.60-0.34-smp #1 SMP Fri Jan 16 14:59:01 UTC 2009 x86_64
> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> pettis@swat:~/bin> rpm -ivh R-base-devel-2.14.1-30.1.x86_64.rpm
> warning: R-base-devel-2.14.1-30.1.x86_64.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature:
> NOKEY, key ID 793371fe
> error: Failed dependencies:
>        R-base = 2.14.1 is needed by R-base-devel-2.14.1-30.1.x86_64

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501