Problem i9ncreasing memory to jvm for XLConnect

Problem i9ncreasing memory to jvm for XLConnect

Nevil Amos
I am using some r scripts to reformat a large data set that needs to be
saved into xls format.

I am getting   the  “Out of Memory Error (Java)” despite having set a large
memory in the first line of the script ( on opening R and before loading
any libraries)

I am using R version 2.15.2 (2012-10-26) -- "Trick or Treat"
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

On 64 Bit window 7 machine with 12G of ram.

When I run the script to increase memory for jvm it is not increasing the
memory but remaining at 244MB ( presumably the remainder of the initial
256mb once JVM is loaded...

the script and out put is as follows

> rm(list = ls())
> options(java.parameters = "-Xmx4096m",stringsAsFactors=F)
> library(XLConnect)
XLConnect 0.2-3 by Mirai Solutions GmbH
http://www.mirai-solutions.com ,
http://miraisolutions.wordpress.com
> print(xlcMemoryReport())
Amount of free memory in the Java Virtual Machine (JVM):  244.0936 MB

How do I increase the memory?

thanks

Re: Problem i9ncreasing memory to jvm for XLConnect

ajdamico
the

> rm(list = ls())

at the top of your snippet makes me wonder if you had loaded any packages
(like XLConnect) that use Java in a previous part of the session?  i
believe you must designate the ram allocation for java prior to loading any
java-related packages, and clearing out your objects will not act as a
reset..

i'm also not sure if the memory report shows what's currently allocated or
the actual maximum..  i've had success with increasing the allocation on
windows in the past, even though the initial memory report said only
~120mb.  be sure to execute the xlcFreeMemory() command after any big
runs-- it's the java-equivalent of gc()

also you should be able to use
options( java.parameters = "-Xmx4g" )
unless you love multiplying by 1024  :)

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 3:21 AM, nevil amos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am using some r scripts to reformat a large data set that needs to be
> saved into xls format.
>
> I am getting   the  “Out of Memory Error (Java)” despite having set a large
> memory in the first line of the script ( on opening R and before loading
> any libraries)
>
> I am using R version 2.15.2 (2012-10-26) -- "Trick or Treat"
> Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
>
> On 64 Bit window 7 machine with 12G of ram.
>
> When I run the script to increase memory for jvm it is not increasing the
> memory but remaining at 244MB ( presumably the remainder of the initial
> 256mb once JVM is loaded...
>
> the script and out put is as follows
>
> > rm(list = ls())
> > options(java.parameters = "-Xmx4096m",stringsAsFactors=F)
> > library(XLConnect)
> XLConnect 0.2-3 by Mirai Solutions GmbH
> http://www.mirai-solutions.com ,
> http://miraisolutions.wordpress.com
> > print(xlcMemoryReport())
> Amount of free memory in the Java Virtual Machine (JVM):  244.0936 MB
>

> How do I increase the memory?
>
> thanks

Re: Problem i9ncreasing memory to jvm for XLConnect

Nevil Amos
Thanks for those suggestions.

There was no previous part of the session .  I opened r then ran the script
as seen.  In this case the

> rm(list = ls())

was superfluous - I just tend to have it at the beginning of scripts
to remove any rubbish if I have run previous stuff in the session.

It would be nice if the xlcFreeMemory()  gave the maximum available.