Problem in installing and starting Rattle

Problem in installing and starting Rattle

kgorahava
Hello,

I am trying to install and run Rattle on my Dell Laptop and I have Windows 7 OS.

The following three commands executed successfully :
 install.packages("RGtk2")

install.packages("rattle")

 library(rattle)
Rattle: Graphical interface for data mining using R.
Version 2.5.47 Copyright (c) 2006-2010 Togaware Pty Ltd.
Type 'rattle()' to shake, rattle, and roll your data.

When I type the below command, I get an error message.

> rattle()
Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
  unable to load shared object 'C:/Users/Kaushik/Documents/R/win-library/2.12/RGtk2/libs/i386/RGtk2.dll':
  LoadLibrary failure:  The specified module could not be found.

Failed to load RGtk2 dynamic library, attempting to install it.
trying URL 'http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gtk-win/gtk2-runtime-2.22.0-2010-10-21-ash.exe?download'
Content type 'application/octet-stream' length 7820679 bytes (7.5 Mb)
opened URL
downloaded 7.5 Mb

Learn more about GTK+ at http://www.gtk.org
If the package still does not load, please ensure that GTK+ is installed and that it is on your PATH environment variable
IN ANY CASE, RESTART R BEFORE TRYING TO LOAD THE PACKAGE AGAIN
Error in as.GType(type) : Cannot convert RGtkBuilder to GType
> rattle()
Error in as.GType(type) : Cannot convert RGtkBuilder to GType

Why do I get this error message ?

Please advice.

Re: Problem in installing and starting Rattle

Graham Williams
On 15 November 2010 15:30, kgorahava <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install and run Rattle on my Dell Laptop and I have Windows
> 7
> OS.
>
> The following three commands executed successfully :
>  install.packages("RGtk2")
>
> install.packages("rattle")
>
>  library(rattle)
> Rattle: Graphical interface for data mining using R.
> Version 2.5.47 Copyright (c) 2006-2010 Togaware Pty Ltd.
> Type 'rattle()' to shake, rattle, and roll your data.
>
> When I type the below command, I get an error message.
>
> > rattle()
> Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
>  unable to load shared object
> 'C:/Users/Kaushik/Documents/R/win-library/2.12/RGtk2/libs/i386/RGtk2.dll':
>  LoadLibrary failure:  The specified module could not be found.
>
> Failed to load RGtk2 dynamic library, attempting to install it.
> trying URL
> '
> http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gtk-win/gtk2-runtime-2.22.0-2010-10-21-ash.exe?download
> '
> Content type 'application/octet-stream' length 7820679 bytes (7.5 Mb)
> opened URL
> downloaded 7.5 Mb
>
> Learn more about GTK+ at http://www.gtk.org
> If the package still does not load, please ensure that GTK+ is installed
> and
> that it is on your PATH environment variable
> IN ANY CASE, RESTART R BEFORE TRYING TO LOAD THE PACKAGE AGAIN
> Error in as.GType(type) : Cannot convert RGtkBuilder to GType
> > rattle()
> Error in as.GType(type) : Cannot convert RGtkBuilder to GType
>
> Why do I get this error message ?
>
> Please advice.

It looks like you did not install the gtk2 package (independent of R) first.
But in the process, RGtk2 noticed this and it looks like it installed it
okay. You might like to follow the instructions that are shouted at you as
all capitals:

"IN ANY CASE, RESTART R BEFORE TRYING TO LOAD THE PACKAGE AGAIN"

Hope that works.

Installation instructions for Rattle can be found at:

http://datamining.togaware.com/survivor/Install_MS_Windows.html

Regards,
Graham

Re: Problem in installing and starting Rattle

Dieter Menne
kgorahava wrote
I am trying to install and run Rattle on my Dell Laptop and I have Windows 7 OS.

install.packages("RGtk2")

install.packages("rattle")

 library(rattle)
Rattle: Graphical interface for data mining using R.
Version 2.5.47 Copyright (c) 2006-2010 Togaware Pty Ltd.
Type 'rattle()' to shake, rattle, and roll your data.

When I type the below command, I get an error message.
This had bugged me before, and reinstalling Rgtk over and over did not help. I got it to work after total cleanup of all GTk related files (use a global search!) and reinstalling Gtk. So old-version files had come into the way.

Dieter

Re: Problem in installing and starting Rattle

Prof Brian Ripley
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010, Dieter Menne wrote:

> kgorahava wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to install and run Rattle on my Dell Laptop and I have Windows
>> 7 OS.
>>
>> install.packages("RGtk2")
>>
>> install.packages("rattle")
>>
>>  library(rattle)
>> Rattle: Graphical interface for data mining using R.
>> Version 2.5.47 Copyright (c) 2006-2010 Togaware Pty Ltd.
>> Type 'rattle()' to shake, rattle, and roll your data.
>>
>> When I type the below command, I get an error message.
>>

> This had bugged me before, and reinstalling Rgtk over and over did not help.
> I got it to work after total cleanup of all GTk related files (use a global
> search!) and reinstalling Gtk. So old-version files had come into the way.

If they are in your PATH, they will (and we do also warn that 32-bit
DLLs in the path for 64-bit R or v.v. will lead to confusion).

So just check your PATH: you can have multiple Gtk+ installations, and
you need to if you use both 32- and 64-bit R (but you need to set the
PATH appropriately).

> Dieter

Re: Problem in installing and starting Rattle

F Mai
I also have the problem trying to start rattle

Windows 7 32-bit R 2.12.0

When I try library(rattle) I get an error message
"The procedure entry point deflateSetHeader could not be located in the dynamic link library zilb1.dll"
I hit OK and it prompts me to install GTK+ again. I tried to uninstall GTK+ first and delete all related files as Dieter suggested but still wont work :(

Re: Problem in installing and starting Rattle

F Mai
Ok to follow up my post, I finally got rattle and RGtk2 to work. The trick is when R prompts me to install Gtk2+ I still hit yes but after the download, once the installation process starts I close the R Gui window. After Gtk2+ installation is complete I start R again and it worked.

Re: Problem in installing and starting Rattle

Graham Williams-2
On 16 November 2010 02:40, Feng Mai <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I also have the problem trying to start rattle
>
> Windows 7 32-bit R 2.12.0
>
> When I try library(rattle) I get an error message
> "The procedure entry point deflateSetHeader could not be located in the
> dynamic link library zilb1.dll"
> I hit OK and it prompts me to install GTK+ again. I tried to uninstall GTK+
> first and delete all related files as Dieter suggested but still wont work
> :(

Yes, this is another issue that arose with R 2.12.0 and discussed on the
rattle-users mailing list (http://groups.google.com/group/rattle-users). Be
sure to use the newest version of Rattle (currently 2.5.47) where this has
been "fixed". I've not worked out why, but if the XML package is loaded
before the RGtk2 package we see this error, but not if RGtk2 is loaded
first. Rattle now loads RGtk2 first.

Regards,
Graham

Re: Problem in installing and starting Rattle

Michael Lawrence-3
On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Graham Williams <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16 November 2010 02:40, Feng Mai <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > I also have the problem trying to start rattle
> >
> > Windows 7 32-bit R 2.12.0
> >
> > When I try library(rattle) I get an error message
> > "The procedure entry point deflateSetHeader could not be located in the
> > dynamic link library zilb1.dll"
> > I hit OK and it prompts me to install GTK+ again. I tried to uninstall
> GTK+
> > first and delete all related files as Dieter suggested but still wont
> work
> > :(
>

> Yes, this is another issue that arose with R 2.12.0 and discussed on the
> rattle-users mailing list (http://groups.google.com/group/rattle-users).
> Be
> sure to use the newest version of Rattle (currently 2.5.47) where this has
> been "fixed". I've not worked out why, but if the XML package is loaded
> before the RGtk2 package we see this error, but not if RGtk2 is loaded
> first. Rattle now loads RGtk2 first.

The reason is that the zlib1.dll provided with XML is older than the one
expected by the automatically installed GTK+ binaries. I'm working on a way
to make installing RGtk2 easier for others.

> Regards,
> Graham

Re: Problem in installing and starting Rattle

nerice
CHECK FOR CONFLICTS IN YOUR PATH !!!

I had a related problem when trying to use library "RGtk2" for the first time.  My problem was that when loading the library R was looking for the file "zlib1.dll" but couldn't find the procedure to launch RGtk2. I was getting an "Entry Point not found" error from Rgui.exe.

The reason was because I had another package in my PATH environment variable (C:\program files\Intel\WiFi\bin) which had a CONFLICTING version of the "zlib1.dll" - and it was looking in this file and not the "zlib1.dll" which came with GTK+.

Removed this conflict from the PATH and all was ok.

Re: Problem in installing and starting Rattle

Tony Plate
On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 6:57 AM, nerice <[hidden email]> wrote:

> CHECK FOR CONFLICTS IN YOUR PATH !!!
>
> I had a related problem when trying to use library "RGtk2" for the first
> time.  My problem was that when loading the library R was looking for the
> file "zlib1.dll" but couldn't find the procedure to launch RGtk2. I was
> getting an "Entry Point not found" error from Rgui.exe.
>
> The reason was because I had another package in my PATH environment variable
> (C:\program files\Intel\WiFi\bin) which had a CONFLICTING version of the
> "zlib1.dll" - and it was looking in this file and not the "zlib1.dll" which
> came with GTK+.
>
> Removed this conflict from the PATH and all was ok.

I also had a related problem trying to use libary RGtk2 under Windows XP.

I kept getting the message "unable to load shared object
C:\R\site-library\RGtk2\libs\i386\RGtk2.dll"

Uninstalling and reinstalling various versions of GTK2, both through R
and outside R, many times, did not help.

With the help of Neil Rice's comment, I found that there was another
version of zlib1.dll in a directory on my PATH.  Removing that
directory from the path (inside R) fixed the problem and RGtk2 runs
fine now.

Here's an R expression to look for other copies on zlib1.dll on the path:

> with(list(x=file.path(strsplit(Sys.getenv("PATH"), ";")$PATH, "zlib1.dll")), x[file.exists(x)])
[1] "C:\\R\\GTK2-Runtime\\bin/zlib1.dll"

There are many ways to modify the PATH.  To set PATH inside R:

> Sys.setenv(PATH=paste(grep("UNWANTED\\\\PATH", strsplit(Sys.getenv("PATH"), ";")[[1]], value=T, invert=T), collapse=";"))

(substitute some pattern that matches the unwanted directory for
"UNWANTED\\\\PATH", remembering to use four backslashes to match one).

-- Tony Plate

yz

Re: Problem in installing and starting Rattle

yz
I replace the zlib1.dll in system32
C:\WINDOWS\system32\zlib1.dll
with the zlib1.dll in GTK2
D:\GTK2-Runtime\bin\zlib1.dll

Re: Problem in installing and starting Rattle

rrrmmm
Check this entry point not found dynamic link library post to know how to solve this problem..