Problem launching Rcmdr

Brian Grossman
I'm having a problem with launching Rcmdr. When I try to launch it the
first time through R using the command library(Rcmdr) it will go through
the process of launching and get to the point where it says

"Registered S3 methods overwritten by 'lme4':
  method                          from
  cooks.distance.influence.merMod car
  influence.merMod                car
  dfbeta.influence.merMod         car
  dfbetas.influence.merMod        car
lattice theme set by effectsTheme()
See ?effectsTheme for details."

and then it just hangs there and never launches Rcmdr. If you launch
another instance of R and run the same command it will complete and launch
Rcmdr successfully. I have tried launching R with R.exe --vanilla with the
same results.

The system information is Windows 10 version 1903, i5 8500 processor, 8GB
RAM, 256Gb  SSD. R version 3.6.2 Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

Hopefully I haven't left out any important information. Thank you for any
suggestions.

Re: Problem launching Rcmdr

Fox, John
Dear Brian,

Normally I'd expect that a workspace saved from a previous session and loaded at the start of the current session would cause this kind of anomalous behaviour, but that doesn't explain why the Rcmdr starts up properly in a second (concurrent?) session, nor why it doesn't start up properly when R is run with the --vanilla switch.

Can you report the result of sessionInfo() at the start of a session?

If all else fails, you could try uninstalling and reinstalling R and packages.

Best,
 John

  -----------------------------
  John Fox, Professor Emeritus
  McMaster University
  Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  Web: http::/socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox

> On Mar 9, 2020, at 3:25 PM, Brian Grossman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm having a problem with launching Rcmdr. When I try to launch it the
> first time through R using the command library(Rcmdr) it will go through
> the process of launching and get to the point where it says
>
> "Registered S3 methods overwritten by 'lme4':
>  method                          from
>  cooks.distance.influence.merMod car
>  influence.merMod                car
>  dfbeta.influence.merMod         car
>  dfbetas.influence.merMod        car
> lattice theme set by effectsTheme()
> See ?effectsTheme for details."
>
> and then it just hangs there and never launches Rcmdr. If you launch
> another instance of R and run the same command it will complete and launch
> Rcmdr successfully. I have tried launching R with R.exe --vanilla with the
> same results.
>
> The system information is Windows 10 version 1903, i5 8500 processor, 8GB
> RAM, 256Gb  SSD. R version 3.6.2 Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
>
> Hopefully I haven't left out any important information. Thank you for any
> suggestions.

Re: Problem launching Rcmdr

Fox, John
Dear Brian,

(Please keep r-help in the loop so that if someone else has this problem they'll have something to refer to.)

Your session at start-up seems completely clean, so I'm at a loss to understand what the problem is. I, and I assume very many other people, are using the Rcmdr with essentially the same Windows setup. What's particularly hard for me to understand is that you're able to start the Rcmdr in a second R session. Does the first R session have to remain open for this to work?

A next step is to reinstall packages, starting with the Rcmdr package, if you haven't already tried that, and eventually to reinstall R, including deleting the R package library. BTW, I usually prefer to install R in c:\R\ rather than under Program Files so that the system library is used for packages that I subsequently install, although it should work perfectly fine to install packages into a personal library.

Best,
 John

Re: Problem launching Rcmdr

Peter Dalgaard-2
Any chance that a virus checker is interfering?

-pd

> On 10 Mar 2020, at 23:43 , Fox, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear Brian,
>
> (Please keep r-help in the loop so that if someone else has this problem they'll have something to refer to.)
>
> Your session at start-up seems completely clean, so I'm at a loss to understand what the problem is. I, and I assume very many other people, are using the Rcmdr with essentially the same Windows setup. What's particularly hard for me to understand is that you're able to start the Rcmdr in a second R session. Does the first R session have to remain open for this to work?
>
> A next step is to reinstall packages, starting with the Rcmdr package, if you haven't already tried that, and eventually to reinstall R, including deleting the R package library. BTW, I usually prefer to install R in c:\R\ rather than under Program Files so that the system library is used for packages that I subsequently install, although it should work perfectly fine to install packages into a personal library.
>
> Best,
> John

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Office: A 4.23

Re: Problem launching Rcmdr

Pfaff, Bernhard Dr.-2
Good catch, Peter; Cylance might be the culprit - at least I encountered problems by compiling C++ sources and/or building packages with interfaced routines and here a memory checker kicked in.
Maybe something akin is happening by launching Rcmdr (tcl/tk)?

Any chance that a virus checker is interfering?

-pd

> On 10 Mar 2020, at 23:43 , Fox, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear Brian,
>
> (Please keep r-help in the loop so that if someone else has this
> problem they'll have something to refer to.)
>
> Your session at start-up seems completely clean, so I'm at a loss to understand what the problem is. I, and I assume very many other people, are using the Rcmdr with essentially the same Windows setup. What's particularly hard for me to understand is that you're able to start the Rcmdr in a second R session. Does the first R session have to remain open for this to work?
>
> A next step is to reinstall packages, starting with the Rcmdr package, if you haven't already tried that, and eventually to reinstall R, including deleting the R package library. BTW, I usually prefer to install R in c:\R\ rather than under Program Files so that the system library is used for packages that I subsequently install, although it should work perfectly fine to install packages into a personal library.
>
> Best,
> John

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Center for Statistics, Copenhagen Business School Solbjerg Plads 3, 2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark
Phone: (+45)38153501
Office: A 4.23

[hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__stat.ethz.ch_mailman_listinfo_r-2Dhelp&d=DwIFAg&c=MWFkEADu9ctt4KEmLIuwsQ&r=OhbxYoJKYsmfC2WjzTKFj7Fw1qyrbJIFo5BfgVqACaM&m=385Kfv02lZxykzhYHnbjRxxzMBywESQnuptbnhDtfTc&s=jg4lofDFaGo2np9e6FoTRGku1mlQurK9XMxANVVp6qA&e=
PLEASE do read the posting guide https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.R-2Dproject.org_posting-2Dguide.html&d=DwIFAg&c=MWFkEADu9ctt4KEmLIuwsQ&r=OhbxYoJKYsmfC2WjzTKFj7Fw1qyrbJIFo5BfgVqACaM&m=385Kfv02lZxykzhYHnbjRxxzMBywESQnuptbnhDtfTc&s=g85V6DgoZLBte-UoRPs-KcLh7Fpr-qkxxpwVNbMmd9w&e=

Re: Problem launching Rcmdr

Fox, John
Dear Bernhard, Peter, and Brian,

Thanks, Peter, for the suggestion. If you're right then the problem is with tcltk more generally and not directly with the Rcmdr package.

Brian: That's easily checked and might clarify what's going on: Load the tcltk package via library(tcltk), and then try the following example from ?TkWidgetcmds:

------------ snip --------------

tt <- tktoplevel()
tkpack(txt.w <- tktext(tt))
tkinsert(txt.w, "0.0", "plot(1:10)")
eval.txt <- function()
   eval(parse(text = tclvalue(tkget(txt.w, "0.0", "end"))))
tkpack(but.w <- tkbutton(tt, text = "Submit", command = eval.txt))

## Try pressing the button, edit the text and when finished:

tkdestroy(tt)

------------ snip --------------

Best,
 John

Re: Problem launching Rcmdr

Brian Grossman
I did some testing and was able to run the tcltk commands without any
problems. It brought up the graph normally when I hit the submit button and
when I changed the values and hit submit it would change the graph
accordingly.The interesting thing is that after the tkdestroy(tt) command I
tried running library(Rcmdr) and it launched successfully. I'm not sure
what that means, but hopefully someone else will.

Thank you,

Brian

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 1:02 PM Fox, John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Bernhard, Peter, and Brian,
>
> Thanks, Peter, for the suggestion. If you're right then the problem is
> with tcltk more generally and not directly with the Rcmdr package.
>
> Brian: That's easily checked and might clarify what's going on: Load the
> tcltk package via library(tcltk), and then try the following example from
> ?TkWidgetcmds:
>
> ------------ snip --------------
>
> tt <- tktoplevel()
> tkpack(txt.w <- tktext(tt))
> tkinsert(txt.w, "0.0", "plot(1:10)")
> eval.txt <- function()
>    eval(parse(text = tclvalue(tkget(txt.w, "0.0", "end"))))
> tkpack(but.w <- tkbutton(tt, text = "Submit", command = eval.txt))
>
> ## Try pressing the button, edit the text and when finished:
>
> tkdestroy(tt)
>
> ------------ snip --------------
>
> Best,
>  John

Re: Problem launching Rcmdr

Fox, John
Dear Brian,

I'm afraid that I have no idea about what's going on, particularly why your second attempt to start the Rcmdr works, whether after a first attempt, or now after using tcltk.

Did you follow up on Peter's suggestion that your antivirus software may be the source of the problem?

Best,
 John

> On Mar 11, 2020, at 4:42 PM, Brian Grossman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I did some testing and was able to run the tcltk commands without any problems. It brought up the graph normally when I hit the submit button and when I changed the values and hit submit it would change the graph accordingly.The interesting thing is that after the tkdestroy(tt) command I tried running library(Rcmdr) and it launched successfully. I'm not sure what that means, but hopefully someone else will.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Brian
>
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 1:02 PM Fox, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Bernhard, Peter, and Brian,
>
> Thanks, Peter, for the suggestion. If you're right then the problem is with tcltk more generally and not directly with the Rcmdr package.
>
> Brian: That's easily checked and might clarify what's going on: Load the tcltk package via library(tcltk), and then try the following example from ?TkWidgetcmds:
>
> ------------ snip --------------
>
> tt <- tktoplevel()
> tkpack(txt.w <- tktext(tt))
> tkinsert(txt.w, "0.0", "plot(1:10)")
> eval.txt <- function()
>    eval(parse(text = tclvalue(tkget(txt.w, "0.0", "end"))))
> tkpack(but.w <- tkbutton(tt, text = "Submit", command = eval.txt))
>
> ## Try pressing the button, edit the text and when finished:
>
> tkdestroy(tt)
>
> ------------ snip --------------
>
> Best,
>  John

Re: Problem launching Rcmdr

Brian Grossman
John,

It appears that the new version of R 3.6.3 does not have this issue. I will
be doing more testing and will let you know if we have any issues.

Thank you for your assistance,

Brian

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 8:46 AM Fox, John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Brian,
>
> Normally I'd expect that a workspace saved from a previous session and
> loaded at the start of the current session would cause this kind of
> anomalous behaviour, but that doesn't explain why the Rcmdr starts up
> properly in a second (concurrent?) session, nor why it doesn't start up
> properly when R is run with the --vanilla switch.
>
> Can you report the result of sessionInfo() at the start of a session?
>
> If all else fails, you could try uninstalling and reinstalling R and
> packages.
>
> Best,
>  John
>
>   -----------------------------
>   John Fox, Professor Emeritus
>   McMaster University
>   Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
>   Web: http::/socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox
>
> > On Mar 9, 2020, at 3:25 PM, Brian Grossman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm having a problem with launching Rcmdr. When I try to launch it the
> > first time through R using the command library(Rcmdr) it will go through
> > the process of launching and get to the point where it says
> >
> > "Registered S3 methods overwritten by 'lme4':
> >  method                          from
> >  cooks.distance.influence.merMod car
> >  influence.merMod                car
> >  dfbeta.influence.merMod         car
> >  dfbetas.influence.merMod        car
> > lattice theme set by effectsTheme()
> > See ?effectsTheme for details."
> >
> > and then it just hangs there and never launches Rcmdr. If you launch
> > another instance of R and run the same command it will complete and
> launch
> > Rcmdr successfully. I have tried launching R with R.exe --vanilla with
> the
> > same results.
> >
> > The system information is Windows 10 version 1903, i5 8500 processor, 8GB
> > RAM, 256Gb  SSD. R version 3.6.2 Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64
> (64-bit)
> >
> > Hopefully I haven't left out any important information. Thank you for any
> > suggestions.

Brian Grossman, (he/him/his) Desktop Support Specialist

College of Literature, Science, and the Arts <http://lsa.umich.edu/> |
University
of Michigan <http://umich.edu/>

LSA Technology Services | G240 Angell Hall | 435 S. State Street | Ann
Arbor, MI I 48109
Desk: 734.764.0774 | Cell: 734.260.1017 | For Immediate Assistance:
734.615.0100 | Email: g <[hidden email]>[hidden email]

Submit a support request anytime using our Guided Web Form
<http://lsa.umich.edu/ts/help>

Re: Problem launching Rcmdr

Fox, John
Dear Brian,

> On Mar 16, 2020, at 8:23 PM, Brian Grossman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> John,
>
> It appears that the new version of R   3.6.3 does not have this issue. I will be doing more testing and will let you know if we have any issues.

I'm glad that the Rcmdr is now working normally for you -- thanks for letting me know.

Since no one else has reported a similar problem under R 3.6.2, I suspect that your installation was somehow broken or strangely configured. I guess that we'll never know what the source of the problem was.

Best,
 John