Problem tracking down an R CMD check syntax error

Problem tracking down an R CMD check syntax error

Ulrike Grömping-2
Dear all,

I am stuck with tracking down an error I get from R CMD check (Windows, R 2.4.0, same error for R 2.2.1): when running R CMD check over a modified version of package relaimpo, I get the following output in install.out:

preparing package relaimpo for lazy loading
Error in parse(file, n, text, prompt) : syntax error at
2193:
}
2194:
Error: unable to load R code in package 'relaimpo'
Execution halted
make: *** [lazyload] Error 1
*** Installation of relaimpo failed ***

Regards, Ulrike

############## file which gets blamed #############
.onLoad <- function(lib, pkg){
   if(!require(MASS, quietly = TRUE))
        stop("Could not load package MASS")
   if(!require(boot, quietly = TRUE))
        stop("Could not load package boot")
   if(!require(methods, quietly = TRUE))
        stop("Could not load package methods")

cat("This is the non-US version of package relaimpo including the metric pmvd.","\n")
cat("Please make sure that you are entitled to using it.","\n")
cat("If you are a US-user, please use the global version (without pmvd) that is available on CRAN.","\n")

#cat("This is the global version of package relaimpo.","\n")
#cat( "If you are a non-US user, a version with the interesting additional metric pmvd is available","\n")
#cat("from Ulrike Groempings web site at www.tfh-berlin.de/~groemp.","\n")

}

I've tracked down the "}" in question, and it is in the file zzz.R that hasn't been changed for ages and works without problems in the current version of the package. I include this file below. Does anyone have a hint for me where I should look for the root cause of the problem ?

Re: Problem tracking down an R CMD check syntax error

Ulrike Groemping
My original post got slightly messed up somehow, so let me restructure it in order to make it understandable:

[...]

############## file zzz.R which gets blamed #############
.onLoad <- function(lib, pkg){
   if(!require(MASS, quietly = TRUE))
        stop("Could not load package MASS")
   if(!require(boot, quietly = TRUE))
        stop("Could not load package boot")
   if(!require(methods, quietly = TRUE))
        stop("Could not load package methods")

cat("This is the non-US version of package relaimpo including the metric pmvd.","\n")
cat("Please make sure that you are entitled to using it.","\n")
cat("If you are a US-user, please use the global version (without pmvd) that is available on CRAN.","\n")

#cat("This is the global version of package relaimpo.","\n")
#cat( "If you are a non-US user, a version with the interesting additional metric pmvd is available","\n")
#cat("from Ulrike Groempings web site at www.tfh-berlin.de/~groemp.","\n")

Re: Problem tracking down an R CMD check syntax error

Prof Brian Ripley
On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Ulrike Grömping wrote:

> My original post got slightly messed up somehow, so let me restructure it in
> order to make it understandable:
>
> Dear all,
>
> I am stuck with tracking down an error I get from R CMD check (Windows, R
> 2.4.0, same error for R 2.2.1): when running R CMD check over a modified
> version of package relaimpo, I get the following output in install.out:
>
> preparing package relaimpo for lazy loading
> Error in parse(file, n, text, prompt) : syntax error at
> 2193:
> }
> 2194:
> Error: unable to load R code in package 'relaimpo'
> Execution halted
> make: *** [lazyload] Error 1
> *** Installation of relaimpo failed ***
>
> I've tracked down the "}" in question, and it is in the file zzz.R that
> hasn't been changed for ages and works without problems in the current
> version of the package. I include this file below. Does anyone have a hint
> for me where I should look for the root cause of the problem ?
Earlier files: this is after concatenating all the files.

Check for missing final newlines on all the files, and that you can
source() them individually.