Problem with R CMD check and the inconsolata font business.

Problem with R CMD check and the inconsolata font business.

Rolf Turner-3

I have just installed R version 2.14.0 and tried to re-build and
re-check some
of the packages that I maintain.

I'm getting a warning (in the process of running R CMD check on my "deldir"
package):

> * checking PDF version of manual ... WARNING
> LaTeX errors when creating PDF version.
> This typically indicates Rd problems.
> LaTeX errors found:
> ! Font T1/fi4/m/n/10=ec-inconsolata at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric
> (TFM) file n
> ot found.
> <to be read again>
>                    relax
> l.19 ...lf Turner }\email{[hidden email]}
> ! \textfont 0 is undefined (character h).
> \Url@FormatString ...\Url@String \UrlRight \m@th $
>
> l.26 ...\AsIs{}\url{http://www.math.unb.ca/~rolf/}
>                                                   \AsIs{}
> ! \textfont 0 is undefined (character t).
> \Url@FormatString ...\Url@String \UrlRight \m@th $
>
> l.26 ...\AsIs{}\url{http://www.math.unb.ca/~rolf/}
>                                                   \AsIs{}
> ! \textfont 0 is undefined (character t).
         ...... etc., etc., etc., ad (almost) infinitum.

So there's some problem with a font file not being "loadable".

Can anyone tell me what the <expletive deleted> I should ***do***
about this?  I managed to install the "inconsolata" package from CTAN.
At least I think I managed; I downloaded the *.zip file and then unzipped
it in /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex.  And ran "texhash".  This stopped R CMD
check from complaining that the "inconsolata" package could not be found,
but then led to the further complaint described above.

So how do I make the required font "loadable"?  What files do I need?
Where do I get them?  And where should I put them once I've got them?

I would be grateful for any assistance that can be rendered.

(I know it's "just a warning", but I *hate* to ignore warnings!)

     cheers,

         Rolf Turner

P. S.  I'm running Ubuntu; session info, in case it's of any relevance is:

sessionInfo()
R version 2.14.0 (2011-10-31)
Platform: i686-pc-linux-gnu (32-bit)

locale:
  [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
  [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
  [5] LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8    LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
  [7] LC_PAPER=C                 LC_NAME=C
  [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] misc_0.0-15

Re: Problem with R CMD check and the inconsolata font business.

Brian Diggs
On 11/3/2011 12:37 AM, Rolf Turner wrote:

> I have just installed R version 2.14.0 and tried to re-build and
> re-check some
> of the packages that I maintain.
>
> I'm getting a warning (in the process of running R CMD check on my "deldir"
> package):
>
>> * checking PDF version of manual ... WARNING
>> LaTeX errors when creating PDF version.
>> This typically indicates Rd problems.
>> LaTeX errors found:
>> ! Font T1/fi4/m/n/10=ec-inconsolata at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric
>> (TFM) file n
>> ot found.
>> <to be read again>
>> relax
>> l.19 ...lf Turner }\email{[hidden email]}
>> ! \textfont 0 is undefined (character h).
>> \Url@FormatString ...\Url@String \UrlRight \m@th $
>>
>> l.26 ...\AsIs{}\url{http://www.math.unb.ca/~rolf/}
>> \AsIs{}
>> ! \textfont 0 is undefined (character t).
>> \Url@FormatString ...\Url@String \UrlRight \m@th $
>>
>> l.26 ...\AsIs{}\url{http://www.math.unb.ca/~rolf/}
>> \AsIs{}
>> ! \textfont 0 is undefined (character t).
> ...... etc., etc., etc., ad (almost) infinitum.
>
> So there's some problem with a font file not being "loadable".
>
> Can anyone tell me what the <expletive deleted> I should ***do***
> about this? I managed to install the "inconsolata" package from CTAN.
> At least I think I managed; I downloaded the *.zip file and then unzipped
> it in /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex. And ran "texhash". This stopped R CMD
> check from complaining that the "inconsolata" package could not be found,
> but then led to the further complaint described above.
>
> So how do I make the required font "loadable"? What files do I need?
> Where do I get them? And where should I put them once I've got them?
>
> I would be grateful for any assistance that can be rendered.
>
> (I know it's "just a warning", but I *hate* to ignore warnings!)
>
> cheers,
>
> Rolf Turner
>
> P. S. I'm running Ubuntu; session info, in case it's of any relevance is:
>
> sessionInfo()
> R version 2.14.0 (2011-10-31)
> Platform: i686-pc-linux-gnu (32-bit)
>
> locale:
> [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 LC_NUMERIC=C
> [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8 LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
> [5] LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8 LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
> [7] LC_PAPER=C LC_NAME=C
> [9] LC_ADDRESS=C LC_TELEPHONE=C
> [11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] stats graphics grDevices utils datasets methods base
>
> other attached packages:
> [1] misc_0.0-15

I'm having a similar, though different, problem with inconsolata.  It
may be the same root problem.  The error on R CMD check I get is:

* checking PDF version of manual ... WARNING
LaTeX errors when creating PDF version.
This typically indicates Rd problems.
LaTeX errors found:
!pdfTeX error: pdflatex.EXE (file ec-inconsolata): Font ec-inconsolata
at 540 n
ot found
  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

Now, oddly, there _is_ a -manual.pdf file in the .Rcheck directory
(despite the message saying no PDf was produced).  If I just try to run
the pdflatex on the -manual.tex file in that directory, I get the same
error and no PDF (?!)

I am on Windows 7 64 bit using MiKTeX 2.9; I get the same error whether
I use the 32 or 64 bit version of R for R CMD check.

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.14.0 (2011-10-31)
Platform: x86_64-pc-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252
[2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
[4] LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:

Some info from my tex installation (showing I have inconsolata installed
and that I am pulling the correct Rd.sty):

C:\>kpsewhich Rd.sty
C:/Program Files/R/R-2.14.0/share/texmf/tex/latex/Rd.sty

C:\>kpsewhich inconsolata.sty
C:/Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/tex/latex/inconsolata/inconsolata.sty

C:\>kpsewhich ec-inconsolata.tfm
C:/Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX
2.9/fonts/tfm/public/inconsolata/ec-inconsolata.tfm

--
Brian S. Diggs, PhD
Senior Research Associate, Department of Surgery

On 03/11/11 20:37, Rolf Turner wrote:

> I have just installed R version 2.14.0 and tried to re-build and
> re-check some
> of the packages that I maintain.
>
> I'm getting a warning (in the process of running R CMD check on my
> "deldir"
> package):
>
>> * checking PDF version of manual ... WARNING
>> LaTeX errors when creating PDF version.
>> This typically indicates Rd problems.
>> LaTeX errors found:
>> ! Font T1/fi4/m/n/10=ec-inconsolata at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric
>> (TFM) file n
>> ot found.
>> <to be read again>

<SNIP>

I received two replies off-line and one that was sent to the list.  The
gist of the
off-line replies was ``you need to install some fonts'', and (unusually,
and very
kindly! :-) ) the responders told me *how* to do so.

The first message that I read was from John Nash who wrote:
> Have you tried
>
> sudo apt-get install texlive-fonts-extra
>
> to get the font in? I had to do this just yesterday myself.
>
> If that works, maybe put a note on R-help. I've not sent to R-help in case it doesn't
> work, and we get a bunch of unnecessary noise.

Well it *did* work; thank you very much John!

A similar message from G. Jay Kerns said:
> It looks like you are missing some font files.  Did you do:
>
> apt-get install texlive-fonts-recommended ?

The third message (which *was* posted to the list) was from Brian Diggs,
who said that he was having a related problem:

> The error on R CMD check I get is:
>
> * checking PDF version of manual ... WARNING
> LaTeX errors when creating PDF version.
> This typically indicates Rd problems.
> LaTeX errors found:
> !pdfTeX error: pdflatex.EXE (file ec-inconsolata): Font ec-inconsolata
> at 540 n
> ot found
>  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

I think this is the same as/similar to the problem I had before I installed
the inconsolata (LaTeX) package from CTAN.  Since Brian does Windoze I
cannot advise as to how to install the package on his system, but I presume
it is not too difficult --- once you know how! :-)

I'm posting this so that John Nash's and Jay Kerns' solutions to my problem
are there in the archives ``for the record''.

Thanks to all who replied.

     cheers,

         Rolf Turner

On 11/3/2011 2:29 PM, Rolf Turner wrote:

> On 03/11/11 20:37, Rolf Turner wrote:
>>
>> I have just installed R version 2.14.0 and tried to re-build and
>> re-check some
>> of the packages that I maintain.
>>
>> I'm getting a warning (in the process of running R CMD check on my
>> "deldir"
>> package):
>>
>>> * checking PDF version of manual ... WARNING
>>> LaTeX errors when creating PDF version.
>>> This typically indicates Rd problems.
>>> LaTeX errors found:
>>> ! Font T1/fi4/m/n/10=ec-inconsolata at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric
>>> (TFM) file n
>>> ot found.
>>> <to be read again>
>
> <SNIP>
>
> I received two replies off-line and one that was sent to the list. The
> gist of the
> off-line replies was ``you need to install some fonts'', and (unusually,
> and very
> kindly! :-) ) the responders told me *how* to do so.

<SNIP (descriptions of how to install on various Linux distributions)>

> The third message (which *was* posted to the list) was from Brian Diggs,
> who said that he was having a related problem:
>
>> The error on R CMD check I get is:
>>
>> * checking PDF version of manual ... WARNING
>> LaTeX errors when creating PDF version.
>> This typically indicates Rd problems.
>> LaTeX errors found:
>> !pdfTeX error: pdflatex.EXE (file ec-inconsolata): Font ec-inconsolata
>> at 540 n
>> ot found
>> ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>
> I think this is the same as/similar to the problem I had before I installed
> the inconsolata (LaTeX) package from CTAN. Since Brian does Windoze I
> cannot advise as to how to install the package on his system, but I presume
> it is not too difficult --- once you know how! :-)

I thought that making sure the proper latex packages were installed
would be sufficient, but apparently not.  I found the actual font at
http://www.levien.com/type/myfonts/Inconsolata.otf, downloaded it, and
installed it.  It shows up in my list of fonts available (as Inconsolata
Medium) via the control panel.  However, I still get the same error from
R CMD check.  I tried rebuilding the TeX filename database, but that
didn't help.  I've searched my drive for any mention of inconsolata, and
the hits are:

./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/doc/fonts/inconsolata
./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/doc/fonts/inconsolata/inconsolata.pdf
./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/fonts/enc/dvips/inconsolata
./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/fonts/map/dvips/inconsolata
./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/fonts/opentype/public/inconsolata
./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/fonts/sfd/inconsolata
./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/fonts/tfm/public/inconsolata
./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX
2.9/fonts/tfm/public/inconsolata/ec-inconsolata.tfm
./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX
2.9/fonts/tfm/public/inconsolata/ei1-inconsolata.tfm
./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX
2.9/fonts/tfm/public/inconsolata/qx-inconsolata.tfm
./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX
2.9/fonts/tfm/public/inconsolata/rm-inconsolata.tfm
./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX
2.9/fonts/tfm/public/inconsolata/texnansi-inconsolata.tfm
./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX
2.9/fonts/tfm/public/inconsolata/ts1-inconsolata.tfm
./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/fonts/type1/public/inconsolata
./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/source/inconsolata-src.tar.bz2
./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/tex/latex/inconsolata
./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/tex/latex/inconsolata/inconsolata.sty
./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/tpm/packages/inconsolata.tpm

Which seems to confirm that TeX knows and has the font.

I would appreciate any further assistance.

--
Brian S. Diggs, PhD
Senior Research Associate, Department of Surgery
Oregon Health & Science University

Re: Problem with R CMD check and the inconsolata font business.

Ray Brownrigg-2
On Fri, 04 Nov 2011, Brian Diggs wrote:

> [...]

> ./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX
> 2.9/fonts/tfm/public/inconsolata/ei1-inconsolata.tfm
> ./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX
> 2.9/fonts/tfm/public/inconsolata/qx-inconsolata.tfm
> ./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX
> 2.9/fonts/tfm/public/inconsolata/rm-inconsolata.tfm
> ./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX
> 2.9/fonts/tfm/public/inconsolata/texnansi-inconsolata.tfm
> ./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX
> 2.9/fonts/tfm/public/inconsolata/ts1-inconsolata.tfm
> ./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/fonts/type1/public/inconsolata
> ./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/source/inconsolata-src.tar.bz2
> ./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/tex/latex/inconsolata
> ./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/tex/latex/inconsolata/inconsolata.sty
> ./Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/tpm/packages/inconsolata.tpm
>
> Which seems to confirm that TeX knows and has the font.
>
> I would appreciate any further assistance.

Brian:

When I first tried an R CMD check (or it was probably an R CMD INSTALL --build) using
R-2.14.0 on a Windows system with MiKTeX 2.8, MiKTeX went ahead and "automagically"
installed the required components from a CTAN repository (which I had to select on the
way).

Do you mind sending me (off-list) your package so I can check it with my (very old Pentium
III, Win XP) system?  [I see you are running a 64-bit system.]

Hope this helps,
Ray Brownrigg

Re: Problem with R CMD check and the inconsolata font business.

Brian Diggs
On 11/3/2011 3:30 PM, Brian Diggs wrote:

<SNIP>

>>> The error on R CMD check I get is:
>>>
>>> * checking PDF version of manual ... WARNING
>>> LaTeX errors when creating PDF version.
>>> This typically indicates Rd problems.
>>> LaTeX errors found:
>>> !pdfTeX error: pdflatex.EXE (file ec-inconsolata): Font ec-inconsolata
>>> at 540 n
>>> ot found
>>> ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>>
>> I think this is the same as/similar to the problem I had before I
>> installed
>> the inconsolata (LaTeX) package from CTAN. Since Brian does Windoze I
>> cannot advise as to how to install the package on his system, but I
>> presume
>> it is not too difficult --- once you know how! :-)
>
> I thought that making sure the proper latex packages were installed
> would be sufficient, but apparently not. I found the actual font at
> http://www.levien.com/type/myfonts/Inconsolata.otf, downloaded it, and
> installed it. It shows up in my list of fonts available (as Inconsolata
> Medium) via the control panel. However, I still get the same error from
> R CMD check. I tried rebuilding the TeX filename database, but that
> didn't help. I've searched my drive for any mention of inconsolata, and
> the hits are:

<SNIP>

Well, I figured it out.  Or at least got it working.  I had to run

initexmf --mkmaps

because apparently there was something wrong with my font mappings.  I
don't know why; I don't know how.  But it works now.  I think installing
the font into the Windows Font directory was not necessary.  I'm
including the solution in case anyone else has this problem.

--
Brian S. Diggs, PhD
Senior Research Associate, Department of Surgery
Oregon Health & Science University

Re: Problem with R CMD check and the inconsolata font business.

BenTaylor
Not sure if this is because things have changed with MikTeX, but I had to do

updmap

rather than

initexmf --mkmaps

Re: Problem with R CMD check and the inconsolata font business.

vincentvanhees
initexmf --mkmaps

did work for me, thanks all for posting

My specs:

R version 3.1.1 (2014-07-10)
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United Kingdom.1252  LC_CTYPE=English_United Kingdom.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United Kingdom.1252 LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United Kingdom.1252