Proper way to write data frame with column and row names

Proper way to write data frame with column and row names

Daren Tan

I need to write a data frame along with its column and row names to a text file. However, the first row in the text file is always short of one element. I have tried setting different parameters to write.table but that didn't help.

   A B
C 1 2
D 3 4

Using write.table(m, "table.xls", sep="\t", col.names=T, row.names=T) gives

A B
C 1 2
D 3 4

Re: Proper way to write data frame with column and row names

Simon Blomberg-4
Try setting row.names=FALSE in the call to write.table. If you really
need those row names, create a variable containing the row names in the
data frame. Then use write.table with row.names=FALSE.

HTH,

Simon.

On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 01:35 +0000, Daren Tan wrote:

> I need to write a data frame along with its column and row names to a text file. However, the first row in the text file is always short of one element. I have tried setting different parameters to write.table but that didn't help.

>    A B
> C 1 2
> D 3 4
>
> Using write.table(m, "table.xls", sep="\t", col.names=T, row.names=T) gives
>
> A B
> C 1 2
> D 3 4

Simon Blomberg, BSc (Hons), PhD, MAppStat.
Lecturer and Consultant Statistician
Faculty of Biological and Chemical Sciences
The University of Queensland
St. Lucia Queensland 4072
Australia
Room 320 Goddard Building (8)
T: +61 7 3365 2506
http://www.uq.edu.au/~uqsblomb
email: S.Blomberg1_at_uq.edu.au

Policies:
1.  I will NOT analyse your data for you.
2.  Your deadline is your problem.

The combination of some data and an aching desire for
an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can
be extracted from a given body of data. - John Tukey.