Question about NRC lexicon usage

Mehdi Dadkhah
Hi,
I hope you are doing well!
I used NRC lexicon and did sentiment analysis on my data. the result is:

         sentiment         count
anger               574
anticipation 1400
disgust          236
fear                 978
joy                   729
sadness            578
surprise         405
trust              2125
negative         1531
positive          3853

Total count of emotions: 7025
Total count of positive and negative sentiments: 5384
I am faced with a question: Why total count of emotions is not equal with
total count of sentiment?

I attached my R Code.
Thank you!
With best regards,

--
*Mehdi Dadkhah*

Re: Question about NRC lexicon usage

Peter Dalgaard-2
It is not obvious that this is an R question, but 2 suggestions

(a) some emotions are not clearly positive or negative (e.g. anticipation)
(b) emotions possibly not mutually exclusive

-pd

> On 31 Jul 2019, at 09:11 , Mehdi Dadkhah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I hope you are doing well!
> I used NRC lexicon and did sentiment analysis on my data. the result is:
>
>         sentiment         count
> anger               574
> anticipation 1400
> disgust          236
> fear                 978
> joy                   729
> sadness            578
> surprise         405
> trust              2125
> negative         1531
> positive          3853
>
> Total count of emotions: 7025
> Total count of positive and negative sentiments: 5384
> I am faced with a question: Why total count of emotions is not equal with
> total count of sentiment?
>
> I attached my R Code.
> Thank you!
> With best regards,
>
> --
> *Mehdi Dadkhah*

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Office: A 4.23

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 1:24 PM peter dalgaard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is not obvious that this is an R question, but 2 suggestions
>
> (a) some emotions are not clearly positive or negative (e.g. anticipation)
> (b) emotions possibly not mutually exclusive
>
> -pd
>
> > On 31 Jul 2019, at 09:11 , Mehdi Dadkhah <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I hope you are doing well!
> > I used NRC lexicon and did sentiment analysis on my data. the result is:
> >
> >         sentiment         count
> > anger               574
> > anticipation 1400
> > disgust          236
> > fear                 978
> > joy                   729
> > sadness            578
> > surprise         405
> > trust              2125
> > negative         1531
> > positive          3853
> >
> > Total count of emotions: 7025
> > Total count of positive and negative sentiments: 5384
> > I am faced with a question: Why total count of emotions is not equal with
> > total count of sentiment?
> >
> > I attached my R Code.
> > Thank you!
> > With best regards,
> >
> > --
> > *Mehdi Dadkhah*

> Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
> Phone: (+45)38153501
> Office: A 4.23

*Mehdi Dadkhah*
PhD candidate & Research assistant
Department of Management, Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences,
Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Mashhad, Iran
*Email Addresses:*

NRC lexicon usage sentiment analysis

Mehdi Dadkhah
Dear Colleagues,
I hope you are doing well!
I did sentiment analysis on two datasets. As these datasets do not have
same size, to compare emotions in two datasets, i calculated percentages.
In my work, i calculated total occurrence for each emotion for two datasets
separately.  To calculate percentage of each emotion. i used below equation:

Percentage of an emotion=(total occurrence of an emotion in a dataset/Total
occurrence of all emotions in a dataset)*100

when i calculated percentages for each emotion, in each dataset to
calculate difference in percentages of an emotion, i used below equation:

difference in percentages of an emotion= percentages of an emotion in
dataset A  - percentages of an emotion in dataset B
Is my practice  true?
Could you please answer my question?
Thank you very much!
With best regards,