Question about using R sample datasets

Maja Analytics
Hello!

I would like to make tutorials for non-data scientists in R on Medium and
as LinkedIn articles. Could you tell me if I can use R sample datasets (I
would note the acknowledgements on the end) for that?

Thanks in advance, kind regards,
Maja

Re: Question about using R sample datasets

David Winsemius
Any answer you get here will will have all the authority of "some guy on the Internet", but my reading of the licenses is that as long as you give proper credit that you can use any material in teaching or commercial purposes AND derivative works are likewise copy-able on an open source (FOSS) basis. You should read the LinkedIn TOS and make sure that posting there is not subject to some sort of publisher's copyright. That might be a violation fo the licensing for material copied from CRAN sources. Acknowledgment alone might not be an acceptable use. You may need to seek appropriate legal counsel or get opinions from the creators of the licensing language, since there are a variety of license.

David Winsemius, MD, (IANAL)

> On May 1, 2021, at 12:17 PM, Maja Analytics <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello!
>
> I would like to make tutorials for non-data scientists in R on Medium and
> as LinkedIn articles. Could you tell me if I can use R sample datasets (I
> would note the acknowledgements on the end) for that?
>
> Thanks in advance, kind regards,
> Maja

Re: Question about using R sample datasets

Maja Analytics
Thanks for the advice.

What about R code? Is that free to share? I would use my own dataset or
made up dataset, so I am only now interested what about R code, can I
screenshot it and then explain what is on the photo?

Maja

ned, 2. svi 2021. u 01:17 David Winsemius <[hidden email]> napisao
je:

> Any answer you get here will will have all the authority of "some guy on
> the Internet", but my reading of the licenses is that as long as you give
> proper credit that you can use any material in teaching or commercial
> purposes AND derivative works are likewise copy-able on an open source
> (FOSS) basis. You should read the LinkedIn TOS and make sure that posting
> there is not subject to some sort of publisher's copyright. That might be a
> violation fo the licensing for material copied from CRAN sources.
> Acknowledgment alone might not be an acceptable use. You may need to seek
> appropriate legal counsel or get opinions from the creators of the
> licensing language, since there are a variety of license.
>
> David Winsemius, MD, (IANAL)
>

> > On May 1, 2021, at 12:17 PM, Maja Analytics <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > I would like to make tutorials for non-data scientists in R on Medium and
> > as LinkedIn articles. Could you tell me if I can use R sample datasets (I
> > would note the acknowledgements on the end) for that?
> >
> > Thanks in advance, kind regards,
> > Maja

Re: Question about using R sample datasets

David Winsemius
Again, the terms of the license govern the legalities. I don’t think you would need any further efforts at licensing your commentary. Screenshots or text copies would both be just copies and the appropriate citations would probably be all that were needed. I do not think your commentary or explanatory work would need to be considered FOSS or a copyleft license. There are many instances of commercial, copyrighted books that contain portions of R source code. Several businesses exist that sell accessories or packages that depend on but are not part of core R. Some of them seem to me to be skirting the line of legality but I don’t think there have been any cases brought before judicial authorities. So your plans seems completely safe and well inside accepted and legal boundaries to my understanding.

David

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 2, 2021, at 2:39 AM, Maja Analytics <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Thanks for the advice.
>
> What about R code? Is that free to share? I would use my own dataset or made up dataset, so I am only now interested what about R code, can I screenshot it and then explain what is on the photo?
>
> Maja
>
> ned, 2. svi 2021. u 01:17 David Winsemius <[hidden email]> napisao je:
>> Any answer you get here will will have all the authority of "some guy on the Internet", but my reading of the licenses is that as long as you give proper credit that you can use any material in teaching or commercial purposes AND derivative works are likewise copy-able on an open source (FOSS) basis. You should read the LinkedIn TOS and make sure that posting there is not subject to some sort of publisher's copyright. That might be a violation fo the licensing for material copied from CRAN sources. Acknowledgment alone might not be an acceptable use. You may need to seek appropriate legal counsel or get opinions from the creators of the licensing language, since there are a variety of license.
>>
>> David Winsemius, MD, (IANAL)
>>

>> > On May 1, 2021, at 12:17 PM, Maja Analytics <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello!
>> >
>> > I would like to make tutorials for non-data scientists in R on Medium and
>> > as LinkedIn articles. Could you tell me if I can use R sample datasets (I
>> > would note the acknowledgements on the end) for that?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance, kind regards,
>> > Maja
>> >
>> >       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: Question about using R sample datasets

Jeff Newmiller
You have already been reminded that none of us are lawyers. There is license text associated with every package and base R, and it is not necessarily the same for all parts of R, so there is no way for us to answer your question in its vague form and no way for you to rely our opinions even if you do clarify.