R 4.0.1 crashes with R Commander

Paulo Figueiredo
Hi again,

as an update, I tried to open R Commander under R 32 bits and it worked,
but not with R Studio choosing the 32 bit R.

Thus, trying to load R Commander under R Studio (32 and 64 bits) or R 64
bits crashes the programmes. It only loads under 32 bit R 4.0.1.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers

Re: R 4.0.1 crashes with R Commander

Fox, John
Dear Paulo,

This is due to a known bug in R 4.0.1 for Windows that is general to Tcl/Tk. The bug should be fixed in the current patched version of R 4.0.1 for Windows, so you could use that or just go back to R 4.0.0.

Best,
 John

  -----------------------------
  John Fox, Professor Emeritus
  McMaster University
  Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  Web: http::/socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox

> On Jun 7, 2020, at 1:53 PM, Paulo Figueiredo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi again,
>
> as an update, I tried to open R Commander under R 32 bits and it worked, but not with R Studio choosing the 32 bit R.
>
> Thus, trying to load R Commander under R Studio (32 and 64 bits) or R 64 bits crashes the programmes. It only loads under 32 bit R 4.0.1.
>
> Appreciate any help.
>
> Cheers

Re: R 4.0.1 crashes with R Commander

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 07/06/2020 1:53 p.m., Paulo Figueiredo wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> as an update, I tried to open R Commander under R 32 bits and it worked,
> but not with R Studio choosing the 32 bit R.
>
> Thus, trying to load R Commander under R Studio (32 and 64 bits) or R 64
> bits crashes the programmes. It only loads under 32 bit R 4.0.1.

There's a report of a bug in 4.0.1 that causes this.  So far it's only
known to affect Windows, but it may also affect other systems. The only
thing you can do at the moment is install a nightly build of R-patched
with revision number of at least r78653.  You can get it from here:

https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rpatched.html