R API Call Failure Help

Vinish Vishwanathan
Hello All,

I just subscribed to this mail list and needed some help on an ongoing
issue with details stated below

Issue: An API call from R Shiny App to a server in Cloud fails with error:

Error:*  SSL read: error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0), errno 110
*  Connection died, retrying a fresh connect
*  Closing connection 18

Details: I am using the httr to do a POST call to the API.

Help Needed: Anyone from experience calling APIs from R, if can help to
identify the cause for the error.

My feeling is, its because of http Keep Alive and anyone parameter of it
which is not respected/expired, but not sure.

--
Regards
Vinish Viswanathan

Re: R API Call Failure Help

Bert Gunter-2
I think this is the wrong list. Shiny is an RStudio app and is not part of
R. You need to post on the RStudio site.

sticking things into it."

On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 3:15 PM Vinish Vishwanathan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I just subscribed to this mail list and needed some help on an ongoing
> issue with details stated below
>
> Issue: An API call from R Shiny App to a server in Cloud fails with error:
>
> Error:*  SSL read: error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0), errno 110
> *  Connection died, retrying a fresh connect
> *  Closing connection 18
>
> Details: I am using the httr to do a POST call to the API.
>
> Help Needed: Anyone from experience calling APIs from R, if can help to
> identify the cause for the error.
>
> My feeling is, its because of http Keep Alive and anyone parameter of it
> which is not respected/expired, but not sure.
>
> --
> Regards
> Vinish Viswanathan

Re: R API Call Failure Help

Jeff Newmiller
Shiny is not an app... it is a contributed R package on CRAN. Of course, with 15000 packages on CRAN this mailing list cannot necessarily support questions about all of them (read the Posting Guide).

That said, this question does not seem like the use of shiny is necessarily relevant because shiny itself does not define nor support calls to APIs. That is, I am not convinced that a shiny support forum is the right place to get an answer.

Given this, you (OP) may be able to make a reproducible example in R [1][2][3] that does not involve shiny and we could at least help identify which forum should be consulted. Of course this reprex would be useful to post in whatever forum appears to be relevant, or it could help you to understand the problem well enough to solve it yourself.

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example

[2] http://adv-r.had.co.nz/Reproducibility.html

[3] https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/reprex/index.html (read the vignette)

On December 22, 2019 3:44:19 PM PST, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I think this is the wrong list. Shiny is an RStudio app and is not part
>of
>R. You need to post on the RStudio site.
>

>Bert Gunter
>
>"The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along
>and
>sticking things into it."
>-- Opus (aka Berkeley Breathed in his "Bloom County" comic strip )
>

>On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 3:15 PM Vinish Vishwanathan
><[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I just subscribed to this mail list and needed some help on an
>ongoing
>> issue with details stated below
>>
>> Issue: An API call from R Shiny App to a server in Cloud fails with
>error:
>>
>> Error:*  SSL read: error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0), errno 110
>> *  Connection died, retrying a fresh connect
>> *  Closing connection 18
>>
>> Details: I am using the httr to do a POST call to the API.
>>
>> Help Needed: Anyone from experience calling APIs from R, if can help
>> identify the cause for the error.
>>
>> My feeling is, its because of http Keep Alive and anyone parameter of
>it
>> which is not respected/expired, but not sure.
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Vinish Viswanathan

Re: R API Call Failure Help