R CMD Batch on Windows and use of the ampersand

R CMD Batch on Windows and use of the ampersand

Erin Hodgess-2
Hello!  Merry Christmas to those of you celebrating it, and happy
holidays to those celebrating other holidays.

Here is a question about R CMD BATCH on Windows.  We know that

R CMD BATCH infile outfile &

On Linux or Mac will let you continue interactively from the command line.
However, it does not work with the interactive component from Windows.  Is
there a workaround for this, please?
Thanks,
Sincerely,
Erin
Erin Hodgess, PhD
mailto: [hidden email]

Re: R CMD Batch on Windows and use of the ampersand

Ivan Krylov
On Wed, 25 Dec 2019 09:13:28 -0800
Erin Hodgess <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We know that
>
> R CMD BATCH infile outfile &
>
> On Linux or Mac will let you continue interactively from the command
> line.

This is a property of the command line shell being used, not of R CMD
BATCH itself. One way to do the same on Windows would be to use the
start command [*]:

start "" R CMD BATCH infile outfile

If a new window being created is a problem for you, try start "" /MIN
or start "" /B, but I am not sure it would help.

--
Best regards,
Ivan

[*] https://ss64.com/nt/start.html

Re: R CMD Batch on Windows and use of the ampersand

Erin Hodgess-2
This is great information!  Thank you so much!

Sincerely,
Erin

Erin Hodgess, PhD
mailto: [hidden email]

On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 10:44 AM Ivan Krylov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Dec 2019 09:13:28 -0800
> Erin Hodgess <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > We know that
> >
> > R CMD BATCH infile outfile &
> >
> > On Linux or Mac will let you continue interactively from the command
> > line.
>
> This is a property of the command line shell being used, not of R CMD
> BATCH itself. One way to do the same on Windows would be to use the
> start command [*]:
>
> start "" R CMD BATCH infile outfile
>
> If a new window being created is a problem for you, try start "" /MIN
> or start "" /B, but I am not sure it would help.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Ivan
>
> [*] https://ss64.com/nt/start.html

Re: R CMD Batch on Windows and use of the ampersand

Richard M. Heiberger
Hi Erin.

I think the easiest way is to use sh, which is included as part of Rtools.

From the CMD command line, enter
c:/Rtools/bin/sh -i

You are now running a Unix shell, and all the behaviors you expect are
there, including ";" and "&"

Rich

On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 12:16 PM Erin Hodgess <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!  Merry Christmas to those of you celebrating it, and happy
> holidays to those celebrating other holidays.
>
> Here is a question about R CMD BATCH on Windows.  We know that
>
> R CMD BATCH infile outfile &
>
> On Linux or Mac will let you continue interactively from the command line.
> However, it does not work with the interactive component from Windows.  Is
> there a workaround for this, please?
> Thanks,
> Sincerely,
> Erin
> Erin Hodgess, PhD
> mailto: [hidden email]

Re: R CMD Batch on Windows and use of the ampersand

Erin Hodgess-2
Nice!
Thanks so much!

Take care,
Erin

On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 1:49 PM Richard M. Heiberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Erin.
>
> I think the easiest way is to use sh, which is included as part of Rtools.
>
> From the CMD command line, enter
> c:/Rtools/bin/sh -i
>
> You are now running a Unix shell, and all the behaviors you expect are
> there, including ";" and "&"
>
> Rich
>
> On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 12:16 PM Erin Hodgess <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello!  Merry Christmas to those of you celebrating it, and happy
> > holidays to those celebrating other holidays.
> >
> > Here is a question about R CMD BATCH on Windows.  We know that
> >
> > R CMD BATCH infile outfile &
> >
> > On Linux or Mac will let you continue interactively from the command
> line.
> > However, it does not work with the interactive component from Windows.
> Is
> > there a workaround for this, please?
> > Thanks,
> > Sincerely,