R CMD check with Matlab and perl?

Spencer Graves
Hi, All:

      How might one test Matlab and perl code during "R CMD check"?

      I ask for two reasons:  First, the "fda" package exists in both R
and Matlab, and it would help if we could run test examples in Matlab as
part of "R CMD check".  I tried "R.matlab", but could not get it to work
in that context.

      Second, I have professional colleagues who write code in Matlab
and perl, but have no unit or regression testing.  If I could test
Matlab and perl from within "R CMD check" examples, I think I could get
them to use it, because it would produce more "trustworthy software"
[the "Prime Directive" of Chambers (2008) Software for Data Analysis
(Springer)] AND give them documentation at the same time -- while
simultaneously reducing the cost of producing and maintaining code to
given specifications.

      Thanks,
      Spencer

Re: R CMD check with Matlab and perl?

Duncan Murdoch
Spencer Graves wrote:
> Hi, All:
>
>       How might one test Matlab and perl code during "R CMD check"?
>
>       I ask for two reasons:  First, the "fda" package exists in both R
> and Matlab, and it would help if we could run test examples in Matlab as
> part of "R CMD check".  I tried "R.matlab", but could not get it to work
> in that context.

Can you run the tests from the command line?  If so, you should be able
to call them from system() in a script in the tests directory,
or in an example section of an Rd file.

Duncan Murdoch

>       Second, I have professional colleagues who write code in Matlab
> and perl, but have no unit or regression testing.  If I could test
> Matlab and perl from within "R CMD check" examples, I think I could get
> them to use it, because it would produce more "trustworthy software"
> [the "Prime Directive" of Chambers (2008) Software for Data Analysis
> (Springer)] AND give them documentation at the same time -- while
> simultaneously reducing the cost of producing and maintaining code to
> given specifications.
>

>       Thanks,
>       Spencer

Re: R CMD check with Matlab and perl?

Paul Gilbert
Spencer

I do something a bit like this using make, and some "R like" directory
organization, to do "unit testing" of code for installing/checking
databases. The tests/ and an examples/ directory I added are fairly
straightforward. The fancier R things, like parsing examples out of Rd
files, and checking that documented arguments correspond to code, are
not so easy.

I think most of this fancy stuff is very specific to the R package
context, but it would be useful to think about how much of it could be
generalized.  Let me know if you want more detail on my test setup.

Paul

Spencer Graves wrote:

> Hi, All:
>      How might one test Matlab and perl code during "R CMD check"?
>      I ask for two reasons:  First, the "fda" package exists in both R
> and Matlab, and it would help if we could run test examples in Matlab as
> part of "R CMD check".  I tried "R.matlab", but could not get it to work
> in that context.
>      Second, I have professional colleagues who write code in Matlab and
> perl, but have no unit or regression testing.  If I could test Matlab
> and perl from within "R CMD check" examples, I think I could get them to
> use it, because it would produce more "trustworthy software" [the "Prime
> Directive" of Chambers (2008) Software for Data Analysis (Springer)] AND
> give them documentation at the same time -- while simultaneously
> reducing the cost of producing and maintaining code to given
> specifications.
>
>      Thanks,
>      Spencer

La version française suit le texte anglais.

This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the Bank of
Canada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying of this
unauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it immediately from

Le présent courriel peut contenir de l'information privilégiée ou confidentielle.
La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion,
personne autre que le ou les destinataires désignés est interdite. Si vous recevez
ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le supprimer immédiatement et envoyer sans délai à
l'expéditeur un message électronique pour l'aviser que vous avez éliminé de votre
ordinateur toute copie du courriel reçu.

Re: R CMD check with Matlab and perl?

Spencer Graves
Dear Paul:

<in line>

Paul Gilbert wrote:

> Spencer
>
> I do something a bit like this using make, and some "R like" directory
> organization, to do "unit testing" of code for installing/checking
> databases. The tests/ and an examples/ directory I added are fairly
> straightforward. The fancier R things, like parsing examples out of Rd
> files, and checking that documented arguments correspond to code, are
> not so easy.
>
> I think most of this fancy stuff is very specific to the R package
> context, but it would be useful to think about how much of it could be
> generalized.  Let me know if you want more detail on my test setup.
      Yes, I would like more detail.  Only yesterday, I was reviewing
your article in R News on "R Package Maintenance".  I could study that
and your comments here more carefully.  However, it would help to have a
bit more detail on how you make this work.

      Thanks very much.
      Spencer