R GUI

Amitoj S. Chopra
I am really new with R Graphical user interfacefunctions. I am developing a software package to calculate pKa (biochemistry) but I want to make it look aesthetically pleasing and make it user friendly. I have heard that R has some GUI (Graphical user interface) and you can do some really cool stuff out there. What are the limitations and what are some resources for help. I have found a couple of sources but I was wondering someone with more experience in the subject can guide me. Thanks!

Re: R GUI

Khanh Nguyen-2
I have toyed with 'traitr' recently... It is not fancy, but relatively
easy to figure out.

-k

vojta@trapa.cz
Dne Po 12. dubna 2010 22:00:21 Amitoj S. Chopra napsal(a):
> I am really new with R Graphical user interfacefunctions. I am developing a
> software package to calculate pKa (biochemistry) but I want to make it look
> aesthetically pleasing and make it user friendly. I have heard that R has
> some GUI (Graphical user interface) and you can do some really cool stuff
> out there. What are the limitations and what are some resources for help. I
> have found a couple of sources but I was wondering someone with more
> experience in the subject can guide me. Thanks!

Hello,
especially if You are Linux / Unix user, You can use Rkward GUI
(http://rkward.sourceforge.net/). It is written using KDE libraries
(http://www.kde.org/) using Nokia Qt (http://qt.nokia.com/) - it is powerful
multiplatform developer tool. Tons of programs are written in it. Although I'm
not developer, I'd recommend it. Another way is to write it in Java (I do not
like the language), which is very popular and nice looking language :-) or in
scripting languages lake Python (excellent tool) or Perl, which are usable on
all platforms and have a lot of supporting libraries and functions.
I hope it helps little bit. :-)
Best regards,
Vojtěch Zeisek

--
Vojtěch Zeisek

Komunita openSUSE GNU/Linuxu /
Community of the openSUSE GNU/Linux

http://www.opensuse.org/
http://web.natur.cuni.cz/~zeisek/

Vojtěch Zeisek
http://trapa.cz/en/

Department of Botany, Faculty of Science
Charles University in Prague
Benátská 2, Prague, 12801, CZ
http://botany.natur.cuni.cz/en/

Institute of Botany, Academy of Science
Zámek 1, Průhonice, 25243, CZ
http://www.ibot.cas.cz/en/

Czech Republic

http://www.opensuse.org/

Re: R GUI

Tengfei Yin
Hi

I like gWidgets, you can choose different api, like rgtk2,
tcltk....easy to use in R, looks pretty(at least for me), try the
examples in the website first, the link below is the answers with
tutorial links, you can also check gWidgets vignette.

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-gui/2008-August/000831.html

Regards

Tengfei

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Amitoj S. Chopra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am really new with R Graphical user interfacefunctions. I am developing a
> software package to calculate pKa (biochemistry) but I want to make it look
> aesthetically pleasing and make it user friendly. I have heard that R has
> some GUI (Graphical user interface) and you can do some really cool stuff
> out there. What are the limitations and what are some resources for help. I
> have found a couple of sources but I was wondering someone with more
> experience in the subject can guide me. Thanks!

Tengfei Yin
MCDB PhD student
1620 Howe Hall, 2274,
Iowa State University
Ames, IA,50011-2274
Homepage: www.tengfei.name
English Blog: www.tengfei.name/en
Chinese Blog: www.tengfei.name/ch

Re: R GUI

Amitoj S. Chopra
Hey do you know a good guide for traitr to learn from? Is this okay? Ive been trying it but it is difficult for me to learn. Thanks.

Amitoj

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/traitr/vignettes/traitr.pdf