' R ' - General Question (newbie)

Jay Mistry-4
Hi,

First-off, I apologize if this is the wrong list to post to, but I would
like to install and try out 'R', as an alternative to 'SAS' . As a newbie,
could you pl let me know about the following (in terms of online resources
and print books)

I have previously used SAS/BASE in a Biostatistics/ Epidemiology (Public
Health) class, and familiar with very basic terminology and SAS-BASE use.

1) Basics of 'R'

2) Where to download & How to install it on Windows (XP), and any needed
add-on modules (for Data Analysis and Biostatistics procedures) + others
similar to ODS of SAS.

2) Any print/ online documentation for the beginning user of R.

Thanks,

Jay

Re: ' R ' - General Question (newbie)

Gabor Grothendieck
Go the R home page and click on Manuals, click on Books
and click on Download in the left hand column.

google for R Contributed Documentation and take the first hit.
(To those who maintain the R home page -- this should be listed in
the left hand column as well.)

Also read the posting guide referenced at the bottom of every
post to r-help.

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 6:20 AM, Jay Mistry<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First-off, I apologize if this is the wrong list to post to, but I would
> like to install and try out 'R', as an alternative to 'SAS' . As a newbie,
> could you pl let me know about the following (in terms of online resources
> and print books)
>
> I have previously used SAS/BASE in a Biostatistics/ Epidemiology (Public
> Health) class, and familiar with very basic terminology and SAS-BASE use.
>
> 1) Basics of 'R'
>
> 2) Where to download & How to install it on Windows (XP), and any needed
> add-on modules (for Data Analysis and Biostatistics procedures) + others
> similar to ODS of SAS.
>
> 2) Any print/ online documentation for the beginning user of R.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jay

Re: ' R ' - General Question (newbie)

Mike Prager
Jay Mistry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> First-off, I apologize if this is the wrong list to post to, but I would
> like to install and try out 'R', as an alternative to 'SAS' . As a newbie,
> could you pl let me know about the following (in terms of online resources
> and print books)
>
> 1) Basics of 'R'
>
> 2) Where to download & How to install it on Windows (XP), and any needed
> add-on modules (for Data Analysis and Biostatistics procedures) + others
> similar to ODS of SAS.
>
> 2) Any print/ online documentation for the beginning user of R.

Gabor has given a useful suggestion: looking online.

You will find that R syntax (and mindset) are quite different
from SAS, so using an introductory text will save you time. I
think Peter Dalgaard's "Introductory Statistics with R" is quite
a good one, especially if you prefer something in the print
(rather than electronic) medium.

--
Mike Prager, NOAA, Beaufort, NC

Re: ' R ' - General Question (newbie)

Marc Schwartz-3

On Jul 10, 2009, at 12:35 PM, Mike Prager wrote:

> Jay Mistry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> First-off, I apologize if this is the wrong list to post to, but I
>> would
>> like to install and try out 'R', as an alternative to 'SAS' . As a
>> newbie,
>> could you pl let me know about the following (in terms of online
>> resources
>> and print books)
>>
>> 1) Basics of 'R'
>>
>> 2) Where to download & How to install it on Windows (XP), and any
>> needed
>> add-on modules (for Data Analysis and Biostatistics procedures) +
>> others
>> similar to ODS of SAS.
>>
>> 2) Any print/ online documentation for the beginning user of R.
>
> Gabor has given a useful suggestion: looking online.
>
> You will find that R syntax (and mindset) are quite different
> from SAS, so using an introductory text will save you time. I
> think Peter Dalgaard's "Introductory Statistics with R" is quite
> a good one, especially if you prefer something in the print
> (rather than electronic) medium.

I would also add a pointer to Bob Muenchen's book "R for SAS and SPSS
Users":

   http://rforsasandspssusers.com/

HTH,

Marc Schwartz