R-/Text-editor for Windows?

Sascha Vieweg
Tinn-R (http://www.sciviews.org/Tinn-R/) is one of the topmost
suggestions when googling an R-(text-)editor for Windows. However,
to me it appears dissappointing that Tinn-R does not handle utf-8
(mac-roman, or any other) encoded R-scripts or, in general, text
files. Besides Emacs and the R built-in editor, could you
recommend a good editor for Windows, even some commmercial for a
small price? (For a comparison, TextMate for OS X is 35 USD and
does a great job on all plain text and code related issues, not
only R.) Thanks, *S*

--
Sascha Vieweg, [hidden email]

Re: R-/Text-editor for Windows?

Jonathan P Daily
Notepad ++ handles just about anything and has an accompanying program
NppToR to make passing scripts easier.

Geany also handles a ton of filetypes, but lacks a direct interface to R
in the windows version - I wrote an AutoHotKey script that did this for me
in about 5 minutes. On the other hand, geany is cross platform.

As always, EMACS + ESS and Vim are also options.
--------------------------------------
Jonathan P. Daily
Technician - USGS Leetown Science Center
11649 Leetown Road
Kearneysville WV, 25430
(304) 724-4480
"Is the room still a room when its empty? Does the room,
 the thing itself have purpose? Or do we, what's the word... imbue it."
     - Jubal Early, Firefly

[hidden email] wrote on 01/28/2011 01:55:25 PM:

> [image removed]
>
> [R] R-/Text-editor for Windows?
>
> Sascha Vieweg
>
> to:
>
> r-help
>
> 01/28/2011 01:57 PM
>
> Sent by:
>
> [hidden email]
>
> Tinn-R (http://www.sciviews.org/Tinn-R/) is one of the topmost
> suggestions when googling an R-(text-)editor for Windows. However,
> to me it appears dissappointing that Tinn-R does not handle utf-8
> (mac-roman, or any other) encoded R-scripts or, in general, text
> files. Besides Emacs and the R built-in editor, could you
> recommend a good editor for Windows, even some commmercial for a
> small price? (For a comparison, TextMate for OS X is 35 USD and
> does a great job on all plain text and code related issues, not
> only R.) Thanks, *S*
>
> --
> Sascha Vieweg, [hidden email]

Re: R-/Text-editor for Windows?

Ista Zahn-2
I strongly suggest reconsidering your rejection of Emacs + ESS.
However, if you cannot be persuaded of this, I hear WinEdit is pretty
good.

In case you haven't already found them, the following resources may be helpful:

http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/projects/Editors.html
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1173463/recommendations-for-windows-text-editor-for-r

Best,
Ista

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Sascha Vieweg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tinn-R (http://www.sciviews.org/Tinn-R/) is one of the topmost suggestions
> when googling an R-(text-)editor for Windows. However, to me it appears
> dissappointing that Tinn-R does not handle utf-8 (mac-roman, or any other)
> encoded R-scripts or, in general, text files. Besides Emacs and the R
> built-in editor, could you recommend a good editor for Windows, even some
> commmercial for a small price? (For a comparison, TextMate for OS X is 35
> USD and does a great job on all plain text and code related issues, not only
> R.) Thanks, *S*
>
> --
> Sascha Vieweg, [hidden email]

Ista Zahn
Graduate student
University of Rochester
http://yourpsyche.org

Re: R-/Text-editor for Windows?

Tobias Verbeke-2
Hi Sascha,

On 01/28/2011 07:55 PM, Sascha Vieweg wrote:
> Tinn-R (http://www.sciviews.org/Tinn-R/) is one of the topmost
> suggestions when googling an R-(text-)editor for Windows. However, to me
> it appears dissappointing that Tinn-R does not handle utf-8 (mac-roman,
> or any other) encoded R-scripts or, in general, text files. Besides
> Emacs and the R built-in editor, could you recommend a good editor for
> Windows, even some commmercial for a small price? (For a comparison,
> TextMate for OS X is 35 USD and does a great job on all plain text and
> code related issues, not only R.)

One of the platform independent ones is StatET:

http://www.walware.de/goto/statet

Best,
Tobias

Re: R-/Text-editor for Windows?

Liviu Andronic
Hello

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Jonathan P Daily <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Geany also handles a ton of filetypes, but lacks a direct interface to R
> in the windows version - I wrote an AutoHotKey script that did this for me
> in about 5 minutes.

Could you please expand on that? I prefer to use Geany when working on
Linux, but I always found it annoying the Windows limitation.

Thank you
Liviu

Re: R-/Text-editor for Windows?

Gabor Grothendieck
On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 4:08 AM, Liviu Andronic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Jonathan P Daily <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Geany also handles a ton of filetypes, but lacks a direct interface to R
>> in the windows version - I wrote an AutoHotKey script that did this for me
>> in about 5 minutes.
>>
> Could you please expand on that? I prefer to use Geany when working on
> Linux, but I always found it annoying the Windows limitation.

There is a clip2r.js javascript function for Windows in the batchfiles
collection, http://batchfiles.googlecode.com .  It gives you the
essential code that allows you to build a facility a facility to copy
the current selection or buffer to R using the editor of your choice.
The way it works is that using your editor's scripting facility you
would create code to copy the current selection or buffer to the
clipboard and then run clip2r.js (which copies the clipboard to R).
The comments in the clip2r.js source provide such actuating code for
vim but there is nothing specific to vim about clip2r.js itself and it
should be usable from any sufficiently powerful editor if you are able
to create your own editor specific code to copy the current selection
or buffer to the clipboard, run clip2r.js and attach all that to a
key.

Not related but near the bottom of the page referenced above are some
autohotkey links that may be of interest.

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.
email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com

Re: R-/Text-editor for Windows?

Eduardo de Oliveira Horta
Sascha,

I guess the software you wan't is RKWard:

http://rkward.sourceforge.net/

I have tested a few R front-ends and to me this one seemed the most
adequate. I suppose as an ex-matlab user my interface preferences are
biased, but still RKWard has a good editor with syntax highlighting,
code folding, auto-completion and function hinting, and since it also
incorporates the R console into it's structure, anything you type in
the console window will be highlighted and hinted (if a function) as
well. And it's free.

I've tried Emacs Speaks Statistics and found it just confusing, to say
the least (by the way, I'm puzzled by why so many people adhere to
this one. Maybe it's a matter of getting used to it...?). Tinn-R (up
to the version I tested) didn't integrate well with R. WinEDT is good.

Give it a try and tell us what you think.

Best regards,

Eduardo Horta

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 4:55 PM, Sascha Vieweg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tinn-R (http://www.sciviews.org/Tinn-R/) is one of the topmost suggestions
> when googling an R-(text-)editor for Windows. However, to me it appears
> dissappointing that Tinn-R does not handle utf-8 (mac-roman, or any other)
> encoded R-scripts or, in general, text files. Besides Emacs and the R
> built-in editor, could you recommend a good editor for Windows, even some
> commmercial for a small price? (For a comparison, TextMate for OS X is 35
> USD and does a great job on all plain text and code related issues, not only
> R.) Thanks, *S*
>
> --
> Sascha Vieweg, [hidden email]

Re: R-/Text-editor for Windows?

jthetzel
Sascha,

I second Tobias' recommendation of Eclipse with StatET.  Like Emacs, Eclipse is platform independent and easily extensible to essentially any other language, as well as revision control like git and svn.  I used to use Tinn-R, but haven't been back seen switching to Eclipse.

Jeremy

Jeremy Hetzel
Boston University
Jeremy T. Hetzel
Boston University

Re: R-/Text-editor for Windows?

Eduardo de Oliveira Horta
I'm testing StatET right now. Seems nice. In many aspects it resembles
the features offered by RKWard (which is a KDE application and thus
also platform independent... in principle. No pre-compiled OSX version
yet).

For those interested, I found an explanation on how to set StatET
running. Might be helpful, so here it goes:

http://lukemiller.org/index.php/2010/04/eclipse-and-statet-a-nice-working-environment-for-r/

Best regards,

Eduardo

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 12:19 PM, jthetzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sascha,
>
> I second Tobias' recommendation of Eclipse with StatET.  Like Emacs, Eclipse
> is platform independent and easily extensible to essentially any other
> language, as well as revision control like git and svn.  I used to use
> Tinn-R, but haven't been back seen switching to Eclipse.
>
> Jeremy
>
> Jeremy Hetzel
> Boston University

Re: R-/Text-editor for Windows?

Sascha Vieweg
On 11-01-28 19:55, Sascha Vieweg wrote:

[...]

> Besides Emacs and the R built-in editor, could you recommend a
> good editor for Windows, even some commmercial for a small
> price?

Thanks for all your answers and experiences. You helped a lot.

*S*

Re: R-/Text-editor for Windows?

Julian Burgos-3
> I've tried Emacs Speaks Statistics and found it just confusing, to say
> the least (by the way, I'm puzzled by why so many people adhere to
> this one. Maybe it's a matter of getting used to it...?)

You are right... it is confusing, and it takes some time to get used
to, and it is not for everyone.  But, it is totally customizable, and
combined with org mode and org babel it becomes a tool as no other.
I´ve tried about every editor, including Tinn-R, Notepad++, and
Eclipse with StatEt, but after switching to Emacs/ESS there is no
turning back.

Julian
--
Julian Mariano Burgos
Hafrannsóknastofnunin/Marine Research Institute

Re: R-/Text-editor for Windows?

Jonathan P Daily
Well, AutoHotKey [1] is a free program/scripting language that runs
scripts to perform basic window handling, file I/O, and program execution.
It also allows you to bind the running of these scripts to keys or
mouse-strokes with the option of making each window-specific. NppToR is
actually a compiled AutoHotKey script designed to do Notepad++ specific
things. For example, one of my generic, slower, user-unfriendly scripts
is:

TestConsole()
{
        IfWinNotExist, ahk_class Console_2_Main,
        {
                Run, C:\Documents and Settings\jdaily\Console2\Console.exe
-t R
                WinWait, ahk_class Console_2_Main,

ActivateConsole()
{
        TestConsole()
        WinActivate, ahk_class Console_2_Main,
        WinWaitActive, ahk_class Console_2_Main,
}

#1::
WinGetActiveTitle, editor
old_clipboard = %clipboard%
Send, {CTRLDOWN}c{CTRLUP}
ActivateConsole()
Send, {CTRLDOWN}{END}{CTRLUP}{RETURN}
WinActivate, %editor%,
clipboard = %old_clipboard%
return

What it does when I press the Super+1 is assign the current window to a
variable "editor", backup my current clipboard, and copy my highlighted
text. Then it checks to see if Console [2] is active and opens console
with R if not open. It pastes the copied text and reactivates "editor",
restoring my old clipboard. Its nice because it works whether I'm in
Geany, Notepad, MSword, etc., but I didn't bother doing any checking to
make sure console's active tab is R. This could easily be solved if you
just use RTerm/RGui by replacing all the instances of Console with the
appropriate R executable.

[1]www.autohotkey.com
[2]sourceforge.net/projects/console