R applications deployment models?

Ali M.
I am new to R
And while learning the language inside the dev tools is easy and fun

I wonder how R applications are deployed and distributed to the typical
business users

I searched online of course and found some commercial options
The revolution r enterprise platform
Shiny r server from the makers of r-studio
There was also a video on youtube about a company wrapping their R
application in tcl/tk gui apps

But what else is available, what are the best practices ? is there free
alternatives to the commercial options i mentioned above?

Thanks
Ali

Re: R applications deployment models?

Jeff Newmiller
R is not designed as an application development programming language. Your question is a bit like asking why a car does not float like a boat. If you want to distribute analyses broadly then you are likely to either need to do it using a server or to expect users to become somewhat familiar with R.
Also, IANAL but don't forget that you will probably have obligations under the GPL if you modify R to fit it into a deployable application.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing

On September 28, 2015 1:23:43 AM PDT, "Ali M." <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I am new to R
>And while learning the language inside the dev tools is easy and fun
>
>I wonder how R applications are deployed and distributed to the typical
>business users
>
>I searched online of course and found some commercial options
>The revolution r enterprise platform
>Shiny r server from the makers of r-studio
>There was also a video on youtube about a company wrapping their R
>application in tcl/tk gui apps
>
>But what else is available, what are the best practices ? is there free
>alternatives to the commercial options i mentioned above?
>
>Thanks
>Ali

Re: R applications deployment models?

John McKown
On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 8:15 AM, Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> R is not designed as an application development programming language.

​This is an interesting statement to me. I don't really understand it. I
have developed some applications in R. Do do you mean _commercial_
applications (i.e. something paid for)?​ I think of R a bit like I think of
SAS (which may be stupid of me). There are some commercial SAS applications
(one that I know of is MXG for doing performance analysis and reporting on
a specific OS - z/OS, which runs on IBM z series "mainframes").

​<snip>​

--

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a
restore is attempted.

Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

Re: R applications deployment models?

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 28/09/2015 4:23 AM, Ali M. wrote:
> I am new to R
> And while learning the language inside the dev tools is easy and fun
>
> I wonder how R applications are deployed and distributed to the typical
> business users

Typically as web applications, rather than standalone executables.

> I searched online of course and found some commercial options
> The revolution r enterprise platform
> Shiny r server from the makers of r-studio
> There was also a video on youtube about a company wrapping their R
> application in tcl/tk gui apps
>
> But what else is available, what are the best practices ? is there free
> alternatives to the commercial options i mentioned above?

Shiny is free.  You can pay them to run the server hosting your
application and give you access to support, but you don't need to do
that if you don't mind running it yourself and asking the community for
help.  I'm not familiar with the others.

Re: R applications deployment models?

Jeff Newmiller
I am not necessarily referring to the business model (though many people asking this question are), but rather the install-to-bare-os deployment model that controls the user experience throughout. You typically need to install R as a separate product and use it interactively to kick your "application" into gear, should you choose to develop such.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing

On September 28, 2015 6:26:57 AM PDT, John McKown <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 8:15 AM, Jeff Newmiller
><[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>> R is not designed as an application development programming language.
>

>​This is an interesting statement to me. I don't really understand it.
>have developed some applications in R. Do do you mean _commercial_
>applications (i.e. something paid for)?​ I think of R a bit like I
>think of
>SAS (which may be stupid of me). There are some commercial SAS
>applications
>(one that I know of is MXG for doing performance analysis and reporting
>on
>a specific OS - z/OS, which runs on IBM z series "mainframes").
>
>​<snip>​

Re: R applications deployment models?

John McKown
On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 9:19 AM, Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I am not necessarily referring to the business model (though many people
> asking this question are), but rather the install-to-bare-os deployment
> model that controls the user experience throughout. You typically need to
> install R as a separate product and use it interactively to kick your
> "application" into gear, should you choose to develop such.

​Thanks. That helps me understand better. A difficult task on a Monday
morning after coming back from vacation! <grin/>​