R commander (Rcmdr) won't start [SOLVED]

R commander (Rcmdr) won't start [SOLVED]

ulliani
I managed to get Rcmdr working simply by deleting the .Rdata and .Rhistory
file from the work directory. It is rather weird, as I thought they only
contained data and settings, but probably some of these belonged to the
older version of R/Rcmdr and were not compatible with the new version.
I'll keep the old data files in a separate folder and try to open them as a
workspace after launching Rcmdr, but I won't do it now as I need Rcmdr to
work in the next days and I don't want to take any risks...

Re: R commander (Rcmdr) won't start [SOLVED]

Jeff Newmiller
Experienced R users avoid creating .Rdata files (with nothing in front of the period) because R will automatically load them and any mistakes recorded there can interfere with future uses of R when started from the directory containing that file. RData files with something in front of the period can be loaded interactively and any problems they bring can be avoided by simply not choosing to load them.

.Rhistory files have no such negative effect... it is highly unlikely that that file was causing you any problems. They are just a record of R commands that have been used and are only retrieved by R user interfaces such as Rgui or RStudio upon request.

On December 6, 2019 10:38:45 AM PST, gabriele pallotti <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I managed to get Rcmdr working simply by deleting the .Rdata and
>.Rhistory
>file from the work directory. It is rather weird, as I thought they
>only
>contained data and settings, but probably some of these belonged to the
>older version of R/Rcmdr and were not compatible with the new version.
>I'll keep the old data files in a separate folder and try to open them
>as a
>workspace after launching Rcmdr, but I won't do it now as I need Rcmdr
>work in the next days and I don't want to take any risks...

Re: R commander (Rcmdr) won't start [SOLVED]

Fox, John
Dear Gabriele,

I'm glad that you were able to solve your problem. I spent a bit of time today updating my R from 3.6.0 to 3.6.1 and updating all R packages on Ubuntu, and, for what is now an obvious reason, I was unable to duplicate the problem.

Saving the .Rhistory file is benign but saving the R workspace at the end of a session in .RData can be problematic, and not just for the Rcmdr. You'll notice that while R makes saving the workspace the default (presumably to avoid inadvertent data loss, and in my opinion not a good default choice), the Rcmdr doesn't offer to save the R workspace when you select "File > Exit > From Commander and R" from the Rcmdr menus.

Best,
 John

  -----------------------------
  John Fox, Professor Emeritus
  McMaster University
  Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  Web: http::/socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox

> On Dec 6, 2019, at 1:38 PM, gabriele pallotti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I managed to get Rcmdr working simply by deleting the .Rdata and .Rhistory
> file from the work directory. It is rather weird, as I thought they only
> contained data and settings, but probably some of these belonged to the
> older version of R/Rcmdr and were not compatible with the new version.
> I'll keep the old data files in a separate folder and try to open them as a
> workspace after launching Rcmdr, but I won't do it now as I need Rcmdr to
> work in the next days and I don't want to take any risks...

Re: R commander (Rcmdr) won't start [SOLVED]

ulliani
Dear John,
thank you for your prompt reply. An inexperienced user like me tends to see
the .Rdata folder like the document folder for other programs, and, as one
doesn't have to delete the document folder when updating Libreoffice, tends
to think the same for R.
But let me take the opportunity to express a huge thank you for your work
on Rcmdr. For people like me, who do statistical analyses just a few times
a year, it is a very precious resource, which can also serve as an
introduction to command-line R. As an applied linguist with a background in
semiotics, I would have plenty of reasons to explain why a graphic
interface is such a good thing. As a taxpayer, I appreciate the fact that
it makes us saves money as it allows students and researchers in the
humanities, like me, to do some basic statistics without buying SPSS
licences.
I don't want to open a debate here on the pros and cons of graphical
interfaces. Let me just say you're doing an excellent service to the
community, both with your package and your replies to this forum, which
shows you're a really kind person and deserve all our appreciation.
Best wishes
Gabriele Pallotti (Italy)

Il giorno ven 6 dic 2019 alle ore 22:58 Fox, John <[hidden email]> ha
scritto:

> Dear Gabriele,
>
> I'm glad that you were able to solve your problem. I spent a bit of time
> today updating my R from 3.6.0 to 3.6.1 and updating all R packages on
> Ubuntu, and, for what is now an obvious reason, I was unable to duplicate
> the problem.
>
> Saving the .Rhistory file is benign but saving the R workspace at the end
> of a session in .RData can be problematic, and not just for the Rcmdr.
> You'll notice that while R makes saving the workspace the default
> (presumably to avoid inadvertent data loss, and in my opinion not a good
> default choice), the Rcmdr doesn't offer to save the R workspace when you
> select "File > Exit > From Commander and R" from the Rcmdr menus.
>
> Best,
>  John
>
>   -----------------------------
>   John Fox, Professor Emeritus
>   McMaster University
>   Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
>   Web: http::/socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox
>
> > On Dec 6, 2019, at 1:38 PM, gabriele pallotti <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I managed to get Rcmdr working simply by deleting the .Rdata and
> .Rhistory
> > file from the work directory. It is rather weird, as I thought they only
> > contained data and settings, but probably some of these belonged to the
> > older version of R/Rcmdr and were not compatible with the new version.
> > I'll keep the old data files in a separate folder and try to open them
> as a
> > workspace after launching Rcmdr, but I won't do it now as I need Rcmdr to
> > work in the next days and I don't want to take any risks...

Re: R commander (Rcmdr) won't start [SOLVED]

Fox, John
Dear Gabriele,

> On Dec 8, 2019, at 3:35 AM, gabriele pallotti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear John,
> thank you for your prompt reply. An inexperienced user like me tends to see the .Rdata folder like the document folder for other programs, and, as one doesn't have to delete the document folder when updating Libreoffice, tends to think the same for R.

The potential problem with .RData is that it's not just a file that saves the contents of the R workspace at the end of a session, but that the saved workspace is then loaded at the start of a subsequent session. This can create problems (again, not just for the Rcmdr) in that subsequent session, and not only when R is updated.

> But let me take the opportunity to express a huge thank you for your work on Rcmdr. For people like me, who do statistical analyses just a few times a year, it is a very precious resource, which can also serve as an introduction to command-line R. As an applied linguist with a background in semiotics, I would have plenty of reasons to explain why a graphic interface is such a good thing. As a taxpayer, I appreciate the fact that it makes us saves money as it allows students and researchers in the humanities, like me, to do some basic statistics without buying SPSS licences.
> I don't want to open a debate here on the pros and cons of graphical interfaces. Let me just say you're doing an excellent service to the community, both with your package and your replies to this forum, which shows you're a really kind person and deserve all our appreciation.

Thank you for your very kind remarks.

Best,
 John

> Best wishes
> Gabriele Pallotti (Italy)
>

> Il giorno ven 6 dic 2019 alle ore 22:58 Fox, John <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> Dear Gabriele,
>
> I'm glad that you were able to solve your problem. I spent a bit of time today updating my R from 3.6.0 to 3.6.1 and updating all R packages on Ubuntu, and, for what is now an obvious reason, I was unable to duplicate the problem.
>
> Saving the .Rhistory file is benign but saving the R workspace at the end of a session in .RData can be problematic, and not just for the Rcmdr. You'll notice that while R makes saving the workspace the default (presumably to avoid inadvertent data loss, and in my opinion not a good default choice), the Rcmdr doesn't offer to save the R workspace when you select "File > Exit > From Commander and R" from the Rcmdr menus.
>
> Best,
>  John
>
>   -----------------------------
>   John Fox, Professor Emeritus
>   McMaster University
>   Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
>   Web: http::/socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox
>
> > On Dec 6, 2019, at 1:38 PM, gabriele pallotti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I managed to get Rcmdr working simply by deleting the .Rdata and .Rhistory
> > file from the work directory. It is rather weird, as I thought they only
> > contained data and settings, but probably some of these belonged to the
> > older version of R/Rcmdr and were not compatible with the new version.
> > I'll keep the old data files in a separate folder and try to open them as a
> > workspace after launching Rcmdr, but I won't do it now as I need Rcmdr to
> > work in the next days and I don't want to take any risks...

Re: [FORGED] Re: R commander (Rcmdr) won't start [SOLVED]

Rolf Turner

On 8/12/19 9:35 pm, gabriele pallotti wrote:

> Dear John,
> thank you for your prompt reply. An inexperienced user like me tends to see
> the .Rdata folder like the document folder for other programs, and, as one
> doesn't have to delete the document folder when updating Libreoffice, tends
> to think the same for R.

<SNIP>

You should be aware that .RData (note the upper case "D") is *not* a
"folder" (or "directory" in the parlance of civilised, i.e. Linux,
users).  Rather it is a single binary *file*.  It behaves like a
directory in some sense in that it "contains" (or may contain)  one or
may R objects which similarly are "like" individual files.  However
there is a distinction and it can be important to keep this distinction
in mind in order to understand subtle phenomena that may appear.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Honorary Research Fellow